diy solar

diy solar

DIY Checklist

svetz

Works in theory! Practice? That's something else
Ready to DIY a Solar PV Installation?

Adding solar PV is almost always a good decision, but it shouldn't be an impulse buy because you saw some panels at store because there's a lot to think about and what you buy may not be right for you without considering them.

Check off all the items on the checklist to make sure you're ready to go before you buy!

This list represents some hard-learned lessons that members have posted over the years. It's meant as a guide of things to consider when you start thinking about adding solar.

Help for many of the items (e.g., wire sizing) can be found in the Frequently Asked Questions section. If there's anything you don't understand or is tricky in your situation just ask on the forums!

Planning​

1. Energy Audit completed
  2. Create a spreadsheet or other model of the system (e.g., SAM) to ensure you understand the expected power generated for your location over the varying seasons.
  3. Check your local rules
    1. Research local net-metering agreement to see if being grid-tied is warranted (it usually is)
    2. Some local governments will require a "licensed solar contractor" at least for some parts.
  4. Annual shade patterns analyzed and location picked (if some panels will have shade, think about microinverters or optimizers)
  5. Research National, State, and local economic incentives for installing solar
  6. Build a rough economic model to understand payback (or use SAM's)
  7. Decide on the Array size you can afford (number and type of panels), and then decide the location, racking technique, and orientation (note: south isn't always best, use a tool like SAM to find the optimum). Most put them on the roof to conserve yard space, but if you have a lot of land and think they look cool it might be more economical and easier to maintain them on the ground.
  8. Critical loads (or smart loads) planned
  9. Ability to measure power from/to: Panels, house (inverter output), batteries, grid
  10. Monitoring solution to generate alerts if anything goes wrong
  11. Battery low/high voltage and temperature cutoff
  12. SPDs planned or ruled out for the house and panels.
  13. Insurance Plan, many insurance companies need to be notified and have different rates depending on the amount installed.
  14. Rapid shutdown planned (optional for ground mounts in the U.S.)
  15. Panel disconnect planned
  16. NEC requirements satisfied
    1. Proper wire types/gauges calculated
    2. Roof conduit (elevated if needed) planned
    3. 120% rule verified
    4. Grounding/Earthing plan
    5. Voltage drops calculated
    6. UV Resistant Labeling as per codes
  17. Building Codes
    1. Mounting plan to withstand local winds
    2. Verification roof doesn't need additional support for additional forces
    3. Battery bank location can withstand/support weight, has proper ventilation (if needed), and fire safety (enclosures or plans to contain any fire).
    4. Roof Plan (e.g., no Zone 3 or if so reinforced)
    5. Components all mounted at BFE+1 (flood zones only)
    6. Double-check all selected hardware is ETL/UL, or equivalent.
  18. Figure out how to get panels/tools to site (roof) without falling off the ladder.
  19. Determine how many, if any, soft-starters you'll need.
  20. Purchase all the necessary tools ahead of time. Some tools are hard to source locally.
  21. Review the Energy audit and replace inefficient, high consumption appliances with more efficient models.

Preparation​

1. Create a building permit. Often your local office will have examples you can use, if not there are online sources that can create plans for you too.
  2. Put roof in good repair (it'll need to last +20 years underneath)
  3. Plan to seal all roof penetrations
  4. Size Battery bank disconnect/breaker
  5. Size Grid disconnect/breaker
  6. Select hardware for all equipment, double check shipping costs and times, and refine the economic analysis
  7. Design strings (not required for microinverters) and that they're balanced and under MPP maximums with temperature corrections
  8. Verify wire gauges
  9. Create a panel cleaning/maintenance plan (can you get to those middle panels easily enough?)

Post PTO​

1. Check your electric bill, some learned the hard way they didn't get a bidirectional meter installed and got charged for power they exported to the grid.
  2. Warranty, Engineering and Maintenance documentation assembled (for future owners after home/vehicle sale)
  3. Setup the monitoring software
  4. Create a log/notebook so you can track what the settings are and how you've modified them over time.
  5. Test battery back-ups

Excellent list, to which I offer a couple additions, in the context of safety:
Disclaimer: I have no economic or other interest in any brand or vendor mentioned.

1. Some jurisdictions require, per National Electrical Code (NEC), an RSS (rapid shutdown system) that is designed to reduce the PV array voltage to under 30VDC within 30 seconds of activation, because PV roof fires present a shock risk to firefighters. But that hazard also exists for a DIY or remote location where the risk is to the owner rather than municipal responders. Microinverters are one option, and RSS from Tigo and NEP are 2 others. I was unaware of this risk until well after I'd bought and connected my solar panels. I opted for a retrofit RSS using Tigo TS4-A-2F modules once I visualized the 8KW solar panels in flames on my roof, all the while still generating nearly 200VDC, regardless of the combiner box breaker or the inverter being shut down.

2. DC arc suppression breakers; again, little did I know when I started my 8KW PV project that DC arcs are far more troublesome than conventional household 120/240 VAC circuits; DC arcs don't self-extinguish, so a shorted solar panel, shorts in any of the wiring, or poor connections, will continue to burn so long as current is flowing. This (arc fault breaker) is also an NEC requirement, but I've not found a reasonable DIY solution; DC breakers with arc detection as of early this year (2022) were few and far between, and not especially reliable.

3. Matched brand, all MC4 connector pairs: This is becoming a more common insurance carrier requirement in commercial installations because of fires (like Amazon facilities have recently experienced). As of late 2022, there is neither a national nor international standard for MC4 connector interchangeability/interconnectivity for this key, current-carrying PV component. It appears that arc-induced fires are often caused by, or attributed to mismatched connector pairs, ie while the plastic housings fit and latch, the male/female metal parts of different brands may not make good electrical connections. This may cause arcing, overheating, and worst case, fires.
As I understand it, Staubli "invented" the MC connectors, now often-copied by Chinese vendors, yet these vendors do not certify that their connectors are made to the Staubli construction and dimensional standards (which may be proprietary to Staubli). This lack of standardization is evidenced by the range of prices, which I've seen from under $1 per MC4 pair to over $5 per pair for Staubli. My Tigo RSS modules came with Staubli, so I opted to cut all the "off-brand" MC4's from my PV arrays and crimped on my own Staubli's. Further, I also replaced all of the other cheapo MC4's I had used for my array wiring.
Apparently this mismatched connector brand issue has become a major factor for huge solar farms where multiple contractors doing on-site wire terminations may not have matched the connector pairs on the PV panels and other wiring. Failures and fires then developed several years after installation. For me, it going all-Staublil added $10/panel, but now I can rest easy at night.

4. Finally, while I don't have the room for a ground based array, I see now that besides being more convenient to work on, a fire on the ground is way better than one on the roof of a house or building.

JMO (Just MY Opinion), YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary);
Bob

Last edited:
great document!

suggestion: maybe spell each acronym out for the first time of use, to facilitate new visitors comprehension

thank you for this wonderful checklist!

Back