diy solar

diy solar

Diode for Charging

Baserati

Guys, I would like to put a Diode in series for charging my 48V Bank. Charger will be a Xantrex XFR 60-20 pushing out 20 Amps. Can anyone give me the specs of the diode I should use ?

Xantrex XFR 60-20 pushing out 20 Amps
This is a high quality lab type power supply, not a battery charger as such.
Why do you need a diode in series?
If a diode is fitted it will need a specification exceding the voltage and current requirements of the system and suitable thermal management, heat sink, to dissipate the heat. More detail as to the need for a diode would be useful.
examples.

Mike

Hi Mike, I'm intending to use it as a battery charger as I like if for the following Reasons

1) You can set a high voltage cutoff independent of the use selectable high voltage
2) I intend to use it to charge my 48 v to power my yacht motor. As such I want to be able use it to top the batteries up to about a 70% SOC for when they are resting between excursions and then push them to 100% just before I go sail.
3) It allows remote sensing of voltage at the battery bak
4) I have not found a battery charger that gives me this capability
5) lastly, I already own it

In terms of the Diode its really to protect the power supply

Forward voltage of diode will vary with current on the diode. take that into consideration at the end of charge as currents drop. So, its you Li people who are pushing up the price if these power supplies. I use Xantrex power supplies almost exclusively.

As such I want to be able use it to top the batteries up to about a 70% SOC for when they are resting between excursions and then push them to 100% just before I go sail.
It's difficult to use voltage alone to determine the state of charge of a lithium battery, (I assume it's a lithium battery).
I would look harder for a suitable battery charger.

Mike

Guys, I would like to put a Diode in series for charging my 48V Bank. Charger will be a Xantrex XFR 60-20 pushing out 20 Amps. Can anyone give me the specs of the diode I should use ?
For my 12v system I bought a heap of ''15SQ045 DIODE SCHOTTKY 45V 15A" a while ago. When I need a diode it is these. In parallel if need be and at least 2x the max current and positioned safely.
The first psu made noises whenever the v rose higher than it's v , thus the diode.
Currently have 6 in parallel as per photo- 300watt battery charger.

Attachments

• diodes.jpg
    diodes.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 9
It's difficult to use voltage alone to determine the state of charge of a lithium battery, (I assume it's a lithium battery).
I would look harder for a suitable battery charger.

Mike
Mike,
How would a a battery charger be different and provide a better alternative? I imagine a battery charger would also have a a hard time determining SOC.

Back