diy solar

diy solar

diy 32650 battery bank pure nickel weld strips

Diysolar123

Solar Addict
finally after months of searching I found "real" pure nickel 32650/32700 (4P)spot weld strips.
I purchased many 2P and 3P strips from stores on ebay, and aliexpress, everyone that said pure nickel turned out to be, you guessed it, plated steel. (some stores offered refunds when I showed their product rusting, others, well, I am out some money hehe)
The price you pay does NOT imply you have a better chance at getting actual pure nickel sadly.

On ebay the seller, higher_wire, actually does sell real pure nickel 4P nickel strips!!

I wanted to get pure nickel because of the increase in resistance based on material:
here is a simple table that shows how much MORE material you need to have about same resistance as copper:

aluminum 68%
nickel 316%
solder 733%
tin 549%
mild steel 751%
lead 1210%

so you need almost 8x as much steel to have the same resistance as copper!
interestingly enough, solder has a resistance very similar to steel..so spot welding nickel with good surface contact makes sense.

back on topic, finding pure nickel battery strips for my 32700 cells from batteryhookup was wayyyyyy harder than I thought.
4P strips from higher_wire fit the 32650 cell holders from batteryhookup perfectly.
Hopefully this will save some folks the trouble.

fyi, I test my strips by grinding them down a bit and putting them in a hydrogen peroxide+ salt solution; steel shows up real fast hehe

Back