diy solar

diy solar

DIY 4S LFP Battery Enclosure

Luk3jay

Hello again!
I've searched the forum but can't really find an answer. I've got 4x 3v cells with dimensions of 30x20x8cm HxWxD Per cell. Giving me a total pack dimension of 30x20x42 (Allowing for some foam between cells)

I'd really like to enclose the cells and BMS within an enclosure. I had thought about using a lead-acid battery box but they're all too small.

My next thought was a flight case. I'm thinking I could buy a second hand one which I could get cheap, and then modify it to be the size I need.

And then I realised I could just build my own box out of plywood and buy the individual corner and handle pieces to give it a professional looking finish. My plan is to have it all sealed up with foam padding around the sides and between cells. This is due to it going into my 4x4 van which bounces around off-road a lot and I don't want to damage the cells. I'll have an Anderson connector on the top which will hopefully make the whole thing quite neat and tidy.

Can anyone see an issue with my plan? I'll probably add a heater in there too for winter time so perhaps foam isn't a good idea? and is it okay to build a sealed box or does it need to be ventilated?
Thanks in advance :)

If you have soft foam between your cells you probably will not be able to properly compress/constrain your cells.

Ventilation probably not needed unless your BMS of choice is making it hot.

The foam used would be the dense white stuff often used in packaging and is only thin so I Don't think there'll be an issue. do the cells need to be tightly compressed? I'd assumed that pressure on the cell walls was a bad thing hence thinking of the padding between.

Thank you :)

Back