diy solar

diy solar

DIY accumulator tank.

Don B. Cilly

Energetic energy padawan
I have a 24V water pressure pump. It works just fine, good pressure and all... it just cut in and out a bit too frequently for my taste.
I did buy an accumulator tank for it, with... pretty dismal results. Even after setting the correct pressure - a bit of a trial-and-error process, my car tyre pressure gauge doesn't seem to work too well with it - it still cut in and out a bit too frequently for my taste.

So. Someone gave me a lot of hose. It was a big yacht's, they were throwing it away. After using what I cold for... various purposes, I still had some 30 metres or so left over. So, I left it empty, connected it to the pump outlet (the house water pressure pipes) and shut off the other end.

20220527_130811.jpg

Now the pump cuts in and out at some 10 seconds intervals. I'm quite pleased with it :·)
-

I have a hot water tank in the garage for laundry. It is heated only with excess PV so it can have wild temperature swings. Garage is supplied with water by a garden hose which is turned off between use. Even depressurizing the tank, Pressure builds up to 70psi from water expansion. I used 5 feet of 3/4 pipe for expansion. Still not enough. Most don't realize how much expansion there is as water heats.

I have a 24V water pressure pump. It works just fine, good pressure and all... it just cut in and out a bit too frequently for my taste.
I did buy an accumulator tank for it, with... pretty dismal results. Even after setting the correct pressure - a bit of a trial-and-error process, my car tyre pressure gauge doesn't seem to work too well with it - it still cut in and out a bit too frequently for my taste.

So. Someone gave me a lot of hose. It was a big yacht's, they were throwing it away. After using what I cold for... various purposes, I still had some 30 metres or so left over. So, I left it empty, connected it to the pump outlet (the house water pressure pipes) and shut off the other end.

View attachment 96038

Now the pump cuts in and out at some 10 seconds intervals. I'm quite pleased with it :·)
-
The water will eventually absorb the air in your hose and you will need to empty the hose and reconnect it again. I use a $50 1 gallon hot water expansion tank in my travel trailer

Does your pressure switch not have adjustment screws for that?

Not really. Just for adjusting the pressure. My pump looks like this:
seaflo.jpeg
The water will eventually absorb the air in your hose and you will need to empty the hose and reconnect it again

Well, that could take years... and would take me one minute to do :·)

I use a $50 1 gallon hot water expansion tank in my travel trailer

Well, I bought a €30 one, same make as the pump, and it worked like... not too well :·/
-

Not really. Just for adjusting the pressure. My pump looks like this:
Aaahhh, that explains it. All I've ever worked with are the kind of switches you'd use for a well pump that you can manually set with a cut-in and cut-out. Something like that wired between the pump and power would probably also solve your problems, unless you're using an insane amount of water. :)

diagram.jpg

Well, if the drop in pressure is very fast, it doesn't matter much what you set the differential at.
Whereas, with the accumulator, it takes a lot longer for it to drop.
Hey, I just thought it could be a good DIY idea for those who happen to have an old long old hose lying around ;·)
-

Well, if the drop in pressure is very fast, it doesn't matter much what you set the differential at.
Whereas, with the accumulator, it takes a lot longer for it to drop.
Hey, I just thought it could be a good DIY idea for those who happen to have an old long old hose lying around ;·)
-
Certainly is a great idea if you have the material. Especially if you live in an area where a trip to town is a hassle.

Back