diy solar

diy solar

Distance requirements between Solar Panels/Inverter, battery storage unit and consumer unit

JL-Reading

What is the distance requirements between Solar Panels/Inverter, battery storage unit and consumer unit?
My electrician insisted that the storage battery we have - Growatt B3-Alpha and an additional battery module should be no more than 2-4 meters away from consumer unit. Is this reasonable?
We have a flat roof extension to place the panels and loft recess next wall to it on 2nd floor. The consumer unit is on ground floor. I am hesitate to have battery units in the middle of the house on 1st floor.
So far I read there are distance required max 20/30ft from inverter to battery, but no seem any mentioning on battery to consumer unit. Personally I don't think it makes sense. Just 230v juice inside? Did I miss anything.
Please kindly advice

Is the consumer unit you mention your circuit breaker box?

Increasing the distance the DC(battery power) has to go will require an increase in wire size and thus cost. AC is cheaper to run longer distances. I don't see any other reason for the request. I have only done a couple installs so could be missing something. Good Luck.

Thanks so much! Yes the circuit breaker in consumer unit. Exactly you said, "Low DC current travels has higher wastage than High AC" that is what I remember from my secondary school physics lessons. I was very confused, as the electrician is very adamant in what he suggested.
Any fire and hazard risk to keep the battery under pitched roof in loft recess?

What is the distance requirements between Solar Panels/Inverter, battery storage unit and consumer unit?
My electrician insisted that the storage battery we have - Growatt B3-Alpha and an additional battery module should be no more than 2-4 meters away from consumer unit. Is this reasonable?
We have a flat roof extension to place the panels and loft recess next wall to it on 2nd floor. The consumer unit is on ground floor. I am hesitate to have battery units in the middle of the house on 1st floor.
So far I read there are distance required max 20/30ft from inverter to battery, but no seem any mentioning on battery to consumer unit. Personally I don't think it makes sense. Just 230v juice inside? Did I miss anything.
Please kindly advice
Yea Im learning about that too BUT it does appear dependent on your local Code Ordinances.

A few ppl have commented about things like batteries being 5 feet apart or front/rear clearance required for panels, inverters, etc..

All of this does away with those videos of inverters and batteries in a box together. But as I said, I go by Code. So when Im told x, I look for it or ask to tell me what ordinance.

A lot of times, is something heard/repeated so much its wrong or obsolete. Saying check current code.

In all cases I would keep the batteries as close to the solar charger/ inverter as that is normally the largest current in the system.
On the solar panel side, connect panels in series to increase the voltage but not increase the current.
Just be mindful of the controller's max voltage and the panels VOC.

Indeed, it can get very hot in the summer, like today, 30-40 degrees.
Exactly about the heat issue. I live in a HOT area... the humidity here will flat kick ur butt.

Was worried about batteries etc in my shed which gets so hot, a person or pet wouldnt survive.

A person here, whom had same issue, urned me on to a cheapo temp controller that turns on a fan. Ordered on Amazon and crazy thing, the order has disappeared. Weird.

Im agreeing with distance required to be safe tho. Already use 0 gauge so adding length may alter.

Solar panels can be far away. There is a percentage of power lost, but so long as charge controller is close to battery, voltage regulation is good.
High current draw loads like an inverter, which might draw 100A to 300A from battery (assuming 12V to 48V), need short fat cables.
4 meters would be getting pretty far for such current and low voltage battery.

If a system has a high voltage battery (e.g. 400V), then greater distances would be OK; similar or higher voltage than house AC wiring so low current, smaller wires can be used.

Nothing likes excessive heat, so keep them within specifications and preferably about room temperature.

Lithium batteries of any chemistry can start a fire, so keep them where they can burn without burning your house down. That is more important than extending their life with moderate temperature.

Solar panels can be far away. There is a percentage of power lost, but so long as charge controller is close to battery, voltage regulation is good.
High current draw loads like an inverter, which might draw 100A to 300A from battery (assuming 12V to 48V), need short fat cables.
4 meters would be getting pretty far for such current and low voltage battery.

If a system has a high voltage battery (e.g. 400V), then greater distances would be OK; similar or higher voltage than house AC wiring so low current, smaller wires can be used.

Nothing likes excessive heat, so keep them within specifications and preferably about room temperature.

Lithium batteries of any chemistry can start a fire, so keep them where they can burn without burning your house down. That is more important than extending their life with moderate temperature.
I thought about same thing... assume fire so locate where they would burn without catching everything else on fire.

Back