diy solar

diy solar

DIY Heliostat

rolphill

I was wondering if anyone has ever messed with DIY heliostats or solar trackers? I'm working on a solar project at work, and it inspired me to look back into solar for my house.

As much as I'd like to build a PV array right now, big investments with long paybacks are not feasible for me currently, even diy (except maybe picking up the occasional cheap used panel on facebook marketplace). We currently heat with propane though, and running the numbers, 1kW of solar thermal collection in MI would save me about 50 cents a day in propane at this year's prices. This works out to something like a $100/m2 target for a one year payback. That's a tight target to hit.

I've always loved solar thermal power towers. I love steam engines, and I love the idea of a field of remote controlled mirrors. If I ever won the lottery, I'd build and operate my own mini solar thermal powerplant. So I got to thinking about heliostats. I think I could build a heliostat for less than $100/m2 no problem. It's also much easier financially for me to build things $20 at a time. This kind of device is exactly the kind of thing I build at work and for fun.

I'm working on a prototype heliostat to shine sunlight into a window. I built a proof of concept tracker to test the software, and it seems to work quite well. So, I figured I'd go ahead and start working on a small heliostat. I'm going to start small, a 1 square meter heliostat to shine sunlight into the living room window. It will make a perfect test platform. I'm using the software from Gabriel Miller, with some modifications to fit my circuitry. His website is gone, but you can access it through the internet archive.

I built a tiny little tracker to test the software, and it seems to work correctly. I left it running for several days at my desk, and it always seemed to point in the right direction and was never messed up when I came in to work in the morning.
20221026_091203.jpg

Turns out this is the perfect project to use an old 3d printer board and motors for. It's got 4+ stepper drivers, connections for limit switches, etc. At the bottom of the picture is the screw axis I'll be using two of on the real prototype. It's printed in PLA plus, which unlike regular PLA, is stronger and doesn't soften at higher temperatures like in a car in summer. If any of the printed parts are too weak, I'll remake them in aluminum on the HAAS CNC I have at work. If the motors don't have the torque to move the heliostat in higher winds, I'll redesign it with a bigger gear reduction. The printer board isn't designed with efficiency in mind, but it only consumes 30mA 12V when the motors aren't moving, so I'll eventually add a 10 watt panel to keep the battery topped off. The board and software have the ability to run two heliostats, so that will cut the per unit cost of the electronics in half. However if I go on to build more I'll probably make my own circuit boards.

Here's a general concept of my heliostat. It's not going to be exactly the same as the model, as some things clip into each other, but it's a good general idea. Plus, I'll probably add a counterweight. Since it's a heliostat and not a solar tracker, it doesn't need as much horizontal travel as you would think.
heliostat 3 v4.png

I'll probably use thin plywood covered with reflective tape for the first panel. And I'll either lay a couple sand bags on the frame or use some tent stakes to keep it in place. This first prototype is just a proof of concept to test the design and software. If It can hold up for a few months without major issues, I'll know it's a viable setup for my real plan.

My eventual dream is to build a field of heliostats that focus the sunlight on a single thermal collector. Based on my thermostat's reporting of furnace usage, last January I averaged 150kWh of heating a day. This works out to something like 30 square meters of solar thermal power. That seems like a lot, but that's only the upper limit before diminishing returns really kick in. I plan on starting small and slowly building up if it works and I feel like it. Normally you'd start by making your house more energy efficient, but it's a cheap manufactured home from 1990. It has thin walls with little insulation, and I want to replace it in a few years anyways.

I have a plenty big enough field for something like this, so that's not a problem. Existing commercial and diy designs for solar thermal collectors really aren't designed for concentrated sunlight. However, I have a good bit of hobby experience with boilers, burners, and steam engines, so it won't be hard to design a concentrated thermal collector of maybe 3-4 square meters that I can put maybe 6-10 feet up above the ground. This should be able to heat pumped circulating water. For storage, I live in farm country, so it's cheap to buy used IBC totes around here. These are those big white plastic containers with the metal cage around them. They hold between 270 and 330 gallons. That can store 40kWh going from 100 to 150 F. It would be pretty easy to get one of those and insulate it. The only hard part is pumping this stuff to the house without freezing and expelling the heat in the house. My furnace has a condenser coil for central air that I don't use. I might pump water through that and run the blower. Or I could get some junkyard radiators and box fans to start with. Anyways, that's getting way ahead of myself. The storage wouldn't be much different than the solar shed from builditsolar.com.

So that's my crazy idea.

When using a flat reflector it's possible to populate the board with many small adjustable reflectors and end up making something with the pinpointing properties of a parabolic reflector.. Disco ball mirrors.

Very cool

I'd eventually like to build a solar tracker. I live in a hot region, so a heliostat doesn't specify help my situation. But, it's a cool project. I'm interested to see updates.

I was wondering if anyone has ever messed with DIY heliostats or solar trackers? I'm working on a solar project at work, and it inspired me to look back into solar for my house.

As much as I'd like to build a PV array right now, big investments with long paybacks are not feasible for me currently, even diy (except maybe picking up the occasional cheap used panel on facebook marketplace). We currently heat with propane though, and running the numbers, 1kW of solar thermal collection in MI would save me about 50 cents a day in propane at this year's prices. This works out to something like a $100/m2 target for a one year payback. That's a tight target to hit.

I've always loved solar thermal power towers. I love steam engines, and I love the idea of a field of remote controlled mirrors. If I ever won the lottery, I'd build and operate my own mini solar thermal powerplant. So I got to thinking about heliostats. I think I could build a heliostat for less than $100/m2 no problem. It's also much easier financially for me to build things $20 at a time. This kind of device is exactly the kind of thing I build at work and for fun.

I'm working on a prototype heliostat to shine sunlight into a window. I built a proof of concept tracker to test the software, and it seems to work quite well. So, I figured I'd go ahead and start working on a small heliostat. I'm going to start small, a 1 square meter heliostat to shine sunlight into the living room window. It will make a perfect test platform. I'm using the software from Gabriel Miller, with some modifications to fit my circuitry. His website is gone, but you can access it through the internet archive.

I built a tiny little tracker to test the software, and it seems to work correctly. I left it running for several days at my desk, and it always seemed to point in the right direction and was never messed up when I came in to work in the morning.
View attachment 118223

Turns out this is the perfect project to use an old 3d printer board and motors for. It's got 4+ stepper drivers, connections for limit switches, etc. At the bottom of the picture is the screw axis I'll be using two of on the real prototype. It's printed in PLA plus, which unlike regular PLA, is stronger and doesn't soften at higher temperatures like in a car in summer. If any of the printed parts are too weak, I'll remake them in aluminum on the HAAS CNC I have at work. If the motors don't have the torque to move the heliostat in higher winds, I'll redesign it with a bigger gear reduction. The printer board isn't designed with efficiency in mind, but it only consumes 30mA 12V when the motors aren't moving, so I'll eventually add a 10 watt panel to keep the battery topped off. The board and software have the ability to run two heliostats, so that will cut the per unit cost of the electronics in half. However if I go on to build more I'll probably make my own circuit boards.

Here's a general concept of my heliostat. It's not going to be exactly the same as the model, as some things clip into each other, but it's a good general idea. Plus, I'll probably add a counterweight. Since it's a heliostat and not a solar tracker, it doesn't need as much horizontal travel as you would think.
View attachment 118225

I'll probably use thin plywood covered with reflective tape for the first panel. And I'll either lay a couple sand bags on the frame or use some tent stakes to keep it in place. This first prototype is just a proof of concept to test the design and software. If It can hold up for a few months without major issues, I'll know it's a viable setup for my real plan.

My eventual dream is to build a field of heliostats that focus the sunlight on a single thermal collector. Based on my thermostat's reporting of furnace usage, last January I averaged 150kWh of heating a day. This works out to something like 30 square meters of solar thermal power. That seems like a lot, but that's only the upper limit before diminishing returns really kick in. I plan on starting small and slowly building up if it works and I feel like it. Normally you'd start by making your house more energy efficient, but it's a cheap manufactured home from 1990. It has thin walls with little insulation, and I want to replace it in a few years anyways.

I have a plenty big enough field for something like this, so that's not a problem. Existing commercial and diy designs for solar thermal collectors really aren't designed for concentrated sunlight. However, I have a good bit of hobby experience with boilers, burners, and steam engines, so it won't be hard to design a concentrated thermal collector of maybe 3-4 square meters that I can put maybe 6-10 feet up above the ground. This should be able to heat pumped circulating water. For storage, I live in farm country, so it's cheap to buy used IBC totes around here. These are those big white plastic containers with the metal cage around them. They hold between 270 and 330 gallons. That can store 40kWh going from 100 to 150 F. It would be pretty easy to get one of those and insulate it. The only hard part is pumping this stuff to the house without freezing and expelling the heat in the house. My furnace has a condenser coil for central air that I don't use. I might pump water through that and run the blower. Or I could get some junkyard radiators and box fans to start with. Anyways, that's getting way ahead of myself. The storage wouldn't be much different than the solar shed from builditsolar.com.

So that's my crazy idea.

Rea, was there anything new in that post? As it is, it looks like you quotes the entire first post. If you have anything to add, it should be outside of the quote.

My thoughts for heliostat was for melting snow on shaded porch & sunlight for my grow room. I see your doing a CNC equivalent of linear actuator [weather-proof]. I wonder if outside exposure would bog it down, gum up threds or snow pack gears? Most stuff online is dated. I had bought a Sunflower Heliostat, but haven't got it to work. Their website isnt any help.

So I kinda never updated, but after many iterations, I finally managed to get it working quite well. It survived the entire winter outside including multiple blizzards until a month or so ago when a huge wind storm took it down. In hindsight, the parts that broke were obviously underbuilt and much too thin. Unfortunately I moved on to another project, so I haven't gotten back to it yet, but I probably will eventually. However all the gearing and stuff never broke, it was just the mounting brackets.

This prototype uses an arduino uno, and a custom built shield. It uses standard 3d printer nema 17 stepper motors, and stepstick drivers. All the printed parts are made out of PLA plus, which seems much stronger and more heat resistant than standard PLA. The mirrors are $8 walmart mirrors, and the main structural tubes are just 1.5in PVC pipe. There are also standard jellybean parts like bolts and screws and switches and 608 bearings and stuff. I estimate the cost at probably $80, depending on how bulk you go for the electronics.

Oh, I also used an HC-05 bluetooth module to be able to control and adjust it from my phone, which worked fantastically.

The current prototype electronics consume way too much electricity, being a prototype and all. It used something silly like 30 watt hours a day. I had plans to redesign it to run off of 1 or 2 18650s and around 5 watt hours a day. That way you could just have a little solar panel or something to keep it powered. However I just never got around to it.

I can make the source code, eagle circuit board, and fusion 360 cad model available on github if anyone wants it.

I heavily gutted and rebuilt the original solar tracker code I started with. There was a lot of obsolete stuff in it that we have better libraries for now. I got rid of extra switch based controls, and made it so it can be fully setup up and controlled over the serial interface. I also cleaned up a lot of extra steps, and got rid of the multi control part. After all, electronics are much cheaper now and it's way better to have one board per unit.

MlUVKX1.jpg

20MD916.jpg

47sqdgj.jpg

xCitgvf.jpg

idcicKY.jpg

Maybe you can be interested on my study on heliostats:

My current objective is to make an heliostat buildable using off-the-shelf products, and keep the total cost below 100$.

Needed parts:
1) a mirror with 2 degrees of freedom (horizontal an vertical)
2) a clockwork which makes 1 turn in 24 hours
3) a special joint with 3 degrees of freedom: 2 rotating, 1 sliding

Item 3 would be the only one needing handcraft (manual or 3d printed).

I already purcheased 1) for 5$ and 2) for 10$.

This very basic model would work precisely only a few days per year, then it would need manual tuning, but it's a beginning. :)

A more advanced model would use a standard solar tracker in place of the clockwork.

This one costs 70$: https://www.amazon.it/KEYESTUDIO-el...one-temperatura-programmazione/dp/B0B1NWBTS4/

This one costs 35$: https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005002751678402.html

The item 3) is all you need to turn a standard solar tracker into an heliostat.

Hey Rolphill. Would absolutly love to get these files both for the cad and the arduino. I am working on a heliostat projekt to help my application for engineering UNI, and while i want to make most of the program myself i would love to have help to fall back onto. Thank you so much!

Back