diy solar

diy solar

DIY combiner box component brands

tonyg

Ciao friends,

What would your recommendations be for a diy combiner box components? I'm saying box, but not going to have a physical box, just the functionality of it mounted tidily with DIN rails ;) :
  • MC4 combiners - Y or T or whatever, I don't mind
  • MC4 fuses
  • dc disconnect switch with at least 150VDC and 50A
  • SPDs - surge protection devices
I am not sure I know best brands, I'm looking at Schneider for example, but it doesn't really have options for dc.
Trying hard to avoid Chinese / unknown / unsafe / untested brands...

Thanks,
T

I found them, but they're based in the US and I like to buy locally (UK)...

Get a large junction box.

Get Cable Glands.

Get din rails.

Get Dinkle Assembly's.
Wire up your own MC4 connectors on the outside through the cable glands and into a fuse or breaker or SPD whichever you prefer. Then run to the next DIN rail to each Dinkle block as an input for each string. Use the Dinkle's for DC combining. They have jumpers to tie each block on the rail.

Now take that output and run it through an IMO switch that is nippled to the junction box then to your MPPT.

Example. You might need a much bigger box though depending on how many rows and strings but you get the point.

1654891567634.png

Thanks for the tips, but especially for dinkle, that stuff is amazing. Haven't heard of this before. I really like this option ...

I'm getting there...

What would be the recommended order of components?
Option 1: 2 x PV strings -> Fuse on Positive + Fuse on Negative -> Dinkle combiner -> SPD -> DC Isolator switch-> MPPT .
OR
Option 2: 2 x PV strings -> Fuse on Positive + Fuse on Negative -> SPD -> Dinkle combiner -> DC Isolator switch -> MPPT.
OR
Option 3: 2 x PV strings -> Fuse on Positive + Fuse on Negative -> DC Isolator switch -> Dinkle combiner -> SPD -> MPPT.

Combining the two strings before SPDs, would be better I think, for I have to use one less SPD... :)

I'm getting there...

Option 1: 2 x PV strings -> Fuse on Positive + Fuse on Negative -> Dinkle combiner -> SPD -> DC Isolator switch-> MPPT .
OR
Option 2: 2 x PV strings -> Fuse on Positive + Fuse on Negative -> SPD -> Dinkle combiner -> DC Isolator switch -> MPPT.
OR
Option 3: 2 x PV strings -> Fuse on Positive + Fuse on Negative -> DC Isolator switch -> Dinkle combiner -> SPD -> MPPT.

Combining the two strings before SPDs, would be better I think, for I have to use one less SPD... :)
Usually you want to combine as soon as possible to limit the amount hardware down the line as long as you make sure to up your wiring to handle the amps. Option #1 looks the best.

I would also look into the specs on your MPPT. A lot of decent ones have Ground Fault, Arc Fault and Surge built in.

I'm getting there...

OR
OR

Option 2 is the way to go. if you are in uk try voltaconsolar they have good quality affordable ready made combiner box. it will cost you more to do it yourself.

Attachments

• combinaer.png
    combinaer.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Option 2 is the way to go. if you are in uk try voltaconsolar they have good quality affordable ready made combiner box. it will cost you more to do it yourself.
personally I buy in china and replace the SPD with well-known brand.

I have not seen best reviews for voltacon solar, hence why I didn't feel confident to use them... I tried calling to discuss with them, never had someone answering either.

Yes, seems like nice prices, but can't really trust them to be fair ...

Back