diy solar

diy solar

diy off-grid regulation in Australia

Demlitup

Came across this. Was considering an offgrid workshop/ shed/ stables project. Seems very restrictive.
Any of you blokes or blokesses out there have any comments or advice?

I didn’t see anything too restrictive in there - what are you wanting to do that is prohibited by those standards?

It's over reach.

They focus as much on how you comply rather than whether you comply.
e.g. standard requires an electrician to install pretty much anything unless it's portable or a small 12V system and under 1kWh.

I couldn’t find that part - only thing relevant to that i saw was non qualified can only work on ELV which has been revised down to 60V DC (and i think 35V AC)

The 1kwh is the battery size where this standard starts to apply.

You can still DIY a whole house system other than the AC side (which you couldn’t legally do before this standard).

Maybe i’ve missed something - it is a lengthy document. Have others that have installed Batteries using these standards seen anything ridiculous?

I couldn’t find that part - only thing relevant to that i saw was non qualified can only work on ELV which has been revised down to 60V DC (and i think 35V AC)
Trying to keep a solar PV array under 60V while working with 48V battery system isn't exactly easy. Only takes 2 panels in series and you are over the limit requiring a licensed electrician. In the meantime one panel often isn't enough voltage for an MPPT input / charge controller in a 48V system. My array tends to operate between 50V and 70V. Last 7 days:

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 9.38.27 pm.png

In my case I did all the DC side but had a sparky install the off-grid AC output circuit board as well as install all connections to and transfer switching in the main circuit board.

I didn’t see anything too restrictive in there - what are you wanting to do that is prohibited by those standards?

From the link

"For example, two solar panels might be connected on the roof in series so the cable leading to the charge controller carries a voltage up to 90 volts. Since this voltage exceeds DVC-A, under the new standard this is no longer allowed for non-electricians."

I don’t think this standard refers to PV at all.

My understanding is that ELV for PV is still 120V DC.

I don’t think this standard refers to PV at all.

My understanding is that ELV for PV is still 120V DC.
But is it?

Therein lies the fundamental problem. Your understanding isn't the same as "here's the relevant paragraph in the current standard's document."

The standard's documents are unobtainium for DIYrs. What hope have we got to reasonably assess whether or not we are complying if the documents covering it are not made readily available for all to see?

While I could probably link to the final version of the standard, this would not be legal. However, there is no issue linking to the draft versions - so if anyone wants to have a read, see attached.

Attachments

• Draft-AS-NZS-5139-2019.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 35
But is it?

Therein lies the fundamental problem. Your understanding isn't the same as "here's the relevant paragraph in the current standard's document."

The standard's documents are unobtainium for DIYrs. What hope have we got to reasonably assess whether or not we are complying if the documents covering it are not made readily available for all to see?

I have read the document and my electrician also advised me that the ELV was specific to the BESS standards only.

I guess he could be wrong - perhaps ask your electrician.

And yes i 100% agree that it is ridiculous that legislation is not freely available, this doesn’t only affect electrical standards.

If you read the standard and can see where the ELV for PV is mentioned - please let us know. Cheers!

While I could probably link to the final version of the standard, this would not be legal. However, there is no issue linking to the draft versions - so if anyone wants to have a read, see attached.
Thanks!

That covers BESS. Unfortunately to answer some of the questions posed it may also requires access to the following documents:

AS 3731, Stationary batteries (series)
AS 62040.1.1, Uninterruptible power systems (UPS), Part 1.1: General and safety requirements for UPS used in operator access areas
AS 62040.1.2, Uninterruptible power systems (UPS), Part 1.2: General and safety requirements for UPS used in restricted access locations
AS/NZS 1170.1, Structural design actions, Part 1: Permanent, imposed and other actions AS/NZS 1170.2, Structural design actions, Part 2: Wind actions
AS 1170.4, Structural design actions, Part 4: Earthquake actions in Australia
AS/NZS 1680.1, Interior and workplace lighting, Part 1: General principles and recommendations AS/NZS 3000, Electrical installations (known as the Australian/New Zealand Wiring Rules)
AS/NZS 3008.1.1, Electrical installations — Selection of cables, Part 1.1: Cables for alternating voltages up to and including 0.6/1 kV — Typical Australian installation conditions
AS/NZS 3008.1.2, Electrical installations — Selection of cables, Part 1.2: Cables for alternating voltages up to and including 0.6/1 kV — Typical New Zealand conditions
AS/NZS 4029.1, Stationary batteries — Lead-acid, Part 1: Vented type
AS/NZS 4029.2, Stationary batteries — Lead acid, Part 2: Valve regulated type
AS/NZS 4509.1, Stand alone power systems, Part 1: Safety and installation
AS/NZS 4777.1, Grid connection of energy systems via inverters, Part 1: Installation requirements
AS/NZS 4777.2, Grid connection of energy systems via inverters, Part 2: Inverter requirements
AS/NZS 5000.1, Electric cables — Polymeric insulated, Part 1: For working voltages up to and including 0.6/1 (1.2) kV
AS/NZS 5000.2, Electric cables — Polymeric insulated, Part 2: For working voltages up to and including 450/750 V
AS/NZS 5033, Installation and safety requirements for photovoltaic (PV) arrays
AS/NZS 60898.2, Circuit-breakers for overcurrent protection for household and similar installations, Part
2: Circuit-breakers for a.c. and d.c. operation (IEC 60898 2 Ed. 1.1 (2003) MOD) AS/NZS IEC 60947.1, Low-voltage switchgear and control gear, Part 1: General rules
AS 60947.3, Low-voltage switchgear and control gear, Part 3: Switches, disconnectors, switch-disconnectors and fuse-combination units (IEC 60947 3:2015 (ED.3.2) MOD)
NZS 4219, Seismic performance of engineering systems in buildings IEC 60269-1, Low-voltage fuses, Part 1: General requirements
IEC 60269-3, Low-voltage fuses, Part 3: Supplementary requirements for uses for use by unskilled persons (fuses mainly for household or similar applications) — Examples of standardized systems of fuses A to F
IEC 60529, Degrees of protection provided by enclosures (IP Code)
IEC 60896, Stationary lead-acid batteries (series)
AS/NZS IEC 60947-2, Low-voltage switchgear and control gear, Part 2: Circuit-breakers
IEC 62109-1, Safety of power converters for use in photovoltaic power systems, Part 1: General requirements
IEC 62619, Secondary cells and batteries containing alkaline or other non-acid electrolytes — Safety requirements for secondary lithium cells and batteries, for use in industrial applications
IEC 62930, Electric cable for photovoltaic systems with a voltage rating of 1,5 kV DC
Best Practice Guide: battery storage equipment — Electrical Safety Requirements V 1.0 (2018)1)

Unfortunately to answer some of the questions posed it may also requires access to the following documents

I think the important bit is the solar PV voltage that is considered extra low voltage (ELV). That's in AS/NZS 5033, which I've attached to this post - and where ELV is still specified as 120V for DC. The standard dates from 2014 and has not been updated since, as far as I can see.

It is however currently in the making and open for comment:

Edit - well, one of the things that will be in there isn't good:

1. 35V DC and above is to be deemed hazardous and all conductor parts that can carry 35V or more will have to have earth alarms.
Source: https://koalabel.com/03-news/draft-...ements-for-photovoltaic-pv-arrays/2021/05/18/

This isn't directly related to ELV stuff, but I'm still trying to get access to the draft...

Attachments

• AS-NZS-5033-2014-Installation-and-safety-requirements-for-photovoltaic-(PV)-arrays.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
The standard dates from 2014 and has not been updated since,
There was a recent proposed update applying to solar panels. I remember reading news articles of the proposed changes and the ambiguities contained within would even regulate a 12v 100w camping panel if fixed to your shed wall.
Maybe sanity prevailed?

I operate on the standard that it's my house and I'll do what I want. Everything I've installed is non-permanent and intended to be removed at a later date (when we move to another property).

And here is the new regulation in Cali.
Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a new law on Saturday that orders state regulators to ban the sale of new gas-powered equipment using small off-road engines, a broad category that includes generators, lawn equipment and pressure washers.

Back