diy solar

diy solar

Difficult to determine which simple inverter can be trusted in the 2k to 3k range..

Boo3

Over the last several months, I have attempted to establish a solar power system to act as an emergency backup as well as a way to reduce the size of power bills. I understand electricity but am a noob when it comes to a solar power system. I had bought a Renogy 2000 watt 12V inverter to set up power system to keep a refrigerator/freezer running in the garage. It seemed reliable and working well - until it didn't. It shut down for a ground fault and left the frig unpowered overnight. No understandable reason. I now don't trust it. I am looking to replace it, but it seems impossible to find one that the consensus is that a certain inverter can be trusted to be fail-proof. I really need reliability so the thaw-out doesn't happen again. Is there an inverter you guys have had running "for years" without failure?

I am sorry to say but with a bit of research you would have learned that "Renogy" = Run oh gee. They are a shlock product.

The reality that remains true always, you get what you pay for. Sorry, I know it's a pisser.

Proper TIER-1 PRODUCT is not cheap but will provide power for decades reliably and without worry.

Hard nuts truth:
12V is highly limited to light stuff.. RVs,campers and small stuff. People over push it and expect too much doing so... Most learn the $$$ foolishness later. You'll never get 350 horse power out of a 1981 Chevette if you get my meaning. DC POWER,& RELATED ARE NOTHING LIKE AC POWER, accept that fact.

Motors - fridge, freezers, AC, all compressors are hard start and draw a crap load at startup relative to the preload the to "push" against. Like an air compressor with no air in the tank provides no resistance at start But if there's 40psi in tank it has to push that creating a heavy start load. More pressure = more amps to start. Typical 120V motor can and will pull 15/20A to start under load. That's 1800/2400w. Start surge for up to 60 seconds. To be able to properly handle just that you want 3000w of inverter without overhear coverage.

Optimally, a 3000w Pure some "Low Frequency" can serve that well and allow for surges and overhead loading with issue.
Please review for better understand of Low vs High frequency inversion tech.

There are several 12V/3000W LF inverter/chargers out there from value grade cheap Chinese models to high end Samlex/Victron tier-1 products and priced accordingly of course. Features, functions and capabilities go accordingly.

I can VERY HIGHLY RECOMMEND this for 12V. There are fully listed, used for telecom & emergency services & military applications as well... May even be in the ambulance or fire truck tearing down your road.

Hope it helps, good luck
Steve_S

PS:. BEST BANG FOR BUCK FOR ONE OF THESE

Last edited:
Over the last several months, I have attempted to establish a solar power system to act as an emergency backup as well as a way to reduce the size of power bills. I understand electricity but am a noob when it comes to a solar power system. I had bought a Renogy 2000 watt 12V inverter to set up power system to keep a refrigerator/freezer running in the garage. It seemed reliable and working well - until it didn't. It shut down for a ground fault and left the frig unpowered overnight. No understandable reason. I now don't trust it. I am looking to replace it, but it seems impossible to find one that the consensus is that a certain inverter can be trusted to be fail-proof. I really need reliability so the thaw-out doesn't happen again. Is there an inverter you guys have had running "for years" without failure?
Low end inverters like your Renogy have published specs that are grossly exaggerated/misleading and poor quality control. As others have mentioned there are many higher end inverters that are more reliable but they can be much more expensive. If you don't want to spend the money for a higher end inverter than I suggest you pick a low end inverter vendor with better support (Giandel comes to mind) and de-rate the specs at least 50% for long term usage life.

Since Steve already recommended the Samlex 3000 watt EVO inverter/charger, which would be my first choice, another one to look at is the Sigineer 3000 watt inverter/charger. It does not have near the features as the Samlex EVO, but is a good solid low frequency inverter/charger unit.

Note: A Samlex EVO RC Plus remote is needed to program the Samlex EVO inverter charger.

120 Volt

120/240 Volt Split Phase

Last edited:
Since Steve already recommended the Samlex 3000 watt EVO inverter/charger, which would be my first choice, another one to look at is the Sigineer 3000 watt inverter/charger. It does not have near the features as the Samlex EVO, but is a good solid low frequency inverter/charger unit.

Note: A Samlex EVO RC Plus remote is needed to program the Samlex EVO inverter charger.

120 Volt

120/240 Volt Split Phase

Re-labeled Sigineer:

After shipping would probably be about the same, but ECPC provides actual support.

Re-labeled Sigineer:

After shipping would probably be about the same, but ECPC provides actual support.

I agree support is important as Amazon support can end after the 30 day return policy, but I did notice on the the 120 volt Sigineer 3000 watt inverter/charger link that it was sold by Sigineer and shipped by Amazon. Don't know if that would help with support or not. It is always a gamble on Amazon.

Can order direct from Sigineer, but probably cost more.

I once had a rebranded Sigineer called Sungold Power 12 volt 2000 watt inverter-charger. It was a good unit, but was missing a few items that the Sigineer had. Still a good solid unit.

Last edited:
I am sorry to say but with a bit of research you would have learned that "Renogy" = Run oh gee. They are a shlock product.

The reality that remains true always, you get what you pay for. Sorry, I know it's a pisser.

Proper TIER-1 PRODUCT is not cheap but will provide power for decades reliably and without worry.

Hard nuts truth:
12V is highly limited to light stuff.. RVs,campers and small stuff. People over push it and expect too much doing so... Most learn the $$$ foolishness later. You'll never get 350 horse power out of a 1981 Chevette if you get my meaning. DC POWER,& RELATED ARE NOTHING LIKE AC POWER, accept that fact.

Motors - fridge, freezers, AC, all compressors are hard start and draw a crap load at startup relative to the preload the to "push" against. Like an air compressor with no air in the tank provides no resistance at start But if there's 40psi in tank it has to push that creating a heavy start load. More pressure = more amps to start. Typical 120V motor can and will pull 15/20A to start under load. That's 1800/2400w. Start surge for up to 60 seconds. To be able to properly handle just that you want 3000w of inverter without overhear coverage.

Optimally, a 3000w Pure some "Low Frequency" can serve that well and allow for surges and overhead loading with issue.
Please review for better understand of Low vs High frequency inversion tech.

There are several 12V/3000W LF inverter/chargers out there from value grade cheap Chinese models to high end Samlex/Victron tier-1 products and priced accordingly of course. Features, functions and capabilities go accordingly.

I can VERY HIGHLY RECOMMEND this for 12V. There are fully listed, used for telecom & emergency services & military applications as well... May even be in the ambulance or fire truck tearing down your road.

Hope it helps, good luck
Steve_S

PS:. BEST BANG FOR BUCK FOR ONE OF THESE
The "research" that I did was not as deep as I could have performed. Granted, after it switched off on me, further research showed me that even a 2000 Watt inverter with a name common on forums may not have the power to start a compressor of a refrigerator. Did I mention I was a Noob?
So, while I understand that most recommendations will be to pay over 1 Grand for an inverter. Then again, I am looking for those who spent half that much and found that their inverter is rocking on for a long time with no problems. I'm hoping that there are those without Platinum prices as I really would like to put a system in for my daughter at her house without paying Tier One prices.
Thanks for the schooling.

I agree support is important as Amazon support can end after the 30 day return policy, but I did notice on the the 120 volt Sigineer 3000 watt inverter/charger link that it was sold by Sigineer and shipped by Amazon. Don't know if that would help with support or not. It is always a gamble on Amazon.

Can order direct from Sigineer, but probably cost more.

I once had a rebranded Sigineer called Sungold Power 12 volt 2000 watt inverter-charger. It was a good unit, but was missing a few items that the Sigineer had. Still a good solid unit.
So, would you recommend Sungold for my purpose?

120 Volt

120/240 Volt Split Phase
Thank you for the links. I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Low end inverters like your Renogy have published specs that are grossly exaggerated/misleading and poor quality control. As others have mentioned there are many higher end inverters that are more reliable but they can be much more expensive. If you don't want to spend the money for a higher end inverter than I suggest you pick a low end inverter vendor with better support (Giandel comes to mind) and de-rate the specs at least 50% for long term usage life.
Thanks. I'll look at them. Maybe I won't need to sell my tractor to put a system in my daughter's house?

So, would you recommend Sungold for my purpose?

I would not order a Sungold Power inverter again. Although it was a solid unit the support was very slow to none existent.

The inverter/charger sunshine_eggo list looks good to me especially since it has support from the seller Electric Car Part Company.

If it is not in stock and they don't know when they will have them you could order direct from Signieer, but will probably cost more.

Is Sigineer the OEM for the AIMS unit? They look similiar except the AIMS costs more and doesn't list LifePO4 support.

Sig is believed to be the OEM for AIMS.

Even the ones that list LFP as an option do not have an appropriate absorption cycle.
The Sigineers or the AIMS don't have appropriate absorption cycles on LiFePO4 setting? Or both?

Yeah, I had heard about that with the AIMS version, was hoping it wasn't the case with the Sig as the prices are really good. If the Sig or AIMS could be set to just output a steady current, you could use a dc to dc charger and charge your lifepo4 that way I guess. Would still probably save money they are so cheap.

How about that Samlex 3000, does it support lifepo4 charging correctly?

Back