diy solar

diy solar

DIY LiFePo4 without BMS unit

I am sure i will get a lot of sluff but here it goes. 3 years ago I built a camper. Added 4 CALB cells. Every thing was 12vdc. 600w of solar and Victron controller. Top balanced, set the charge 90% discharge 20% and let it go. I never hit the 20%SOC. But I would every now and then check the voltage. The pack remained balanced. I don't think I seen more then 12 amp discharge and don't remember what max charge was. Controller was 50 amp. Guess was 20-25 amps. NO BMS. Coldest night was 14f. But i had the stove vent right next to batteries with an external temp gauge. Morning coffee would heat compartment up.

I now have added a BMS because I know more and can, but with low draw and diligent monitoring it can be done. Like someone posted, there are now better things to do.
Thanks for the advice. With your camper setup, it should be possible already to cook breakfast by using an induction stove.

Thanks for the advice. With your camper setup, it should be possible already to cook breakfast by using an induction stove.
He's an exception rather than the rule. Check the fire thread to learn why its a bad idea not to have a BMS monitoring and protecting your cells.

Back