diy solar

diy solar

DIY season adjustable ground mount build

how are you keeping the pivoting beams from twisting relative to one-another? the rails aren't going to prevent twisting in the wind and I don't think the diagonal angle brace is going to be sufficient. I think you're going to find you need to add bracing at the top/bottom lengthwise tying them all together. i think panel brackets are going to loosen up pretty quickly.

If it was me I would have linked the pivoting beams from the bottom end back to support column closer to the ground. That said, those beams are very rugged. He really only has to be careful of harmonics and creating a standing wave in high wind. Which can likely be averted by stowing the panels horizontal before a big storm.

how are you keeping the pivoting beams from twisting relative to one-another? the rails aren't going to prevent twisting in the wind and I don't think the diagonal angle brace is going to be sufficient. I think you're going to find you need to add bracing at the top/bottom lengthwise tying them all together. i think panel brackets are going to loosen up pretty quickly.
Similar engineered designs from Sinclair and power peak don't have anything to prevent twisting either besides the strength of the vertical c channel. We're supposed to have high winds over the next few days so I'll keep my eye on them.

Good question, it would have depended on whether the rails are structural or not if the mounting of the rail was direct to the beam.

I do see a bracket between beam and rail which will allow some give.

The Skyrack uses a Z channel for a rail and bolted directly to the beam. The Z channel would prevent twisting. https://sinclair-designs.com/Sky-Ra...ity=1&custcol_gen_panels=4&custcol_gen_tilt=2

There are ironridge L feet between the beams and rails. You can twist the whole array a bit but the individual beams won't twist independently from the other ones. The XR100 rails are stronger than 12 gauge unistrut.

There are ironridge L feet between the beams and rails. You can twist the whole array a bit but the individual beams won't twist independently from the other ones. The XR100 rails are stronger than 12 gauge unistrut.
You need the ability to flex the array slightly for just about any tilting array is what I've found, especially the screw jack type and you have multiple screw jacks and you are tilting it yourself.

The XR100 must be structural rated, that is good.

I just found out that there's a company close to my house that makes z purlins. If their prices are good then I may purchase some for the second array and save the rails for a future project (I have lots of barn roof space). Looks like 6" z purlin is several times stronger than even XR1000 rails so I should be able to get away with only 3 vertical posts easily.

Last edited:
I just found out that there's a company close to my house that makes z purlins. If their prices are good then I may purchase some for the second array and save the rails for a future project (I have lots of barn roof space). Looks like 6' z purlin is several times stronger than even XR1000 rails so I should be able to get away with only 3 vertical posts easily.
Really?!? I didn't know that, I will be looking into these. Thx so much!

We have a decent wind storm right now (65mph gusts from the south) and I don't see any movement at all.

Also the local purlin place quoted me $9/ft plus a $225 delivery charge so I won't be going that route. It not a terrible deal compared to something like XR1000 rails but it's about double what I was hoping it would cost.

We have a decent wind storm right now (65mph gusts from the south) and I don't see any movement at all.

Also the local purlin place quoted me $9/ft plus a $225 delivery charge so I won't be going that route. It not a terrible deal compared to something like XR1000 rails but it's about double what I was hoping it would cost.
32 feet length per purlin is approximate times 4 = 128 feet
$1152 plus $225 delivery= $1377

Skyrack 2.0 fixed mount for 18 panels is $2800, you could add screws later for tilt if desired. Season adjust with screws is $3180. The Skyrack would come with all the extras like bolts, brackets and the poles of course.

Is it worth the extra $1400 to $1700 (plus freight) than building your own using those purlins? Build your own sounds like a better deal, if you have some extra time for the fabrication.

Were the purlins galvanized?

32 feet length per purlin is approximate times 4 = 128 feet
$1152 plus $225 delivery= $1377

Skyrack 2.0 fixed mount for 18 panels is $2800, you could add screws later for tilt if desired. Season adjust with screws is $3180. The Skyrack would come with all the extras like bolts, brackets and the poles of course.

Is it worth the extra $1400 to $1700 (plus freight) than building your own using those purlins? Build your own sounds like a better deal, if you have some extra time for the fabrication.

Were the purlins galvanized?
They were galvanized and included free hole punching, although it looks like they could only punch in the web and not the flanges. If trying to replicate the skyrack 2.0 you'd also need beefy C purlins for the vertical post and semi-beefy c purlins for the girters. Sinclair uses thick 0.15" 7x4 c purlins for their vertical posts. It appears that standard z purlins only go up to 12 gauge so you'd probably need 10-12" ones which won't be cheap. Sinclair's "girters" don't look as thick as the vertical posts but they are tall (10ish inches).

If I used material from Craigslist for the vertical posts and girters then I could build the purlin based design for about $500 extra per 18 panels array. If I used new purlins for everything then it probably wouldn't save much at all over the Sinclair kit and it would be a lot more work. Too bad no one on craigslist is selling extra purlins...

Last edited:
Reactions: Zwy
Do how'd it go. Are you doing any modifying or good to go?
The array barely noticed the wind. I did order a few sticks of unistrut though to reinforce it in the E-W direction since the vertical C channel is only about 5% as strong in that direction.

The array barely noticed the wind. I did order a few sticks of unistrut though to reinforce it in the E-W direction since the vertical C channel is only about 5% as strong in that direction.
Thank you for the update...that makes sense.

It seems that the ground is too wet to make any progress for awhile. Any hole I dig quickly fills up with water up to about 6" below ground level. I'm hoping that I can at least get some conduit in the ground in a couple weeks.

20221231_145214.jpg

The ground finally started to dry up so I began trenching. 50ft down, 150-175ft to go.

20230124_153842.jpg

I also attached a couple small pieces of unistrut to the post closest to the house for mounting the metal junction box. I'll put that up tomorrow if the knockout punch I ordered arrives before dark.

20230122_155119.jpg

Back