diy solar

diy solar

Digital Inverter fridge

As this thread has resurfaced, I think I should provide an update to our fridge solution. We decided to try an inverter/linear compressor fridge. So I researched various models (size and price), and decided on an LG (pic with the model attached). Went to my local Lowes and placed the order. It took about 3 weeks to a month for it to come in. It's 20cf and It was a LOT lighter than the 11cf propane/electric it was replacing yet twice the size. Probably by half. To say we have been pleased with it would be an understatement. It runs great off its own little 300w pure sine inverter. As for power consumption, it's around 400wh/day (depending on temp inside and how much it's being opened of course).

Attachments

• IMG_20201029_162641.jpg
    IMG_20201029_162641.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 16
Be aware in USA there is no regulation for power factor on residential appliances. Most inverter refrig have only a simple rectifier-filter cap to convert input AC to high voltage DC to feed the three phase inverter. This results in power factor of 0.5 to 0.65.

For battery powered AC inverter poor power factor is important as inverter losses are based on VA not true power. There is also additional loss due to the three phase inverter conversion.

I have a Samsung inverter based refrig. It draws significantly more current and average AH's from batteries then my older non-inverter conventional refrig.

I would not recommend them.

That's something to be ashamed of and frankly quite surprising*. You wrap solar installations in more red tape than can be imagined, but do crap like this.

... and just an extension of this... inverter air conditioning. Would the same apply there? That's nuts if so.

*I am of course taking this on face value without actually checking to see if the information is factual, it certainly wouldn't be the first time total bullsh*t has been posted on a forum ...

Last edited:
As this thread has resurfaced, I think I should provide an update to our fridge solution. We decided to try an inverter/linear compressor fridge. So I researched various models (size and price), and decided on an LG (pic with the model attached). Went to my local Lowes and placed the order. It took about 3 weeks to a month for it to come in. It's 20cf and It was a LOT lighter than the 11cf propane/electric it was replacing yet twice the size. Probably by half. To say we have been pleased with it would be an understatement. It runs great off its own little 300w pure sine inverter. As for power consumption, it's around 400wh/day (depending on temp inside and how much it's being opened of course).

Was it hard to fit into your RV? I have the same Dometic as you did and might do the same thing but it would be cool to see a pic of the install may showing the fit... Did you have to modify the compartment size much? I guess maybe a little wood work would be involved...

I also just stumbled across this link too, reading it now, claims Dometic has 'reevaluated and come up with a technology especially designed for RVs', making a 12v variable speed compressor run fridge now: https://www.rvtravel.com/dometic-new-compressor-run-fridge/

Specs:

12v, 15a, 156w

Back