diy solar

diy solar

DIY LiFePO4 Cost Analysis - February 2022 Edition

upnorthandpersonal

Administrator
Staff member
Disclaimer: I mention vendors below and use them as an example and as reference. This should not be considered an endorsement of said vendors!

In light of Will's recent video and some of the comments both there and on the forum, I thought it would be a good idea to do a full cost analysis of a DIY LiFePO4 battery with cells available at this moment. I'll compare the DIY build with a current off the shelf available system that is considered most 'bang for the buck' - at the time of writing the EG4 48V/100Ah rack mounted system coming in at $1500. The goal is not to make the absolute cheapest DIY version, but to make one with readily available, grade A, new cells that have been used and reviewed by many. I'm going to pretend to be in the US for this, even though in Europe we can do the same - we don't have the EG4 available at these prices. The total calculation does include things like BMS, bus bars and fuse in the DIY build so we can compare a complete system. As for shipping cost, I'll pretend the EG4 includes shipping, or that you can pick them up. The EVE cells I'm using as reference are advertised with free shipping.

Another reason for writing this is that there seems to be some confusion with a lot of people in comparing systems and doing the math. The Amp-Hour (Ah) unit still forms a great source of confusion for example. Also, it would be nice to do this calculation again in a year or so and compare the differences. In other words, at the very least it can be a historical record for comparing systems to in the future.

Let's start with leveling the playing field. The EG4 is a 5kWh battery pack. The most common and popular cells available right now are arguably the 304Ah EVE cells. So if we compare 3x the EG4 (15kWh) to 16x EVE 304 cells (15kWh) we're pretty much comparing apples to apples. At a cost of $4500 for the three EG4 systems we now have a price target to compare against.

For the cells, I'm using Docan as a reference: 304Ah EVE cells. These go for $158 per cell. As mentioned we need 16, so this brings the cost to $2528.

Of course, we need a BMS. I'm going to pick one I have experience with, and I'm not picking the cheapest one. The 200A with 2A balancing JK BMS bought from Aliexpress would set me back $185 with free shipping.

Bus bars. Since I'm lazy and didn't want to figure out where to get copper stock in the US and then drill them, I'll get them from the same place I would get the cells. Cost: $48 for 16.

I'm going to add a decent Class T fuse to the system. Personally I wouldn't use anything else, or at least, use it in combination with a breaker if you need to. Class T fuses are a bit hard to find at the moment, and expensive. I'll use the prices listed at Blue Sea. A 300A fuse will set you back around $45, and a holder will cost a additional $71. You could just use the same breaker they use in the EG4, or you can add it so you have an 'off' switch for the pack. The EG4 uses a Chint breaker, but I didn't find an equivalent from them for higher currents. Therefor, let's pick Schneider 250A 160V DC breaker instead, at a cost of $128. We don't really need both, but anyway, the breaker will add an on/off switch.

Adding this all together, we get to: $3005.

The one thing left to do is find a box to put it all into. This varies quite a lot depending on your requirements. If we pick a box like what Andy from Off Grid Garage put his first one in, something like this should do. Add another $75 for that.

That bring the total to $3080, compared to $4500 for the EG4. You can decide for yourself if it's worth it.

Thanks for pointing this out to people, i was confused to see Will quote only USA sourced prices for cells, when hardly anyone pays twice the price to get them outside of China.

He was also implying that all cells from China are grade B, used or a scam.

I just purchased 16 of the new K series 280ah cells from Docan for under $2000. They all arrived on time, in perfect condition.

He did the same type of purchase in the past thro China many times, why did he change his story?

Is he getting a bigger commission from signature solar? That is the only logical explanation.

Has Will finally sold out? I hope not.

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing this out to people, i was confused to see Will quote only USA sourced prices for cells, when hardly anyone pays twice the price to get them outside of China.

He was also implying that all cells from China are grade B, used or a scam.

I just purchased 16 of the new K series 280ah cells from Docan for under $2000. They all arrived on time, in perfect condition.

He did the same sort of the thing in the past thro Alibaba many times, why did he change his story?

Is he getting a bigger commission from signature solar? That is the only logical explanation, has Will finally sold out?

No, its more that he checked some vendors and either something went missing in translation, or something else was not made clear. Notice the 'update' part in the pinned comment below the video (yeah, that was me letting Will know). He gets some cells from a US based source shipped to him, they have a price tag. That's what he used in the video. I don't expect Will to be up to date on cell pricing all the time. Heck, even people like LithiumSolar wasn't aware of these prices (it's also in a comment below that video, I also pointed that out to him).

What happens is that some of these cell prices and sources are discussed in a bubble. That is, the amount of people on this forum compared to the amount of viewers Will has is tiny. Added to that, only a fraction of people on this forum are doing DIY batteries. It's hard to get the word out, and to keep track of everything if you're not actively keeping up to date with vendors, the good ones, the bad ones, the issues, etc. Just compare the current situation to what it was a year ago - and now imagine you stepped away for a year not being part of seeing the changes develop...

Thanks for the thoughtful analysis. It makes a down and dirty numbers comparison. I've been both ways on the subject and will continue to be unless prices swing hard one way or the other.

Would I be happy to open a box, connect the positive and negative to the inverter, and go do something besides play with a battery set? Yeah, possibly. Would I be happy to get components and spend time arranging and connecting and testing? Yeah, also possibly.

We've been off the power grid for 17 years and I really don't plan to connect, so I guess I'm in it for the long haul. But that really doesn't make a difference in perspective of a completed box vs DIY. If I lived in the lower 48 States I would be tempted by the pretty box with an on/off switch.

However, I live in Alaska where shipping isn't cheap or easy for things, especially with the UN3480/3481 label. We pay extra shipping to get from WA to AK on the front end of the deal. Then, if a completed box goes bad, that's about $250 to get it back down to Washington then more $$ to get back to where it came from. I only know the shipping problems and cost from my perspective and I'm sure other non mainland US people have even more costs and hoops to jump through. If you live in the 48 States, be happy is all I can say. Of course you are missing out on the great adventure up here!

Today however, I'm sitting here waiting for individual cells to arrive so I can build a couple of 48v packs. The $1500 saving in the opening post example, that means more to me than just $1500. Since I built the silly thing, if a cell or BMS goes bad, I should be able to repair it at minimal cost and hassle. Yes, the perspective in Will's video is perfectly fine, and I appreciate the videos he produces. But that is when viewed from a lower 48 States perspective, or if you don't have the time, skills, or desire to make a DIY pack. When you depend on your own skills to keep things running in a rural and off the beaten path location, DIY seems the better way. I'll be finding out very soon if my bold analysis holds true in the world of Lifepo4.

Of course, we need a BMS. I'm going to pick one I have experience with, and I'm not picking the cheapest one. The 200A with 2A balancing JK BMS bought from Aliexpress would set me back $185 with free shipping.
The Docan 200A BMS works great and has pre-charge built in for $140 shipped. -$45
Bus bars. Since I'm lazy and didn't want to figure out where to get copper stock in the US and then drill them, I'll get them from the same place I would get the cells. Cost: $48 for 16.
Docan send bus bars that seem perfectly adequate.
Therefor, let's pick Schneider 250A 160V DC breaker instead, at a cost of $128. We don't really need both, but anyway, the breaker will add an on/off switch.
How about this one for $22 - not 250A but fine for my 230Ah cells.

2 Pole 500V 125 Amp Isolator for Solar PV System, Thermal Magnetic Trip, DIN Rail Mount, Chtaixi.

The one thing left to do is find a box to put it all into. This varies quite a lot depending on your requirements. If we pick a box like what Andy from Off Grid Garage put his first one in, something like this should do. Add another $75 for that.

That bring the total to $3080, compared to $4500 for the EG4. You can decide for yourself if it's worth it.
I built a box from furniture grade 3/4" ply, $60ish a sheet but only used a 14" strip of it, plenty left over for 2 more lol.
Just my couple of quid.
Batteries 16x 230Ah Eve = $1823
JBD 7S-20S 200A With BT = $147
DC MCB, 2 Pole 500V,125A = $22
Din box ABS HT-5 = $16
Furniture Ply 3/4" = $60
Total = $2068

230aH x 48v = 11kWh battery around 18c/kWh

Last edited:
Yeah, as I said I'm not describing the cheapest version. You can get these cells cheaper if you're willing to wait as they're shipped from China.
For reference, @RayfromTX has his cell cost calculation for EVE cells here:

I added the bus bars and the extras just so people could see I'm also not trying to cheap out on anything or 'omit' anything.

2 Pole 500V 125 Amp Isolator for Solar PV System, Thermal Magnetic Trip, DIN Rail Mount, Chtaixi.

Would probably be fine.

Since I built the silly thing, if a cell or BMS goes bad, I should be able to repair it at minimal cost and hassle.

Same here. Also, I can add heaters into my custom insulated box and not have to figure out how to make an insulated box around a 19" rack.

Last edited:
The pre-charge came as a surprise to me, I had used my circuit breaker to try to turn on the power to the inverter and nothing happened except a click. A look at the BMS showed an over current protection event. So clued up I left the CD on and hit the on/off slider button thingy in the App.
She fired up then. I repeated a few more times just to be sure, totally repeatable behavior.
The relay is a super heavy duty device with a very small holding current. Nice piece of kit all round.

CB - lets see if the price doubles like if a youtuber linked to it :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
That is nice. Seems nicer than the Heltec that has to jump started with a 9v

There is no doubt plug and play would be nice. When I first got into this the DIY route was less than half the price. Admittedly one needs to do their homework. For example one of my batteries had the wrong end listed as positive. A good reason to have a multimeter on hand.

If the "server" type batteries came in 300 AH varieties, it would be easier to add them to existing builds. Admittedly one would need a car lift to move it at this time.

When I first got into this the DIY route was less than half the price.

You can still make an equivalent for half the price. For one, getting the cells from China directly saves some money at the expense of longer waiting times. I deliberately did not use that option for this hypothetical system, but it definitely is possible.

Excellent post & thread but I want to add my own little perspective.

Dissecting the Rack Mountables, Because they are "100AH" and as such have 100A+ BMS, and fuses/breakers etc. These are of course less costly than 200A or 300A equivalents. Of course "Quality" also comes at a cost and I believe the majority of us have no interest in going cheap on these things.

Cell sizes are also a difference here, as we all know here the DIY Gang tend to favour the larger cells, as they become available the demand swings upwards. This is an easy trend to see here for those of us having been here for a while. 2 Years ago 100AH was mainstream and 200AH was the hot ticket, then 240AH then 280AH which has holding power and now 304+ is gaining popularity. As a direct result, 100AH cell prices are falling due to lower demand and abundant supply.

The Gotcha ! Now a LOT more are producing these Rack Mountable Batteries BUT some are using 50AH cells as opposed to 100AH and simply because they are even cheaper.

16 pcs EVE 105AH LiFePO4 (LFP) 3.2V Cells Battery (Fully Matched)--Genuine Grade A $796 USD + S&H
*NOTE that shipping 16x100AH cells is cheaper, less boxes & weight = Makes a Big Difference too!

48V/280AH (16S) 176kg/388Lbs Yep, no problem rack mounting that eh ! Can we watch ? LMAO I sure as heck wouldn't try it.

Would it be awesome if someone had a stash of the older IBM-PC XT, AT Flip Top Cases, they'd just about do. hahaha

16 pcs EVE 105AH LiFePO4 (LFP) 3.2V Cells Battery (Fully Matched)--Genuine Grade A $796 USD + S&H
*NOTE that shipping 16x100AH cells is cheaper, less boxes & weight = Makes a Big Difference too!

48V/280AH (16S) 176kg/388Lbs Yep, no problem rack mounting that eh ! Can we watch ? LMAO I sure as heck wouldn't try it.

Actually 16s 48V 280Ah is about 85kg. Each cell is about 5,3kg.
And you can buy server rack case for it.
Amy already producing and delivering it.
You can even customize it for your needs.

battery_box2.jpg

Back