diy solar

diy solar

Dirty Grid Power - Recommendations

EnderWiggin

<tl/dr: Asking for recommendations on a remote island install for a three-phase inverter system using grid initially to charge batteries but without grid pass-through>

Hello there, long time lurker, first time poster. ;) Watched a lot of Will's stuff and really like the camaraderie on these boards - mostly civil on most issues!

I'm planning out a villa in the Dutch territory of Sint Maarten in the Caribbean Sea. Power from the island/grid is 120V, 3-phase (120 degree offset, all 200+V appliances are spec'd to also work at 208V). Comes in using 4-wire (120V/60A/60Hz per leg plus neutral), so a house max of 21.6KW, though it will never come close to that (all AC are mini splits, all hot water from tankless). May not do solar "day one" so most of my questions center around the charger/inverter piece.

The issue we have already with a condo we have on the island is how dirty the grid is - generated, as it is, by diesel. It browns from time to time, and the waveform is not smooth (we lose at least one minute on our clocks a day due to poorly clocked power). We also have frequent power outages/surges, and the power cost on the island is a bit higher than we'd like (especially with AC going most of the time). So, we need a system that will "clean" the grid into a pure sine wave, and we figure if we're doing that, might as well use an off grid style solution with solar, which would also act as whole-house UPS for sensitive electronics.

Solar is an "eventual" - it IS the Caribbean, after all - we know a guy with a 3BR condo with 12KW on his roof who is pulling down 2MW/month on average, so eventually we would only need grid as an extreme backup. We will never sell back to the grid, as the power company is clueless on how to handle that possibility.

So, our two main design goals/constraints are: 1) Use grid to charge batteries, but NEVER pass through, and 2) since we're doing this in Sint Maarten, replacement parts will be insanely expensive to source (and local support is practically nonexistent), so reliability is huge.

I want to start out by having the grid supply a "mains" panel with most 208V loads(AC, tankless hot water heater, dryer, oven), then feed the three legs to a manual transfer switch, to a "critical" 3-phase load panel. The inverters will be on the other selector of the MTS. At the start, I only want to power 120V things, and a few 208V things (like the dedicated mini split I will use to cool the electrical room, and the elevator) from the critical panel. Ideally, the solution should be able to, if we want in the future, move all the other 208V loads to the critical panel (as we add more battery and solar). We will be doing 48V LiFePo (~20KWh to start), either server rack or a power wall option.

In looking at our options for inverters, I've seen that Victron is one of the leaders in reliability. However, in posting on their forums, I discovered that the Quattro does not provide an option to always power the AC Out with battery inversion; if grid power exists (which we would only ever want to use to charge batteries), it will relay it through (unless it's "really dirty" which I can't rely on it being THAT bad all the time). So I cannot tie the AC In of the Quattro to grid.

My options seem to be down to (at least in my mind - no offense to other companies y'all use, I am focused on these three):
  • Signature Solar EG 6500-EX x 3 - has a setting for "SbU" which appears to allow for non-passthrough of grid to loads (i.e. constant inversion from solar/battery, even when grid is present, so we can still charge batteries). Cheapest, at $1300 per unit, especially since it also has a huge MPPT in each. But with "inexpensive" comes the possibility of "not as reliable" - though, at this price point, I could order four to have a spare and still come in loads cheaper than the other solutions. Another downside is that remote monitoring capabilities are not as good as the other options (ideal for when we're off-island).
  • Victron Quattro 5000/48/120V x 3 plus CerboGX, Lynx, and MPPT(s) - would have to add some kind of charger (nothing Victron makes, since their chargers are all either 230V AC in or don't work with 48VDC out) to isolate charging from grid from the Quattros. Mid-price solution (I figure around $12K all in), reliable, excellent remote monitoring, but sourcing parts could be an issue.
  • Schneider Electric XW Pro 120/240 x 3 plus PDP and MPPT(s) - I don't see if there's an option to specifically "always invert" on Schneider (help please?). Excellent power (can handle full load if needed, as well as additional burst), excellent remote monitoring, professional-looking (few exposed wires) install. But most expensive (I figure around $16K all in) and I've read highly mixed reviews on Schneider, ranging from "awesomest ever" to "they only want pros not diyers" to "yunk" (which I assume is "junk"). Also, mixed reviews on how they handle battery management with lithium. Tough to source parts.
I'm basically asking for a reliable inverter system that will always invert (never pass through), that I rarely need to touch. I am willing to spend the extra money for a more solid product, but the "more reliable" options seem to either state outright that they can't disable passthrough (Quattro) or hint that it can't (Schneider). I guess I could always get an EG6500EX just for battery charging but that seems like a waste if I don't also use it as the inverter/MPPT. :)

Long term, I suppose this is a moot point, because with solar should come the lack of need to ever use grid as long as my battery/usage ratio is set properly; heck, I could put a smart outlet on each inverter's AC input and only engage it when the charge levels are too low, and just "suck it up" that power is dirty for that short time.

Any guidance would be appreciated; further details available upon request. I have time to spare in this (villa won't be done until late 2023 at a minimum, so I won't be ordering anything until this time next year at the earliest) and the baseline of what we're doing is already set (with regards to the two panels and MTS), it's just the choice of inverters, really.

Im with a similar situation on a caribbean island, and guess what it is even possible to run a SMA sunnyboy hooked to the grid after some tuning... I've two systems, one grid tied and one backup with battery.

If you want to go off grid then you have no issue with the grid, just build an offgrid system that's it. Not different from not being on an island!

I was thinking an off grid system with the grid as backup charging. Or supplemental charging. I‘m guessing that the right charger and batteries can handle dirty power better than household loads.

Thanks for the replies - I hope I can do off grid for the initial critical loads but I can’t guarantee I will be able to mount and wire in the solar panels on day 1. So basically I will have to “suck it up” and use the grid to charge batteries and then invert. Not ideal, especially with inversion and charging losses, but unless I come up with that extra $ for the solar, I have to account for the charging (somehow). And at least then I “prove out” the system, and get the “clean” power we need.

I was also wondering if other folks had looked into other “creative” solutions - like, could I connect grid to the generator input (not the grid input) of the Quattro/XWPro and have it only trigger to use that input once the batteries are low enough to warrant it (or perhaps on a timer)? Or just use Quattro/XWPro for inversion, but have an EG6500EX as the MPPT/grid charger (not as ideal for overall power management because they don’t fully integrate).

I can’t access a Schneider Insight manager because I don’t have one of their controllers or inverters, and there’s a way to set how the AC output is preferred to be generated - but I can’t seem to find out what those options are and how they cascade when the preferred one is unavailable. I’m hoping someone in these forums that runs a Schneider can answer that for me. ;)

In the meantime I will continue to read up on all three solutions and see what makes the most sense.,,

Id still recommend a Growatt AIO. Configure it to never grid pass through and use the link in my signature to get some 208V server power supplies to build grid side charger for the battery.

I like SMA. Sunny Island is pass-through.
The idea of Sunny Boy being fed grid rather than PV is something I'd like to do (maybe as a generator input), but there may be issues with the ones having PV profile only, and especially transformerless. Older model transformer types with other profiles might work better.

An AC to DC battery charge should work, with Sunny Island inverting from there. Use a battery shunt.
A separate Sunny Island (or bank of them) could serve as battery charger, and could pass through grid to less critical loads.

Sunny Islands have 10 year warranty, and Sunny Boy up to 20, which gives an idea of the quality.

Instead of separate battery charger, how about a motor-generator on input of Sunny Island? That should clean up power quality. During the periodic power failures, Sunny Island will have the opportunity to adjust frequency so clocks end up correct.

"120V/60A/60Hz per leg plus neutral"
That's good it's 60 Hz; I've read that although the US model can be set to 50 Hz, not everything works correctly.

Hello, I would like to contact you because I also live on the island of sin marteen on the Dutch coast ( cupecoy). I would like to install solar panels and do self-consumption with iq7 emphasis inverters. I would like to know if this configuration is possible with gebe. Thanks

Dirty power might be coming from inside too. For example, on-demand hot water and air conditioners both cause sags. Google for one of the videos showing how to use an AM Radio to find dirty power.

...I would like to install solar panels and do self-consumption with iq7 emphasis inverters. I would like to know if this configuration is possible [to bypass dirty power]
The problem with any grid-tied system and dirty power is that those systems stop producing when the power goes out of spec (e.g., dirty power).

Some pass-through systems, like Enphase's Enlighten can cut over with UPS-like speed so there's no internal interruption, but you're typically out 5 minutes of solar for every event as both systems use the same detection algorithm. On a "stable" grid where there are very few events per day it's not a big issue, but if the grid is out of spec every 5 minutes you'll never get solar power. Dirty power interruptions are a big complaint on the Enphase forums, but obviously, it affects all grid-tied systems.

That doesn't mean it can't be done with microinverters, Enphase's Enlighten for example
can even let you run off-grid. An off-grid solution where the grid is used to keep the
batteries charged (as shown to the right) might be the best solution.

Note that the parts are exploded out for clarity, an All-in-One inverter will have the MPPT,
charger, and inverter are bundled into a single box. With Enphase, you'd probably want
to plug the grid into an ATS, add a breaker to the maximum generator size, and then
connect into the generator input (which goes through the NFT and can handle some
noise (but call and check, that's pretty out of the box and I'm not sure what they'd say
about it)).
1655982286142.png

Hello, I would like to contact you because I also live on the island of sin marteen on the Dutch coast ( cupecoy). I would like to install solar panels and do self-consumption with iq7 emphasis inverters. I would like to know if this configuration is possible with gebe. Thanks

So I'm not sure GEBE has a formalized sell-to-grid capability yet. One person in our development hooked up with a grid-tie system and began exporting power to the GEBE grid, only to be charged for the amount of power he gave to them, instead of getting a credit.

There's another person in our development attempting to do the same thing and he claims he's exported 4MW to them so far, but since the hack at GEBE, their billing department is completely screwed up and they're scrambling to get their invoicing correct (they billed me for February for 3MW, at over $2,000USD, because they set the wrong year for the "from" date!). So I won't know if the second person will get charged for sending them 4MW or get a credit until they straighten their stuff out.

I won't be going the microinverter route as you are, but I don't see any reason why that wouldn't be supported, so long as the IQ7 are sync'd to the GEBE phases properly and they disconnect when the grid goes down (probably involving some kind of transfer switch). I'm not sure I'd be much help but feel free to message me directly on this board.

Id still recommend a Growatt AIO. Configure it to never grid pass through and use the link in my signature to get some 208V server power supplies to build grid side charger for the battery.
I'm glad you've had success with Growatt and custom chargers, but if I'm going for an AIO route, I'd lean more towards the EG6500EX... and as for the charging, again I would probably want a purchase-able product than one that I assembled myself if possible. Thanks for your input!

I like SMA. Sunny Island is pass-through.
The idea of Sunny Boy being fed grid rather than PV is something I'd like to do (maybe as a generator input), but there may be issues with the ones having PV profile only, and especially transformerless. Older model transformer types with other profiles might work better.

An AC to DC battery charge should work, with Sunny Island inverting from there. Use a battery shunt.
A separate Sunny Island (or bank of them) could serve as battery charger, and could pass through grid to less critical loads.

Sunny Islands have 10 year warranty, and Sunny Boy up to 20, which gives an idea of the quality.

Instead of separate battery charger, how about a motor-generator on input of Sunny Island? That should clean up power quality. During the periodic power failures, Sunny Island will have the opportunity to adjust frequency so clocks end up correct.

"120V/60A/60Hz per leg plus neutral"
That's good it's 60 Hz; I've read that although the US model can be set to 50 Hz, not everything works correctly.
Not opposed to Sunny but trying to keep my options to a minimum; I'm already overwhelmed researching the three I'm thinking of! :) For instance, the Schneider quick start guide for their XW Pro inverter says that when AC power is supplied to AC In 1, it is automatically switched through to loads, which is pass-through (to me), but on page 94 of the owner's manual, it says that if you set the XW Pro to "Grid Support Enabled, Sell Disabled" then:
In this mode, available excess DC power is converted and used to power local loads. No power is exported to the utility. If the local load demand exceeds the available power from the external DC sources, power is then drawn from the utility to support the load. However, if the local load demand is less than the power available from external DC sources, the net excess power from the external DC sources is not converted and hence not used.
...this seems to indicate, to me, that the inverter will only pass through current if the demand can't be met by the battery or solar, and in the meantime it could (presumably) charge the batteries. So confusing. :( Doesn't seem like there are a lot of Schneider users on the forums, maybe that's a bad sign? :)

I won't be going the microinverter route as you are, but I don't see any reason why that wouldn't be supported, so long as the IQ7 are sync'd to the GEBE phases properly and they disconnect when the grid goes down (probably involving some kind of transfer switch). I'm not sure I'd be much help but feel free to message me directly on this board.

IQ7 like all other grid-tie inverters (UL-1741 for the U.S.) constantly test for presence of the grid and shut off when it goes down.
No transfer switch.

If you want a battery backup system (or batteryless backup while the sun shines) those are also available, and do have a transfer switch.

There are many PV/battery hybrids that will power loads when grid is down, but only some will use 100% of available PV, then additional power from grid as needed. Easiest setup uses current transformers around utility input wires to implement zero-export. Some models can then provide backup power to critical loads, without having to pass 100% of all loads through the unit.

Not opposed to Sunny but trying to keep my options to a minimum; I'm already overwhelmed researching the three I'm thinking of!

You'll want options that implement the features you need. And are reliable (there actually affordable, not just appear to be.) SMA is a (the?) top brand, but not as fast moving with features.
I don't think the current U.S. model Sunny Island was designed for the features desired. New European model might be, don't know when that is coming here. Sunny Boy Storage I think is designed for zero-export and peak shaving, but requires more expensive high-voltage battery. And an add-on transfer switch/transformer for backup operation, and is split-phase only.

Most of the economical all-in-one packaged choices will be single/split phase. Consider if you can work with that, and let the other two phases from utility just directly feed loads as usual. There are some small 3-phase products out there, maybe from China. And SMA has one in Europe now (not your voltages.) I doubt that will come to US market/voltages because we don't have many small 3-phase systems here, just larger commercial customers.

So I'm not sure GEBE has a formalized sell-to-grid capability yet. One person in our development hooked up with a grid-tie system and began exporting power to the GEBE grid, only to be charged for the amount of power he gave to them, instead of getting a credit.

There's another person in our development attempting to do the same thing and he claims he's exported 4MW to them so far, but since the hack at GEBE, their billing department is completely screwed up and they're scrambling to get their invoicing correct (they billed me for February for 3MW, at over $2,000USD, because they set the wrong year for the "from" date!). So I won't know if the second person will get charged for sending them 4MW or get a credit until they straighten their stuff out.

Thank you for your answer. I don't want to resell, I just plan to make a small installation to smooth my consumption. In solution not to be charged to my electrite gives gebe I found another product the gti2 1000
. which has an export limiter system. My configuration would be, 3 panels of 320w auo, 1 gti2 1000 connected to a 120v phase of my house . Thanks for your hel.

I also read with interest about dirty electricity , I didn’t know this problem before . I read that there were filters like GREENWAVE to correct the problem . Does it really work ? Thanks for your help

There are while home surge arrestors you can install for between $300-$600 to make sure that surges do not destroy equipment, but in terms of a power “conditioner,” no, I’m afraid I don’t know of any that would work for our case. And it could be like svetz said, there could be a load inside the home that is causing brownouts locally to the home. I’ll have to look into that more.

I did a cost analysis and there’s almost no difference between Victron and Schneider, so it’s basically between a cheaper EG system (which I could buy double of and be around half the cost) or Schneider (great pedigree but super costly and bad customer support). Luckily I have ten months or so to make my determination, so hopefully some clarification can come in the meantime. I’d love if someone with Schneider could directly address my questions on pass through but I understand if there are few in the forums with such knowledge. :)

I realize this is an old thread, but it popped up when searching for a different thread and I realized nobody else had my insights on this subject.

If you really want protection from dirty power, voltage fluctuations and short dropouts, the best solution has been around for decades. A ferro-resonant transformer. Sola makes them (the CVS and MRC versions).

I used these often back in the 80's since electronic equipment used low frequency (big iron) transformer based power supplies. Modern switching power supplies are much more resistant to these sorts of problems so the need for the Sola transformers has pretty much gone away for me.

These are not cheap and you have to size them accurately to the load since the transformer gets hot if lightly loaded. For powering fixed loads, these remain the most effective solution. The MCR version relaxes the minimum loading issue. I recall them being ok with loads as low as 20% of rated power. I avoid going under 50% load with the CVS versions.

Back