diy solar

diy solar

DIY buss bar plus fuse set up

Mike Jordan

Solar Enthusiast
I am building a smaller solar generator/power station. I am waiting on 100ah cells to build a 4s battery. My biggest load will be (at current plan) a 500w inverter. Then I will have a SCC, and various 12v/USB connections. So nothing crazy in size.

But I am also on the hunt for a new travel trailer, which I am sure will get LFP battery and other systems upgrades. Although everything would be scaled up for the RV, I wanted to use the solar gen as my basic design prototype

I had a design idea in my head with DIY buss bars and fuses, when up pops this video on YT, (below) with the same concept I had in my head. I was excited and watched the vid. When I scrolled down to read through the description, the poster references issues with ANL fuses and no longer recommends the design, which I thought was genius for few connections and compactness

Are there brands of the ANL fuses that are known for quality control? Or maybe another fuse type to create the same concept that would be better?

I saw this video and I liked the concept also. I'm still moving forward with this design. I'm going to get Bussmann brand or Blue Sea branded fuses so I know that they are higher quality. I ordered my buss bar from the onlinemetals.com website and I noticed that they offer them plated with silver or tin for not too much more $$ so I ordered them that way.

I'm paralleling 2 battery packs together so I got a 1, 2, 1+2 switch that I'm going to hookup like he did in the video. I love how this design reduces the number of connection points as connections always have some resistance to them.

Ok, that's an interesting way to get the MPPT around the battery disconnect switch (looks like MPPT - the positive wire on left of batt disc)! But, but...he has no main battery fuse before the bus bar...must really, really trust his cables. Don't see a way to disconnect the MPPT from the battery with a switch.

Nate is a Battle Born influencer and a complete hack. I would not use him as a reference for what to do in any way.

1) No main battery fuse
2) No MPPT disconnect
3) Cheap ass fuse holders that he "adjusts" so the fuses float at right height on a nut - this is nowhere near safe
4) Cheap ass fuses that are suspect in the actual protection point
5) No thought over dissimilar metals

He gets paid when you click on the links to order your parts.

You are much better off reading the excellent resources by @FilterGuy on here as they are well reviewed and take safety as a priority.

If you want something similar but good quality and safe you can get the Eaton LMI series and customize it. Only downside is the small stud sizes.

Series LMI Configurative AMI fuse holder system

Or, not configurable but an excellent product:

Last edited:
Back