diy solar

diy solar

DIY Inverter & battery (i.e. EG4) with grid-tied solar?

whdigital

Forgive me if this is well covered elsewhere! I have been reading this excellent forum A LOT and watching many of Will’s videos and I’m not quite clear on the following:
-I am in California and am planning out a pro-installed grid-tied solar system grandfathered in under the current NEM 2.0. What I’d like to do is plan on my own DIY system for battery backup afterwards…. The panels will have micro-inverters so does that “compete“ with the inverters everyone seems to talk about i.e. the EG4, etc.? Or am I needing to look at something more expensive like the Sol-Arc stuff that can manage the tie-in to the grid.? Any other alternatives or resources I should be reading up on??

Thanks in advance… This seems like a really great community with a lot of knowledge I hope to be able to contribute to as I progress further. :)

If you are going to add batteries, then get a system you can easily and cheaply add batteries.

If you get a Sol-ark, all you have to do is source batteries and connect them to the battery terminals. You can build a bank yourself, or buy rack mount system. Sol-ark can be dumb, and monitor voltages, or it can work with many batteries with communication.

Thanks for the feedback... I just found another thread with someone discussing the Sol-ark with Enphase micro inverter panels. Am I interpreting correctly then that it does the AC Coupling "on board" and is OK with micro inverter panels then? Seems like the way to go. More expensive up-front with respect to the transfer switch and all, but easier and more economical to add storage at any time.

Back