diy solar

diy solar

Dinse or Cam-Lock connectors for battery/inverter?

mattleonard

I've been using Anderson SB175 1/0 AWG cables for a quick dis/connect between my battery bank and inverter. (currently 4x 12v 100ah - wired in pairs to be 24v). It's a portable/modular rig with components in separate cases, so my goal is for easy transport and quick setup in the field.

I'd like to beef that up to 2/0, and while I realize the SB175 now has a 2/0 option, I'm wondering about moving towards more-flexible welding cable, and using Dinse (welding-style) or cam-lock connects. I'd basically have panel sockets on both the battery and inverter cases, and then short (2-3') cables to wire it up quickly.

Anyone else do this? Thoughts on Dinse (welding) vs Camlock (more common on generators and event production) connectors?

Thanks!

Is there a way to mechanically prevent connecting to the wrong polarity?
Maybe an added shell over the connector?

Only one series string of batteries, so one gender for positive, opposite for negative, and don't do anything stupid like shorting out a battery?
Shells to key for location in series, rather than for polarity?

Last edited:
Given they are single-conductor, I was thinking the way to ensure polarity would be to have one cable male on both ends, and the other conductor female on both ends. Sure, someone could attempt to connect incorrectly but they wouldn't be able to fully mate, but might still make contract. And of course, color-coded black and red cables and panels.

I would like to have some sort of spring-loaded cover on the battery-side to protect from any accidental shorts. I'm thinking a common outdoor, duplex-style outlet cover could work

Last edited:
Could assign male/female so it is impossible to connect inverter backwards and burn it out.
Put suitable fuse in each battery and connecting positive to negative would blow fuse without creating a disaster.
If lead-acid it will blow the fuse. If lithium, depends on how the BMS responds.

I have some non-locking tapered connectors on my buzz box so I can move it separate from the long, heavy cables.
Tried to get more so I could insert a rectifier picked up, but they have a different taper.

Back