diy solar

diy solar

Dishwasher wont run off my solar system

Nudgey

Hi All, I'm new here, please forgive my lack of technical knowledge.

Can you get a dishwasher that doesn't heat its own water? I am off grid with a smallish solar system, I have 10 panels with vicitron equipment, everything works well apart from the dishwasher which sometimes trips and shuts down the system. I have a gas hot water system, can i run hot water into the dishwasher so the electric heating element in the dishwasher doesn't have to heat it as much? therefore saving power.

As I recall from my handy-man days, the only dishwashers that don't have heating elements are the RV/Cabin type (super pricy for the size) and the super-duper cheap household dishwashers.

The pump motor is a major draw, as are most motors, but under the bottom should be the wiring that goes to the heating element. You could just disconnect and tape off one of the element leads and take the heater completely out of the equation. If it's a "Smart" dishwasher you might get an alarm about the element not working, but as long as you didn't spend a new car's worth of money on it you should be fine.

I don't mean remove the element, you don't want extra holes in the bottom. :)

More likely the pump + electric heating element > wattage rating. Electric elements are monsters and when you add that to a pump you're asking for trips and overloads.

What's the wattage on the inverter and dishwasher?

Since I bought a deep sink so dishes can soak, instead of me scrubbing, the dish washer was too much work.
PS Cold water works just as good.

You could just disconnect and tape off one of the element leads and take the heater completely out of the equation. If it's a "Smart" dishwasher you might get an alarm about the element not working, but as long as you didn't spend a new car's worth of money on it you should be fine.

My Kenmore washer will go into error mode and won't run if it senses the element is open (or pretty much any fault). But it is certainly worth a try.
Note: Once my washer goes into error mode, it will not restart no matter what (i.e. unplugging it and plugging it back in). The only way to get it to start back up is to put it in test mode (specific series of button presses). That procedure is often found in the paperwork behind the bottom grill. Otherwise youtube is your friend. Might be best to research that before disconnecting things.

Also, 99% of the time the wire is connected via a spade terminal or ring with a nut and you can always reattach it if the machine errors out. Cutters often not needed. :)

Now, electrical types, please chime in here, but the alarms on those just check for an open circuit in the heating coil line. If one were to jump out the element and put in a little 50ohm 10w resistor wouldn't that clear the alarm?

Last edited:
I run my dishwasher at camp with only a car battery and a 700W inverter. Surprisingly, dishwasher takes less than 100W to run without the heater element. I run the heater element off solar panel DC of 60V which is enough because my water heater also from PV is set to 60C. Drying they reduce the heat by turning on the element 50% of the time. I use a timer to keep it on all the time in the dry mode. Most will set an error code if water doesn't reach 120F. This is all complicated but there is an easier way for you.

Just buy a 250W 120V to 24V transformer and connect it as an autotransformer. Pull one of the wires off the heating element and supply the transformer. The tap of the two windings then goes to the heater element Bottom leg of transformer goes to the bottom winding of transformer. This will supply about 100V to the heating element which will reduce the current to something manageable. If you like this idea I can provide a safe way to determine correct phasing of transformer leads.

One of the interesting things about the cheap $300-ish kenmore dishwasher is that it has a plastic tub and few options. The stainless tub, many options version $800ish price point is identical in every way inside from the motor to the pumps as the cheapo- it just has more buttons and stainless. This unit at last involvement with installing one for someone can run without heat. Just buy one that will work dumb and not smart and feet your hot water directly.

The little countertop dishwashers: I’d like to know if you can disable/disconnect internal heater on those. For $250 and its 15A (with heat) rating a below-counter custom “permanent” install seems attractive on small solar

The little countertop dishwashers: I’d like to know if you can disable/disconnect internal heater on those. For $250 and its 15A (with heat) rating a below-counter custom “permanent” install seems attractive on small solar

Ya know, it's usually just the funky water hose (fitting to garden, got mine at the hardware store), a new kick plate, and a little sheet metal box (any hardware store) that converts those from portable to under-counter. At least it was for mine and the topper makes a GREAT work table. Another advantage to those portables is that because they're designed to pump all the krap out of a small hose, the motors have built in grinders which helps keep your drains cleared easier.

Plus, as mentioned above, they're not "Too Smart" to be messed with.

I think most dish washer can turn off the water heater , the dryer also uses power

The heated dry function is usually a button but the heated water is pretty standard automatic.

a new kick plate, and a little sheet metal box (any hardware store) that converts those from portable to under-counter
Nope. Not a ‘portable;’ one of those “6-place-setting” countertop models is what I meant.

Aaahhh, never seen a review that made those look like they were worth the money, especially if you're disabling the heater (AKA Sterilizer Function) on them.

I’m currently looking for a lightly used older model like that myself.

You can have mine as long as you take the cats with her.

I’ve heard of those.

I’m currently looking for a lightly used older model like that myself.
I think I have one in the kitchen now ?
It was not a lot of money , but truthfully I have a wifey five daughters and don’t get involved in dish washing .
I think if your water is hot enough the heater won’t turn on
and the drying heat can be turned off

never seen a review that made those look like they were worth the money, especially if you're disabling the heater (AKA Sterilizer Function) on them.
I know people that have bought them. They also had one at last winter’s rental that worked awesome.

If you ‘need’ sterilizer function then you need to change your habits and food hygiene imho (nobody actually washes dishes in cold water, do they?!)

Nobody should want an older dishwasher. Their motors use way too much power. My GE profile uses only 85W when running.

Hi All, I'm new here, please forgive my lack of technical knowledge.

Can you get a dishwasher that doesn't heat its own water? I am off grid with a smallish solar system, I have 10 panels with vicitron equipment, everything works well apart from the dishwasher which sometimes trips and shuts down the system. I have a gas hot water system, can i run hot water into the dishwasher so the electric heating element in the dishwasher doesn't have to heat it as much? therefore saving power.
What is really missing is the make and model number of the dishwasher. They do not all operate the same.

The heating element may come on as a default to warm the water to a minimum, may heat water for a sanitize wash function, and of course the dry function. Maybe yours has these options or other options. No way to know. Quick wash, no dry option is my best suggestion.

Extra hot water can reduce the need for additional heating.... if the steaming hottest water actually is part of the fill. Many homes have a distance of pipe between the heater and the DW giving tepid water at best. As soon as that hot hot water reaches the DW... it is already full.

Many homes have a distance of pipe between the heater and the DW giving tepid water at best. As soon as that hot hot water reaches the DW... it is already full.
Yes. Good point.
And latest form is to have a tempering valve for 120F limit. So you could theoretically take a small (3/8, 1/4”) tee-off before the valve and 1) get hotter water plus 2) the smaller pipe dumps less non-hot water volume due to the size

Back