diy solar

diy solar

DIY enphase battery hybrid inverter

rearden

I have an M215 based GT system and was playing around with a battery based system. I took an EPever charge controller, 24V battery, a few random solar panels and a spare M215 inverter.

The solar panels would charge the battery (first LA, then lifepo4) via the epever 30a charge controller. I then put the charge controller into nighttime switch mode where the epever would turn on a load for a specified period of time at after sundown/befroe sunrise. The load was the spare M215. It would run for 2-3 hours pulling current from the battery. The epever performed low voltage/overvoltage duties also. It was a way to shift some of my solar production to the nighttime hours. It still had all the benefits and flaws of a GT system, but time shifted. No grid down power, but also no islanding issues and met UL. It is my coarse understanding that the enphase batteries do essentially the same thing, but the IQ8 and some brains replace the epever and M215.

A couple of questions:
1. Has anyone else created a similar system?
2. I had a lot of trouble communicating with the epever, often it would not take my parameter changes. Anyone have a similar problem and solution?
3. Working with the M215 was tricky. I let the smoke out of a few of them. It makes sense, but was still a problem. If you connect them directly to a 24v battery, they will short and let the smoke out. I had to connect it in series with an NTC termistor to limit the inrush current. Usually over time the NTC wold crack and die. I didn't know how much limitation the M215 needed. I eventually combined it with a timed switch, which would go closed after 90 sec or so. That helped, but looked even more Rube Goldberg. I am assuming that the M215 is expecting a solar panel, which has naturally limited current. The battery looks like an infinite current source and blows something. Once it determines that is is 24v and starts running MPPT on it, then it calms down and only takes what it needs. It would be nice to have a little more information on how to not let the smoke out of a M215. Has anyone designed a better solution to working with a GT inverter expecting solar, but running it with a battery instead?
4. Has anyone tried this with a IQ7 or even better an IQ8 or similar inverter? If the IQ8 could be used as an inverter charger with battery, grid and PV input/output that would be useful. It seems like that is exactly what they are doing in their battery, with the inclusion of a transfer switch for grid forming and such. ATM I don't want grid forming. Just a battery agnostic scaleable MPPT/inverter/charger.

rearden

Working with the M215 was tricky. I let the smoke out of a few of them.
After you let all the smoke out of all of them and your inverter, you will have better luck with a UL1741SA approved hybrid and Enphase IQ7 micros which are 1741SA. There are some neweer M215s that may also be 1741SA. AC coupling is simple with the right equipment. I have done it at two different homes I have owned since 2018.

After you let all the smoke out of all of them and your inverter, you will have better luck with a UL1741SA approved hybrid and Enphase IQ7 micros which are 1741SA. There are some neweer M215s that may also be 1741SA. AC coupling is simple with the right equipment. I have done it at two different homes I have owned since 2018.
What part of UL1741SA would help for this particular method of letting the smoke out? The particular problem referenced comes from the DC side of the inverter not the AC side or AC coupling.

rearden

What part of UL1741SA would help for this particular method of letting the smoke out? The particular problem referenced comes from the DC side of the inverter not the AC side or AC coupling.
I have no idea how the smoke escaped or what was connected on the DC side. I assumed you connected the AC side of the micro to the AC side of a hybrid inverter.
UL1741 is an AC specification that allows a hybrid inverter to use AC forming freguency to modulate the output of a GT inverter to match loads when off the grid. No modulation is necessary when connected to the grid since the grid presents an infinite load. Rereading your post I realize you did not have a hybrid inverter so I must have assumed that from the title. I am sorry that without using a hybrid inverter I can't be much help.
However you have proved the hypothesis that it is possible to destroy a micro inverter by connecting an MPPT charge controller on the DC side of a micro inverter. Did you get any good readings of voltage and current so others can benefit from your experiment?

Last edited:
I have no idea how the smoke escaped or what was connected on the DC side. I assumed you connected the AC side of the micro to the AC side of a hybrid inverter.
UL1741 is an AC specification that allows a hybrid inverter to use AC forming freguency to modulate the output of a GT inverter to match loads when off the grid. No modulation is necessary when connected to the grid since the grid presents an infinite load. Rereading your post I realize you did not have a hybrid inverter so I must have assumed that from the title. I am sorry that without using a hybrid inverter I can't be much help.
However you have proved the hypothesis that it is possible to destroy a micro inverter by connecting an MPPT charge controller on the DC side of a micro inverter. Did you get any good readings of voltage and current so others can benefit from your experiment?

I sacrificed for the good of the DIY cummunity and conclusively proved that you can destroy a MPPT inverter by connecting a DC source other than solar to the DC input, and that you can solve this problem by limiting the current. :oops:

I did not get any current or voltage readings. But I was using a M215 with a low 20 something -30 something voltage rating. (I can look it up) connected to a 24v battery which was probably floating around 27v. I used a NTC thermistor to limit the current and that did not let the smoke out. I can look up what I used, but it was a low resistance and rated for 15A or so. Once the MPPT got synced, it would draw between 8-10Adc depending upon the voltage and it would generate power fine without the NTC thermistor in the circuit.

rearden

To understand your test conditions, what was the AC load you had connected to the M215 output? Any current generated has to have someplace to go.
I am very successfully AC coupling 3000watts of M215s to my off-grid Conext SW4024 inverter.

To understand your test conditions, what was the AC load you had connected to the M215 output? Any current generated has to have someplace to go.
I am very successfully AC coupling 3000watts of M215s to my off-grid Conext SW4024 inverter.
This was a standard grid tie scenario. The load was the AC side being connected to my house 240vac. I have an enphase M215 based solar power system. The inverter running from the battery was connected to the same circuit as the other solar connected M215 inverters. I swapped the dc input from solar to battery on one of the inverters.

Maybe the subject of another thread, but I’d love to hear more about how you ac couple. Thinking about the IQ8s.

Maybe the subject of another thread, but I’d love to hear more about how you ac couple. Thinking about the IQ8s.
I know this was addressed to @rearden but if I understood his posts correctly he was not AC coupling his micros to a hybrid inverter. I have done that on a couple of installations using both a Solaredge and IQ7s AC coupled to an Outback Skybox. Start a new thread and If I don't respond quickly PM me and I can give you more of my experience. My system is in my signature.
@Bluedog225

I have an M215 based GT system and was playing around with a battery based system. I took an EPever charge controller, 24V battery, a few random solar panels and a spare M215 inverter.

The solar panels would charge the battery (first LA, then lifepo4) via the epever 30a charge controller. I then put the charge controller into nighttime switch mode where the epever would turn on a load for a specified period of time at after sundown/befroe sunrise. The load was the spare M215. It would run for 2-3 hours pulling current from the battery. The epever performed low voltage/overvoltage duties also. It was a way to shift some of my solar production to the nighttime hours. It still had all the benefits and flaws of a GT system, but time shifted. No grid down power, but also no islanding issues and met UL. It is my coarse understanding that the enphase batteries do essentially the same thing, but the IQ8 and some brains replace the epever and M215.

A couple of questions:
1. Has anyone else created a similar system?
2. I had a lot of trouble communicating with the epever, often it would not take my parameter changes. Anyone have a similar problem and solution?
3. Working with the M215 was tricky. I let the smoke out of a few of them. It makes sense, but was still a problem. If you connect them directly to a 24v battery, they will short and let the smoke out. I had to connect it in series with an NTC termistor to limit the inrush current. Usually over time the NTC wold crack and die. I didn't know how much limitation the M215 needed. I eventually combined it with a timed switch, which would go closed after 90 sec or so. That helped, but looked even more Rube Goldberg. I am assuming that the M215 is expecting a solar panel, which has naturally limited current. The battery looks like an infinite current source and blows something. Once it determines that is is 24v and starts running MPPT on it, then it calms down and only takes what it needs. It would be nice to have a little more information on how to not let the smoke out of a M215. Has anyone designed a better solution to working with a GT inverter expecting solar, but running it with a battery instead?
4. Has anyone tried this with a IQ7 or even better an IQ8 or similar inverter? If the IQ8 could be used as an inverter charger with battery, grid and PV input/output that would be useful. It seems like that is exactly what they are doing in their battery, with the inclusion of a transfer switch for grid forming and such. ATM I don't want grid forming. Just a battery agnostic scaleable MPPT/inverter/charger.

rearden

Basically you are trying to power the M215's from battery instead of PV panel which can be done. However, you need to control the battery voltage and limit short circuit current. Your M215's likely smoked due to uncontrolled current from the batteries. Check the M215 specs for max short circuit supported. Your probably need a DC/DC converter with current limit control between the battery and M215.

Back