diy solar

diy solar

DIY LiFePO4 Solar Generator for Disaster Preparedness

zzyzx

Apprentice Neanderthal
As a new, first-time posting member, I was recently inspired by the "teardown" of the 12v 100Ah Battle Born battery by Will. Although this battery (when purchased) won't meet my goal, what is inside the case may work as part of a DIY build as it appears to be a high quality battery.

Goal
Build a pair of LiFePO4 Solar Generators, which are vehicle transportable and self-serviceable (e.g. battery cells, BMS, MPPT charge controller, solar panels, etc) via replacement spare parts that I will have on-hand or "cannibalism" of the second generator. Each generator should be around 1000Wh and either grid-tied during normal times or solar connected as I shelter in-place. A long-life charge profile will be used in such a way to keep the batteries "healthy". At this point, cost is not an issue. I want to build a redundant, high-quality and long-life power solution for times without the grid OR should I need to abandon my current shelter.

Although I have researched various items for possible use, the members on this forum have far more knowledge and experience than I do. Thus, I would appreciate any initial comments or guidance that may help me avoid going down the wrong "rabbit" hole as I begin this adventure.

1000Wh is pretty puny. Are you certain that will cover your needs? Signature link item #1 will help.

Since cost is not an issue, the Bluetti AC2200 with its 1.7kWh battery and 2kW inverter with solar charging capability may be near ideal solution.

THANKS for the response. Although I have looked at the Bluetti AC200 and many others, they are not appropriate for the goal I am trying to address.

I want to develop a "proof-of-concept" configuration that is modular, scalable, reconfigurable and repairable by me, using only the resources I have. I'm sure you can appreciate that during times of emergencies or disasters, "big box" stores, manufacturers, distributors, Amazon and product warranties have little value. During these times, self-reliance become of paramount importance.

These two solar generators will be built, using LiFePO4 cylinder cells (e.g. Headway), creating a "baseline" configuration that can easily be modified in both capacity (e.g. 1000Wh or whatever) and function, beginning with only a 12v output, but capable of 120v with an add-on inverter.

I apologize for not being clearer in my opening post.

You're trying to establish "proof of concept" for something that is essentially routine in this type of community.

Only having 12V makes something that has the potential to be incredibly useful to be nearly useless. Plan for 120V from the start to meet stated needs that 12V only would eliminate.

Decide what you want to run and for how long to size the system and select:
  1. Panels
  2. Solar charge controller
  3. Inverter with genny/grid charger function
  4. 120VAC standard 12V battery charger suitable for LFP (alternative means of charging)
  5. Batteries
  6. Fuses/breakers/wires/terminals, etc.
Done.

The concept has been proven repeatedly.

I appreciate your comments and they certainly apply to most people, but I have not seen "builds" that will assist me in what I have tried to describe to you and the rest of the "community". Initially, 120v AC output has no place in what I want to do. And, it may never be added. Neither does sizing a system or duration of power output during this "concept" phase. There is plenty of thinking "inside and outside" the box; I'm looking for input from those who question "what box?".

Since you have stated "proof of concept" for something that is essentially routine in this type of community" and The concept has been proven repeatedly, please point me in the direction of some of these "build" links so I may learn from those who have a similar definition to mine.

THANKS again for the time you spent sharing information with me. Opinions vary.

Back