diy solar

diy solar

DIY Portable Power Station using 2nd life LiFePO4 batteries

BroomJM

I have noticed more and more of the larger PPS units are coming out with LiFePO4 batteries, instead of NMC. Due to the increased weight many of these systems are coming with the battery in one box and the balance of the electronics in a separate box.

I was wondering if anyone has built a DIY PPS using this same concept? Perhaps two ammo cans, where one of them has only the cells/batteries and the other has the inverter, charge controller and various plug-in options. This seems like it would be a way to have more capacity and deal with the increased weight, but maybe that just isn't necessary, given what these units are really designed to do?

I guess one design concern would be if you plan to be on the move with it running. If they were only connected together with some sort of cable (cases not fixed together) it would create some concerns for power while in motion. I can see things sliding and banging around.

Some of the toolbox makers have toolboxes that stack and lock together. Maybe that sort of design would be worth looking at.

I guess one design concern would be if you plan to be on the move with it running. If they were only connected together with some sort of cable (cases not fixed together) it would create some concerns for power while in motion. I can see things sliding and banging around.

Some of the toolbox makers have toolboxes that stack and lock together. Maybe that sort of design would be worth looking at.
I currently have one small, commercial PPS and we use it during power outages for lighting, running a small fan or charging devices. We also use it on camping trips, which is where I would like more capacity from the battery and inverter.

Back