diy solar

diy solar

Disagreeing with a Youtuber - DC Breaker Safety Concerns

Upvote/downvote was never a good way to judge the technical accuracy or legitimacy of something anyways (as you've just shown above with your example). Look at reddit, youtube, etc. On Reddit you can say something purely objective, simple, and provably true, but if its unpopular it will be downvoted to all hell. Likewise you can say something unambiguously false, but if it 'rings true', sounds witty, or reflects back what the majority wants to believe it'll often be upvoted, even if its pointed out that it isn't accurate in the comments. Simple up/down voting should never be a basis for judging whether something is factual, accurate, or true, as they are a reflection of what is popular or unpopular not what is true or false.

My feeling is any system with up/downvoting and an algorithm that is tuned to 'engagement' is a poor place for technical discussion. A simpler platform like a forum is a better format for technical or more in depth discussions I think.
You are also explaining why a pure democracy doesn’t scale well. Popular vote is rarely a good method for choosing the correct path, and it never is if the voters are uninformed and uneducated (not a derogatory or insulting statement so spare me any outrage) on the topic at hand

You are also explaining why a pure democracy doesn’t scale well. Popular vote is rarely a good method for choosing the correct path, and it never is if the voters are uninformed and uneducated (not a derogatory or insulting statement so spare me any outrage) on the topic at hand

There is a great TV show called The Orville. It is like a very serious Star Trek parody.
One of the best episode is 1x07 Majority rule (I would call it facebook planet :D )

A quote from it:
A: - How do you know what foods are healthiest for your children, or what medicine to take if you're sick?
B: - We vote.
A: - I believe you are confusing opinion with knowledge.
:LOL:

(sorry for the offtopic, but real scifi is about character and social criticism ... and this is an exact parody of the situation :) )

There is a great TV show called The Orville. It is like a very serious Star Trek parody.
One of the best episode is 1x07 Majority rule (I would call it facebook planet :D )

A quote from it:
A: - How do you know what foods are healthiest for your children, or what medicine to take if you're sick?
B: - We vote.
A: - I believe you are confusing opinion with knowledge.
:LOL:

(sorry for the offtopic, but real scifi is about character and social criticism ... and this is an exact parody of the situation :) )
Is that show still running, I watch the first season but then lost track of it. May have to rewatch it if I can find it

while real scifi often includes character and social criticism, many compositions contain merely fabricated divergent social constructs that intrinsically appeal to the reader/audience with natural contemporarily related contexts the audience can thereby understand in their realities.
Grammar corrected :)

Social comparisons often find their way into books/movies etc because that is the environment they are written in and for. That’s partly why “Blazing Saddles” was acceptable when filmed but became unacceptable to some: the societal context has changed so it is no longer as widely understood.

Even the ‘original’ quintessential “1984” contains unspoken themes that lead current 21st century critique to suggest the film was “thin” in some areas- which it is when viewed in a 2022 lens. But the understory themes were noticed and were troubling to viewers when the early film was released.

The scene of the ‘neuro’ treatment in the posted clip surprised me with how thematically referenced it was to the ‘fear’ induced ‘correction’ depicted in the original 1984 film. The writers clearly were well attuned to both “1984” and the harbingers “Running Man” and more contemporarily: “The Hunger Games” (although the latter is more ‘dystopian’ than sci-fi fiction)

SciFi isn’t specifically social commentary but it can’t help but evolve to that if the writer has ever lived outside of a cave near the North Pole.

Last edited:
Is that show still running, I watch the first season but then lost track of it. May have to rewatch it if I can find it

Has 2 seasons ... will continue with 3rd on March ;)

Grammar corrected :)

Social comparisons often find their way into books/movies etc because that is the environment they are written in and for. That’s partly why “Blazing Saddles” was acceptable when filmed but became unacceptable to some: the societal context has changed so it is no longer as widely understood.

Even the ‘original’ quintessential “1984” contains unspoken themes that lead current 21st century critique to suggest the film was “thin” in some areas- which it is when viewed in a 2022 lens. But the understory themes were noticed and were troubling to viewers when the early film was released.

The scene of the ‘neuro’ treatment in the posted clip surprised me with how thematically referenced it was to the ‘fear’ induced ‘correction’ depicted in the original 1984 film. The writers clearly were well attuned to both “1984” and the harbingers “Running Man” and more contemporarily: “The Hunger Games”

SciFi isn’t specifically social commentary but it can’t help but evolve to that if the writer has ever lived outside of a cave near the North Pole.

Agree.
But I did not want to go sooooo far offtopic :)

Social media is set up to remove comments that are not in line with the desired opinions and feedback in general.

Once you post a sufficient number of logical and educated comments that do not fit the desired outcome, then people get banned.

I have seen it happen on linkedin, IG, twitter, FB, etc and no I am not banned but have to bite my tongue sometimes.
I have felt the disinterest in technically factual discussion also, particularly in this forum, but also in YouTube comments.

I thought that readers and viewer would care, but like so many in the general population, it is not the case. My current view is that it is their loss.

I have felt the disinterest in technically factual discussion also, particularly in this forum, but also in YouTube comments.

I thought that readers and viewer would care, but like so many in the general population, it is not the case. My current view is that it is their loss.
So true.....

Within a few minutes of watching that guy, he's always smiling and speaking with his hands. It's exactly the same delivery as very highly skilled medical and drug sales people do when they come presenting their drug or device to us . They are very
likeable, entertaining, fun to watch ...but once you realize what it is, you really should be leary of what they say .
At least you can tell that Will knows his stuff .... but the rest of these
solar youtubers not so much !

Last edited:
Back