diy solar

diy solar

DIY MCI Bus Conversion

So, if there was any curiosity, I decided to re-top balance cells. Original top balance occurred in april, then the cells were discharged to 1/2 and sat (up until a few weeks ago). I originally noticed they werent rising as nicely together. i took one pack offline last week and did it (i.e. the ps picture above)with excellent results, and am doing the other one tonight. This will hopefully be the last time these battery packs need to be disassembled for maintenance.

Quick update and some fresh pics. Solar is installed, battery box is in place, and I am now in the process of cutting wood for the bench frame that will be the seating which will cover the batteries.

E93BAC84-388B-4E54-81D4-A880D9682616.jpeg
1D6DFD95-F32C-4C36-B4BE-E90677CFCD33.jpeg
1FD325C2-7727-4C57-9EC1-E20DDBD8BA18.jpeg
9A7D39E4-73C9-4929-B946-4E8ADCFD24CE.jpeg

Been a long time since i've made a post. Everything's been running solid. i was at an RV park for 3 months (sept through december). i used shore power but inverter was configured to prioritize battery/solar. stayed on batteries till they dropped to about 50% then shore power took over and fed the bus while charging the batteries. Running all my power tools (table saw, router, angle grinder), a/c, induction stove, freezer and mini fridge, i caught about $30 a month electric bill. one month was 45. i was using the power tools a lot that month.

Since then, i've been completely independent of the grid going on 2 months now. i don't run the a/c while off grid because that isnt feasible without a generator (don't have one yet). that said, fridge, freezer, stove, occasionally some power tools, and batteries mostly stay around 100%. went through a couple weeks with little to no sun, batteries got down to about 25%. at that time i had to forego cooking and my monring coffee for a couple days. it lit a fire under my ass to incorporate alternator charging.

while there were no catastrophic problems with that, the cheap chinese dc-dc converters i purchased werent worth the $30 a piece i paid. never worked how they were supposed to and didnt last. until i have the reserves to purchase quality dc-dc chargers that won't be an option. not too concerned though. Like I said, power has not been an issue. There has been some progress inside on cabinetry and the battery box cover/bench, there's still no new impressive pictures to share. Just wanted to indicate the current progress and success of the electrical system. Very thrilled it turned out so well. Anyone have news of their projects to share?

Back