diy solar

diy solar

DIY Bus Bars from copper bar

kromc5,

Nice work! A question. You have some pics showing complete systems using the single stud style terminals, and the start of a system using the twin hole style. I can get my cells in either style -- do you have any thoughts on the differences? I note that you only used 1 hole of the twin style.

Also, in the complete system, where you have 4 cells in parallel then series connected to the next 4, you not only connected both sets in parallel, but you series connected each pair of cells (rather than 1 or 2 jumpers to the next set of cells). I'm thinking that solution (but with one or 2 jumpers) as it has more flexibility, or a single plate (say 3" wide by 8" long) with all the holes drilled in it. More rigid (a down side) but much cleaner/simpler.
I just started with the new two-hole-style terminals. I tried to get them in the single hole as I had many leftover parts I could have used. But they do not make them like that anymore. I preferred the single as it allowed me to set the height easily for the busbars and other components. Interestingly, my old busbars fit the hole spacing, but they are off-center. I plan only to drill one hole, hoping the parallel bars will help even the pressure across the series connectors. After I get one built, I should be able to offer a better option on it. Screws are already an issue as it's not easy to locally source aluminum m6 x 20mm screws.

Screws are already an issue as it's not easy to locally source aluminum m6 x 20mm screws.
That brings up something I've been wondering about. On sailboats, with salt water, we use a lot of aluminum, and then stick in SS fasteners. It is a disaster, an adhesion suitable for space age connections. I've been wondering about SS fasteners in those terminals, but thinking maybe inside in a dry environment it would work. I've also been thinking that steel (or maybe plated steel) might be a better answer (less corrosion with aluminum, and rust might be a non-issue). But aluminum fasteners (if you can find them and they are strong enough) are a perfect solution.

That brings up something I've been wondering about. On sailboats, with salt water, we use a lot of aluminum, and then stick in SS fasteners. It is a disaster, an adhesion suitable for space age connections. I've been wondering about SS fasteners in those terminals, but thinking maybe inside in a dry environment it would work. I've also been thinking that steel (or maybe plated steel) might be a better answer (less corrosion with aluminum, and rust might be a non-issue). But aluminum fasteners (if you can find them and they are strong enough) are a perfect solution.
I would like to avoid using lubricants or anti-seize, if possible. But so far, everything I have found is not local, with estimated shipping times from mid-April to late May.

I would like to avoid using lubricants or anti-seize, if possible. But so far, everything I have found is not local, with estimated shipping times from mid-April to late May.
Amazon can help with fasteners!
M6x30 delivered in no time flat: https://a.co/d/iRKaYhV
Or 20mm in pretty colors: https://a.co/d/5etPjuy
I think those colors are only anodizing, which is just aluminum oxide with dye added. So they are essentially "just aluminum."
but if you want studs to top with nuts, that could be harder. Perhaps buy 40mm and cut off the heads?
Still I wonder about the strength of aluminum fasteners. Granted, if they break off and you can remove the remains, it's not too horrible.

Amazon can help with fasteners!
M6x30 delivered in no time flat: https://a.co/d/iRKaYhV
Or 20mm in pretty colors: https://a.co/d/5etPjuy
I think those colors are only anodizing, which is just aluminum oxide with dye added. So they are essentially "just aluminum."
but if you want studs to top with nuts, that could be harder. Perhaps buy 40mm and cut off the heads?
Still I wonder about the strength of aluminum fasteners. Granted, if they break off and you can remove the remains, it's not too horrible.
That is an amazing find. I bought the second one in your link for fitment testing a while back. I was worried about the anodizing and whether that itself could cause issues.

Attachments

• P3260480.JPG
    P3260480.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 4
  • P3260479.JPG
    P3260479.JPG
    220.4 KB · Views: 4
Back