diy solar

diy solar

DIY Pika battery system

yeldarb

(Cross post, originally posted in DIY powerwalls but didn't get any responses there)

As shown in my profile, I have a system with 32 panels at 300W/20V feeding 4 Pika PV Link/S2501 MPPTs into a Pika X7601 Islanding Inverter.

Pika was headquartered near Portland, Maine, near where I live and I got the chance to go down and see their facility and talk to them before I went with their system. The entire system has several modes, works great and has been trouble free.

The system is currently grid-tie but I'd like to add batteries, both as outage backup and SHTF. But Pika/Generac has a proprietary system they call the REbus, which muxes data on the power connections. The Panasonic powerwalls they sell are super expensive: $2400 for the cabinet and $1700/each, min 3, total $7500 for a 9kW powerwall. The Pika system seemed like a good idea at the time but I'm locked into their system.

Is anybody out there familiar with the Pika systems? Are there any DIY or cheaper alternatives? I don't mind complex DIY projects.

8 280ah cells is about 7kwh and you could build for well under 1500. I got 8 280ah cells from Michael Caros group buy and they're great.

Thanks for your response, but the system needs to be able to "talk" to the battery so it can sync the power with the grid. If it can't do that then the panels won't charge the battery if the grid is down. I need a system that can be integrated to the inverter.

I think an automatic transfer switch would take care of that.

Back