diy solar

diy solar

DIY 12V Lifepo4 Starting Battery?

Kaivorth

Looking to try to build a battery pack for my bass boat. I'll need about 100ah I believe total. It's an 89 40hp Evinrude.

I was looking at the battleborn batteries, and they're rated to about 200a max discharge.

What cells and BMS should I be looking at for this project? Most batteries are rated at a modest 100-130a max discharge

Dealers recommend 800MCA batteries. Not sure how realistic this is, or if it even applies to lithium batteries.

Is this just not practical? Wanted a single battery setup for my bass boat.

Bump. The only battery I see that's rated for starting outboards, is an Ionic 100ah.

Anyway to build one myself for a lot cheaper? Is it the BMS or propietary cells that's preventing me from doing this myself?

Looking for 80-100ah.

Starting batteries are configured high discharge short duration, so you need cells that will handle that. How many amps does your motor pull at start?
Bass pro has several, discount auto did at one time. Among others. Typically like 60ah with 800cca. I know guys that start 40’s with lithium motorcycle batteries, and they seem to work, when it is warm out. Cold, nope

Last edited:
Starting batteries are configured high discharge short duration, so you need cells that will handle that. How many amps does your motor pull at start?
Bass pro has several, discount auto did at one time. Among others. Typically like 60ah with 800cca
It's an 1989 Evinrude 40hp 2 stroke. I can't confirm the cranking amps though, but I can't imagine a ton compared to others I guess

Yeah 60ah 800cca sounds perfect if I can find one for a reasonable price.

Back