diy solar

diy solar

DIY Arduino controlled limiter for non limiting grid tie inverter

brandonoh777

I am trying to DIY build my own limiter for a non limiting 1000W grig tir inverter the best idea i have is to limit the DC input much the same was as lower sunlight limits the AC output. So i think this can be done with a circuit consisting of a mosfet (maybe some capacitors to smooth the output) and a Arduino to generate and very the PWM signal to the mosfet. Problem is a mosfet data sheet is intimidating to someone whos neevr seen one!!! ME! lol Can anyone help with the mosfet specs and maybe also cap specs i might want to try...?

inverter-- 24V 1000W so input voltages can range between about low 20's and about 37 (OCV of my panels) its a max 1000W inverter so at those voltages im looking at about 41 amps--prob not much higher than 45 amps and can i drive it with a 5V signal form the Arduino or will i need a separate mosfet driver? thanks!!

Brandon

There's a similar thought in the AC battery thread, what's your use-case for this? The PWM approach had a problem for that application, see this post.

Here's a link that explains mosfet datasheet basics, but I'd recommend investing $20 in a few small ones to play around with first.

Also, I'll move this thread to the Home Brew Solar Electronics forum where hopefully more will see it.

1) PWM chopping the input of the grid tie inverter might not be much appreciated by the inverter electronics running their own PWM cycle:
You risk heavy interferences. Personally i never will risk that.
2) Driving a MOS-FET at 45Amps will require a strong gate driver, else you will have too long switching times and dissipate too much energy at linear intermediary levels.

I did this for a bit. I used igbt switching at 12k with a drive of 12v. Real simple Arduino voltage comparator. I got a heap of Rf interference, however the grid tie inverter seemed fine with it. I kept getting shorted igbts from lightning and other random things. Probably need better dv/DT protection. I am now going to attempt to add frequency shifting to my eg8010 based in inverter and just put a relay on ac side of inverter operated by my BMS

Back