diy solar

diy solar

DIY Battery bank - CAN and connectivity questions - Newbie

Melointhesun

I am in the process of buying a land and building a house from scratch and im starting to consider the diffent options for my solar system.

The idea is to have a single phase grid-tied hybrid inverter with a DIY battery bank of at least 16 LiFePO4 cells with 280 ah and connect them in series (SEPLOS BMS)

I would like to request this forum's help with a couple of questions:

1) Assuming the hybrid inverter has CAN connection but does not support SEPLOS BMS, is this a problem ?
2) Is it possible to connect / charge / discharge DYI batteries to any hybrid inverter without using the CAN port ?
3) If so, what would be the disadvantages of not using the CAN port ?

PS. In my country i can request either single phase or three phase meter.

Thank you very much !

1) Assuming the hybrid inverter has CAN connection but does not support SEPLOS BMS, is this a problem ?
2) Is it possible to connect / charge / discharge DYI batteries to any hybrid inverter without using the CAN port ?
3) If so, what would be the disadvantages of not using the CAN port ?
I bought an Inverter with CAN capability and assumed it could communicate with my Orion BMS which also had CAN communications. The Orion had very good CAN interoperability with some chargers in the EV space and I naively assumed I would be able to connect the Orion to my inverter. It was not that simple because the devices need to share the same *terms", which they did not. I don't know if "terms" is the correct word. it may be words, phrases, protocol or a common dictionary. The bottom line is my inverter manufacturer has not opened up their CAN to third party devices so I am out of luck. 1) This is not a problem for me..

As a workaround, I have used relay closures on the BMS to open the DC contactor to disconnect the battery from the inverter. This is a last resort solution to prevent damage to the battery.
2) Yes it is possible to connect the inverter to the BMS using contact closures. That system works fine and I rely on conservative charge and discharge settings to reduce the probability of ever needing the contactor to open and disconnect the battery.
3) There are not a lot of disadvantages for a stationary system like mine. I don't need different charge profiles like I would in an EV. Even if I had functioning CAN communications I would probably use contact closures as a fallback in case the CAN communications failed. It is important to note that my BMS uses a contactor and my response may not be relevant for a FET based BMS.

Back