diy solar

diy solar

Discharge appliance for LiFePo4 Battery

They are not wired in series, they are wired in parallel.
Lithium batteries are internally made up of multiple cells wired in series. So the internal cells are wired in series making the 12V battery, and then you are manually wiring the batteries in parallel.

So,, what I have is a Lithium Ion Polymer. I don't even find that option on my Charge meter. I have it set for "Lithium" and 2 for the series quantity. I believe that is right as far as the options offered.

Lithium batteries are internally made up of multiple cells wired in series. So the internal cells are wired in series making the 12V battery, and then you are manually wiring the batteries in parallel.
thank you... I kinda knew that but I'm thinking of each individual case as a single battery. I know there are cells in the battery.

so, now that we know I have a Lithium Ion Polymer is there anyway to change the Title of my thread incase anyone else comes along.

I'm reading that Lithium Ion Polymer are also known as LiPo. Is that the understanding here. So if I am looking for a meter for this battery I should use the liPo designation?

So if I am looking for a meter for this battery I should use the liPo designation?
The meters are simply reading voltage so if you use the SolarQueen's info:

>The cell's full voltage is 4.2V, so 3 in series is 12.6V full.

You can do as well as a meter (because voltage is a terrible measure of state of charge for lithium batteries). See attached chart, its pretty simple.

Regarding your original question, do you have a 12v inverter? With an inverter, you will likely have MANY choices for power wasters like space heaters, toasters, heating blankets, workspace lighting, ....

Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 10.32.43 AM.png

Much thanks everyone. If nothing else I now know that I have Lithium Ion Polymer batteries... That is a big help. If you come up with anything,, just let me know here. I think I'm going to look for a Stern light or some other "useful" thing. Don't think I'll use a toaster but hey I guess people have eaten toast while kayaking. MisterSandals. No inverter but I do now know what an iverter does. Thanks everyone.

Looking at Inverters as that is probably the best option to use for discharging my batteries and can provide use other than a discharge device...
What do you think of this Inverter: https://www.autoguide.com/top-10-best-power-inverters-for-your-car ? Runs about 90 bucks
Not sure which one you had in mind but it mostly depends on what appliances you will be using.
If its something with a motor (fridge, power tools) or delicate electronics (computer) then you need a pure sine wave inverter.
They are significantly more expensive of course.

If you are using dumb appliances like a heater, soldering iron,..., then a modified sine wave is sufficient.

Having lots of USB ports is really more than a nicety to me.

Do a search on “pure sine wave” and see what the discussions look like.

3s lipo voltage range is 12.6 volts to ~10 volts. Consider that when selecting an inverter.
Why do you want to discharge your battery?
I mean are you just trying to discharge to 50% for storage or are you trying to do a capacity test or are you just wanting to get some alternate use out of your battery?

Last edited:
Seems like any 12v thing could drain your battery for you unless you are also wanting to measure energy used? A 12v fan or portable heater as mentioned above.

Anything you want to hook in beyond a very simple voltage display will be more DIY than it sounds like you are interested in?

Might be that a good quality clamp multimeter can record how much amperage has been through the battery lead. Might do what you want. Hoping others will suggest from a position of more experience. Probably a simple voltage display and you have a handy chart that tells you what that voltage means is the easiest.

As others have said you want to be gentle with those batteries. Don't push their limits at all. If you treat them well it should be fine, but physical damage and over charging or discharge too fast and that can cause a fire.

For a usefull load you could use a low power inverter like the one linked. It has battery leads you clip onto the terminals. Plug in something small or charge cell phones etc. This unit is not safe to get wet though.

Back