diy solar

diy solar

DIY 57kwh 48v EVE280k build

Offthewall,

I have the same sized bank as yourself. I set them up as four separate 16s packs on very similar shelving units to yours.

I used a distribution block to combine all the battery cables (using proper ferrules on the wire ends) and each bank has the balance leads terminating to a terminal block. From there, the balance/sense leads from a JBD 200A contactor BMS and a NEEY 4A Smart Balancer connect.

Some photos near the end of the build for you:

Battery Top.png Battery Done.jpg Battery Complete.jpg

It looks much cleaner now that things are very close to 100% complete and operational.

I don't use any comms for the packs/bms/inverter. So everything is working using voltage - and its been flawless thus far.

-Jason

nice work and nice looking

I see you are doing the XW Schneider DUAL inverters.

DUAL XW Pros is my eventual goal as well. Was going to order my first one then got laid off. SO delayed. My PDP is awaiting and my Xantrex 5500 is still working well in the mean time

Currently got 60kwh of Tesla Model S batteries, with shelf space to go to 120kwh.
documented in my build thread

will continue to watch this

Offthewall,

I have the same sized bank as yourself. I set them up as four separate 16s packs on very similar shelving units to yours.

I used a distribution block to combine all the battery cables (using proper ferrules on the wire ends) and each bank has the balance leads terminating to a terminal block. From there, the balance/sense leads from a JBD 200A contactor BMS and a NEEY 4A Smart Balancer connect.

Some photos near the end of the build for you:

View attachment 117796 View attachment 117797 View attachment 117798

It looks much cleaner now that things are very close to 100% complete and operational.

I don't use any comms for the packs/bms/inverter. So everything is working using voltage - and its been flawless thus far.

-Jason
Damn good job!! Looks great!

nice work and nice looking

I see you are doing the XW Schneider DUAL inverters.

DUAL XW Pros is my eventual goal as well. Was going to order my first one then got laid off. SO delayed. My PDP is awaiting and my Xantrex 5500 is still working well in the mean time

Currently got 60kwh of Tesla Model S batteries, with shelf space to go to 120kwh.
documented in my build thread

will continue to watch this
It XW is about 10 years old but not used but a few times when my system was originally set up just as a backup for when the power went out…. I picked up the XW+ used (4 years old but removed after 2 years). I was worried about running the 2 together and had listed the original XW for sale with the intentions of buying a XW pro to replace it if it had sold… however they are working well together so I’ll probably just keep it the way it is.

Damn good job!! Looks great!
Thanks! Yours too. Those XW’s and accessory wiring cabinets make for a nice,clean install. They are super tough units as well - I’ll be suprised if you have any trouble with them.

I run my entire home on the ~57kWh battery bank. I have electric hot water, horse trough heater, and well line heat trace. I run 2 pellet stoves with this system as well. If i go nuts, I can run for 36 hours on only battery with no issues. If I conserve, I can go close to a week on batteries alone. Put the solar in the mix and I run basically off grid all year. I think that size pack will serve you well.

Can’t wait to see it all completed.

Glad your hand is healing!

- Jason

Well I hate to say it but 18650batterystore.com has not been much help at all with the 1 cell that is bad. It started out lower than all the rest, but once charged it is always first to hit overvoltage usually over .100v difference, and the lowest when I drain the pack, again usually by .100v or so. I have emailed them several times rarely get a reply!! Not at all what I expected when I bought them.

Last edited:
Just an update, although 18650batterystore.com did finally get back to me, they were of no help! They asked me to move the cell in the bank to see if it was the BMS causing the issue… I did as they requested and the problem followed the cell. Their reply was that the cell must have a higher internal resistance but shouldn’t be a problem because 120mv+ isn’t that much….. that’s about 5x higher than the difference of the other 63!!

If you are in the market, might want to keep this in mind before you buy from them. I know I will not buy my next set from them!

6D030D2F-7945-42FE-B2FE-947D832C7376.png

Attachments

• CEA68136-F80E-4765-9E4D-F81A965AA181.jpeg
    CEA68136-F80E-4765-9E4D-F81A965AA181.jpeg
    450.8 KB · Views: 16
Just an update, although 18650batterystore.com did finally get back to me, they were of no help! They asked me to move the cell in the bank to see if it was the BMS causing the issue… I did as they requested and the problem followed the cell. Their reply was that the cell must have a higher internal resistance but shouldn’t be a problem because 120mv+ isn’t that much….. that’s about 5x higher than the difference of the other 63!!

If you are in the market, might want to keep this in mind before you buy from them. I know I will not buy my next set from them!

View attachment 122155
Maybe try to clean the terminals of the problematic cell?
You can use "contact cleaner".
Might be some sort of invisible residue on the terminals...

Well I hate to say it but 18650batterystore.com has not been much help at all with the 1 cell that is bad. It started out lower than all the rest, but once charged it is always first to hit overvoltage usually over .100v difference, and the lowest when I drain the pack, again usually by .100v or so. I have emailed them several times rarely get a reply!! Not at all what I expected when I bought them.
Unfortunately I have had same issue.
No matter what always have one runner.
No matter where moved to or how configured always had one that caused problems.

I’ve just learned when dealing with China sourced junk, careless packagers/shippers, to always buy 10% more than I need. It will always get used. Then I take all of my krap stuff and make one krappy little Solar setup. Maybe for a shed, a gate opener, Christmas lights, security system, etc.

Unfortunately I have had same issue.
No matter what always have one runner.
No matter where moved to or how configured always had one that caused problems.
Yea they were no help. I’ll guess I’ll just add a headway LifePO4 cell in line with it to bump up the capacity 10ah. Not exactly what I was hoping for spending this much on a new battery bank!

Did that cell balance out better now that it has been in use for awhile?

We are starting a new 48v project, and I had considered this. I'm guessing this is way cheaper, but we've had great luck with powerqueen LIfePO batts in our studio shed over the last year and a half, so we just picked up another four 12v 200ah batts. With their discounts, buying directly from them, they came out to like $550 per, so 10kWh for around $2300

Back