diy solar

diy solar

DIY battery bus bars?

b3k

Hi, pretty new to solar and I've been crash coursing myself for the past couple days. Currently doing a bus build and saw the price of battleborns which 180'd me to look at diy options. After browsing for a bit I found a good deal on prepackaged cells from Batteryhookup ( https://batteryhookup.com/products/new-battery-hookup-lifep04-32650-3-2v-5000mah-cells-1 )

So what I'm planning on doing is getting 8 3.2v 100ah packs and wiring them in series with a 24v overkill BMS. I learn best from videos and seeing how people wire their setups, but all of the diy batteries I've been coming across are done with prismatic cells and using plates for bus bars. The description on the battery website says that you can use nuts and bots to wire them together. Can anyone direct me to a diagram of how to connect these in series with the balance lead from the bms?

And what kind of bolts work best as bus bars? steel aluminum?

Thanks for reading!

Most bus bars are tin-plated copper or copper. The big question is whether, in a bus, you want to use flat bar or bars with a bend /and or braided bars to allow for vibration. Making busbars with wires and lugs will also work. Overkill website has an excellent manual for how to hook up their BMS and they are very responsive to questions. Have you looked at Will Prowse's you tubes. There is also under resources above links to many documents providing an overview of issues. For instance on wiring--- https://diysolarforum.com/resources/cell-configurations-for-12v-24v-and-48v-lifepo4-batteries.42/.

Reactions: b3k
What's your total cost on 8 packs with BMS, etc?
There are cheaper LFP batteries than Battle Born.
Hi, pretty new to solar and I've been crash coursing myself for the past couple days. Currently doing a bus build and saw the price of battleborns which 180'd me to look at diy options. After browsing for a bit I found a good deal on prepackaged cells from Batteryhookup ( https://batteryhookup.com/products/new-battery-hookup-lifep04-32650-3-2v-5000mah-cells-1 )

So what I'm planning on doing is getting 8 3.2v 100ah packs and wiring them in series with a 24v overkill BMS. I learn best from videos and seeing how people wire their setups, but all of the diy batteries I've been coming across are done with prismatic cells and using plates for bus bars. The description on the battery website says that you can use nuts and bots to wire them together. Can anyone direct me to a diagram of how to connect these in series with the balance lead from the bms?

Thanks for reading!

Thanks Dhasper, that pdf helped alot. Ive been mainly going through Wills youtube and his website.

Also, I was able to get all 8 packs and bms for a total of $700. I'm aware of the SOK batteries that just went back in stock the day after I purchased these prepackaged cells. But after figuring this out I think i'll still be saving money.

Thanks for reading!
If building your own with cells, I would buy bigger than 100ah cell maybe 272-280ah. You won't regret it. There is a guy on this forum that does group buys shipped to your door.

If building your own with cells, I would buy bigger than 100ah cell maybe 272-280ah. You won't regret it. There is a guy on this forum that does group buys shipped to your door.
Thanks, for future additions ill remember this but im kind of on a time crunch.

Back