diy solar

diy solar

Disconnect requirements?

GXMnow

Solar Wizard
I have been looking through the NEC and Los Angeles codes, and I can't find what I am looking for.

My current Enphase solar install has a disconnect switch next to my main panel that will shut down and isolate the rooftop solar gear.

I am adding an Schneider XW battery based inverter. The inverter will power an essential loads panel. The Enphase system will move to the new panel so it is operational in a power outage.

So here is my question

Do I need to have two separate disconnects on the outside of the garage by the breaker panel? One for the solar, and one for the battery inverter?

My original plan is to re-wire the current disconnect to now disconnect the output of the Schneider XW-Pro from feeding the essential loads panel. This will cut any battery backed up loads as well as shut down all of the roof top solar. From a true safety standpoint, I know that cutting off the output of the battery inverter removes the risk of any live wiring past the main breaker panel. But we all know that local codes are not always just what is safe. I am in Los Angeles County, and I have tried searching the local code, but I have not been able to find a section that applies to my setup.

The input side of the Schneider will still be connected to the old 20 amp solar fed breaker in the main panel. But if the power is out, the main is pulled, or the solar breaker is tripped, the Schneider will also disconnect it's anti islanding relay. It will switch to battery power invert mode and drive it's output leads, but that will go to the outdoor disconnect before it feeds anything else. Inside the garage, next to the inverter, I also have an AC disconnect on the inverter input, a main breaker in the essential loads panel, and a battery shut off switch, as well as a manual turn off that will shut down and open the BMS. But my concern is if any of that needs to be accessible from outside by the breaker panel? If I have too, I can punch another hole through the stucco, but I already destroyed one new hole saw to make one hole. I was hoping to not have to alter what is outside of my home, and just adapt the wiring as needed. But I also want to be sure I am legal.

That same question occured to me five days ago when I AC coupled my GT inverter. In my case when the GT system was installed the local official allowed the GT solar breaker to be the shut off. It required a lot of labels.
I honestly dont know the answer. I will have to figure that out when I complete the permit. It won't be as simple as relabeling the breaker to the hybrid inverter since that would only mimic a power outage and the batteries and hybrid would power the GT inverter. It is a safety issue for firefighters.

I suspect that I might need to put in a separate disconnect for the AC coupled inverter but you may be correct it may have to disconnect the entire critical loads panel. That will be a big disconnect with #4 wire.

Are you in unincorporated LA County or in a city that has their own building department?

Last edited:
I am in Santa Clarita, which I do believe has our own building department, but as far as I can tell, they use the Los Angeles building and electrical code books. We are just 30 miles north of Hollywood, but it a whole different world when you get up here.

Guys, I know this is a couple weeks old, but it came up in searches and I have some answers for you.

For the 2016 and 2019 CEC I was not required to include anything like rapid shutdown on the battery back up. For maintenance type purposes you need to have a labeled DC disconnect at both the battery and inverter "unless they are within arms reach" was the wording from the permit office. A breaker is a suitable disconnect.

I'm not in Southern California, but all of California should be under one of those two building codes. The local interpretation may be different, but this is what I got from my AHJ.

That is basically what I was finding as well. My outdoor disconnect is currently just for the Enphase Solar. In the garage, I have the battery cutoff switch at the top of the battery bank, directly below the inverter. And the Essential Loads "EL" panel is also right there with the AC side breakers for both the Enphase Solar and the XW-Pro inverter outputs. I have to get some reflective red labels for all three switches. I also plan to install an inverter bypass switch which will have a full off positions and a generator enable switch which will also disconnect the solar. Those are not required, but I want to to also be easy to operate. I am also going to add a DC power panel with some LED lights directly off the battery bank that will be on if power fails. The cutoff voltage on that will be a little lower than the BMS even. So if I have to connect up a generator in the middle of the night, I can see what I am doing.

Each jurisdiction has their own schedule for adopting the California code versions. As time passes it is likely that they will all be up on the 2019 CEC.
I mentioned this somewhere else about how I am doing it with the Skybox. Since I moved the Solaredge inverter from a breaker on the main service panel to my essential loads panel I also have to do something to comply. My Skybox has a set of contacts that are now jumpered but which when open will shutdown the Skybox and any AC coupled inverters. I plan on buying one of those normally closed big push button switches, label it appropriately , and fasten it by my main service panel.

If I do need a battery inverter shutdown outside the house, I hope they will allow it to be a low current control. I really don't want to have to core another 1-1/8 inch hole through the stucco to run a 3/4 inch conduit and 5 #8 awg wires. If I can do a remote shut down, I can fit a pair of wires in the existing pipe to the solar shut off. Then just add a box next to it with an emergency shut down button.

The rapid disconnect requirement is a national code, NEC 2014, Article 690.12.C. Has to be less than 6 switches and they have to be grouped. In the 2017 NEC 680.56 they have to be clearly labeled too. In a Tesla Powerwall document they say the NEC codes around battery backup systems are:
  • 705 Interconnected Electrical sources
  • 690.10 Stand Alone Systems
  • 690.71 Storage batteries
  • 710 Stand alone systems
  • 706 Energy Storage Systems (706.7 talks about disconnects)
In my system the IQ Combiner box is marked as the PV disconnect, tripping the breaker causes the IQ7s to RSD. But, there must not be labeling requirements for powerwalls yet as the Enpower isn't not labeled as the battery disconnect. According the Ensemble planning guide, the Enpower is the battery shutdown (each battery has an on/off, but they're obviously not "in one grouping"). That explains why they couldn't run the battery lines across the roof, no RSD function in them.

Last edited:
Going over the codes, I am fairly sure I am legal right now (except the required labels). The original outdoor shut off switch is still opening the line to the iQ combiner box which does RSD to all of my roof mounted solar. The only change is the back side of the contacts is now coming from the "EL" panel instead of the "MAIN" panel The battery disconnect and inverter disconnects are all inside the garage, well in reach of the inverter and battery bank. I think I am going to add an outdoor inverter shut down button, just to cover all bases, even though I can't find a requirement for it. I have to do a few edits to my single line drawing. I simplified it a bit.

That makes sense in your installation. In my case the building department allowed the breaker to be the shutoff for the Solar edge and I removed that from the main service panel. I am thinking about something like this to impress the neighbors. (I wonder if I have to get HOA approval :ROFLMAO:
)midnite-solar-birdhouse-emergency-disconnect-switch-red-from-altEstore.com.png
It is actually kind of pricey. Unless I think it will make a difference with the inspector I might limit my budget to $100.

Back