diy solar

diy solar

diy off-grid regulation in Australia

What earth alarms are there for a 50V System?

That there is nothing available on the market would have been of no concern whatsoever to those writing the standard, unless they wrote it knowing that the lack of availability would make compliance impossible.

Maybe the market will eventually provide something, but since (as usual) this ridiculous requirement will probably be unique to Australia, the only options will be expensive low volume units like the one you posted from AERL.

The reality of all this is that the most dodgy and dangerous DIYers will continue unabated, while those who wish to make an attempt to comply will either do so at great expense, or pay forget about DIYing anything and pay a professional, also at great expense, or throw their hands up in despair and not bother with it at all.

And thats the way we like it in Australia. You shouldn't be trying to learn anything for yourself. You should come home from work and sit on the couch and watch cricket or home and away. We don't want people learning or doing things for themselves.

And thats the way we like it in Australia. You shouldn't be trying to learn anything for yourself. You should come home from work and sit on the couch and watch cricket or home and away. We don't want people learning or doing things for themselves.
Screw 'em. I've been learning and doing it anyway. And watching the cricket.

Seems a sad way to go, for an educated country with lots of great inventions and innovations in their history. The role of government is to do what WE want, not the other way around. If they stiffle innovation, no good will come of it.
Makes me more grateful for my own regualations that allow a home owner to do many things in their own home, some require testing/confirmation some lead to the insurance co asking for such. But at least we are no 'banned' from working on our own home, even if at our own risk.
I think this is where codes, and regulations mess up most, Risk, and assessing it.
My deck is 88 inches above the ground, and has no railing on one end. Code says it must have a railing. But the code writer does not have to clear the snow from the deck, I do. If I put the railing on that end, I will have to lift the snow over the railing all winter, 100% chance I will hurt my back or worse, 21 years of using the deck never fell off due to lack of a railing. 21 x 365 = 7885 days with zero mishaps. If they want a railing, then they can come and shovel the snow from then on, otherwise doing it my way, at my own risk.
Solar the same I guess, I read the codes, I follow good advice, use good equipment and monitor what I build, my home my risk.

My deck is 88 inches above the ground, and has no railing on one end. Code says it must have a railing. But the code writer does not have to clear the snow from the deck, I do. If I put the railing on that end, I will have to lift the snow over the railing all winter, 100% chance I will hurt my back or worse, 21 years of using the deck never fell off due to lack of a railing. 21 x 365 = 7885 days with zero mishaps. If they want a railing, then they can come and shovel the snow from then on, otherwise doing it my way, at my own risk.
I'm in no way defending the insurance company requirement, but they are not just concerned about the risk to you personally. They are also considering other parties who may come a cropper falling off the end of your deck. Insurance is also there to cover for that liability.

It's one reason why I only have licensed and insured trades perform work at our home (if I'm not doing it myself). Getting "cheapo Dave's tree lopping" over may well end up in court and losing everything if something goes wrong while they are working on your property. We have imported some of the highly litigious nature often on display in the US.

I do think it would be better if:
- regulations stipulated only what meets code and not who is required to perform the task
- that regulations, which are developed and paid for by public money, be freely available to all and not placed behind ridiculous paywalls.

That said, it's not all bad. We do have a very efficient solar PV installation industry and some of the cheapest solar PV in the world. 1 in 3 homes have a solar PV system. We do have our fair share of shonks though (they are everywhere) and so govts will always be trying to find a balance to ensure people are not unreasonably taken for a ride.

It's often cheaper and safer to get a professional to install rooftop PV here anyway.

Batteries are different. That's where a DIY 48 V system can be significantly cheaper, at least at the moment.

Back