diy solar

diy solar

Distribution Box

MrHavasu

Hello, I'm looking for some help. I'm planning to wire my inverters to a distribution box. I've seen some of the videos out. I don't see them wiring to a box that has a Main Breaker like a 100amp or 125amp. Why don't they use a main breaker? My thought is the breaker can be used as a cutoff switch. Another question is about the distribution box. I also see in the videos that they combine the ground and neutral wire to the same bus bar. I can see them doing that in a mobile application because there isn't a true ground. On a house system why wouldn't you have a separate ground bus bar and ground to a earth ground?

Thanks guys,
MrHavasu

Is your question academic or are you preparing to wire your inverter into a distribution panel?
If you are preparing to wire into a distribution panel, is it a mobile or stationary application?

Hello, I'm looking for some help. I'm planning to wire my inverters to a distribution box. I've seen some of the videos out. I don't see them wiring to a box that has a Main Breaker like a 100amp or 125amp. Why don't they use a main breaker? My thought is the breaker can be used as a cutoff switch.
Did you ever get or figure out an answer to "why don't they use a main breaker?"
My thoughts are to use the main breaker as a cutoff switch as well.
Seems simple and smart to me.

A distribution box can be used. It can be one with a main breaker. If the system is not connected to the grid, the mains, the ac "earth" reference is the case of the inverter. The "earth" green wire returns to the inverter case, Not a rod driven into the earth. My vans chassis connect to the battery negative BusBar and any device case lug then connects to the chassis. The chassis becomes the "earth" reference ground, no stake involved.
For a system connected to the mains grid, it is a complicated enough question to be brought to your local electrical code enforcement.
Thank smoothjoey for posting links. I will read them.

A distribution box can be used. It can be one with a main breaker. If the system is not connected to the grid, the mains, the ac "earth" reference is the case of the inverter. The "earth" green wire returns to the inverter case, Not a rod driven into the earth. My vans chassis connect to the battery negative BusBar and any device case lug then connects to the chassis. The chassis becomes the "earth" reference ground, no stake involved.
For a system connected to the mains grid, it is a complicated enough question to be brought to your local electrical code enforcement.
Thank smoothjoey for posting links. I will read them.
Cool,
Reading them now and going to read them again, apparently.

Back