diy solar

diy solar

DIY 220v 30amp and 110v system.

Angel-os

I would like to build a solar system for my home that will help to reduce grid consumption close to fully. I have several 220v 30 amp appliances; electric dryer, h/vac and range. Most of the videos I have seen deal with the 110v power. How do I go about building a system that will be able to al least run the 220v blower fan for my heater and my 110v circuits. Do I need to use two different inverters. Can anyone recommend some literature on this subject or some personal experience.

Welcome to the forum. You simply need a 120/240V split phase inverter, but to run appliances like those, they can require an incredible amount of power requiring lots of solar and battery totaling many thousands of $.

The blower motor may not be that big of a deal, but you need to know its power consumption.

Hell snoober, thank you. I don’t think I am going to try to run the dryer. At least not at this point. I am trying to start with a backup system that will power some appliances during an outage. I intend to expand to a system that will tie in and let excess power out into the grid but that would be a long way off. With a split phase inverter I would need to hook up 2? I will do some research. I have zero previous experience. Thank you again.

Back feeding to the grid adds a whole new layer of nightmare to the process, so you need to plan for it from the beginning, or abandon all hope of grid-tie. You need to do all the research up front for what it takes to do grid tie and factor that in at the outset.

Some inverters provide 120/240V split phase alone. Some can be paralleled with another inverter to provide it. The size and number you need depend on how much power you need.

Back feeding to the grid adds a whole new layer of nightmare to the process, so you need to plan for it from the beginning, or abandon all hope of grid-tie. You need to do all the research up front for what it takes to do grid tie and factor that in at the outset.

Some inverters provide 120/240V split phase alone. Some can be paralleled with another inverter to provide it. The size and number you need depend on how much power you need.
Thank you. I will research this thoroughly. The best estimate of my power needs is based on what I pull from the grid. If my meter is correct then I average about 1.5-3kwh but it can peak as high as 20kwh if we are running the dryer range and a/c.

I have plans to convert the dryer and range as part of the change to solar, so they are only temporary, however, my ac and blower fan would need to be part of the system, which pull a good 5k min, so to be safe I think I would be looking somewhere between 7.5-10kwh system.

I know better calculations will be necessary. I have building trade experience with blueprints and working with wire.

I am pretty sure I need a 48v system to start. I was looking at the 7.5kwh 48v lifepo4 batt at big battery, and a 48v charger controller. These have a bms onboard, so if I am understanding correctly from there I can get one of these split phase inverters. Do the split phase inverters have the charge control in them? Does there need to be a charge controller for the a/c and the p/v charging.

What things about a grid tie system are the biggest pain of you don’t mind? Thanks for the info.

The variety of hardware out there is extensive.

Code compliance, additional equipment required, different types of inverters, etc.

Back