diy solar

diy solar

DIY solar battery 14kwh - EVE LF280K cells

Manu

Hello,

I'm planning to build a 16s LiFePo4 battery (14kwh) for my home solar setup: Victron MultiPlus-II 48-3000 VA 35-32 GX + Victron SmartSolar MPPT 150/70 + 10 solar panels (355Wc).

I was previously looking for LTO cells but my mind switched to the beauty of the LF280K cells and its 6000 promised cycles.

I fond 2 BMS for this configuration:
- JBD BMS
- Daly

What do you think about these cells and listed BMS?

I am using the exact same cells and JBD Bms. I'm still putting things together for actual commissioning, but so far both have had no issues with my testing.

I'm already working on ordering for my second build, so I spoke with JBD In china about a new 200A BMS with heating functions. I don't know much about how it works, but it's supposed to be good according to JBD.

If you're going to order from China, you might send @Jenny Wu at Docan a message to see if she can get the newer BMS.

Hi @Manu

I currently have a Victron based system with BYD B-Box battery and I'm 'upgrading' to a similar 16s LiFePo4 as yourself...

Are you planning to configure the Victron to use the Battery as dumb? or integrate the Victron with your BMS to control charge/discharge rates, etc?

I am currently waiting for my pack + parts to arrive, but I chose a Seplos BMS (16S 150A with CAN+LCD+USB) - mostly because the Seplos with CANBUS interface can emulate Pylontech batteries and should integrate nicely with Victron.

With the Daly/JBD BMS, the easiest option is propably to configure the Victron to treat the battery as a dumb lithium battery. There is also the option of installing a custom serial driver in the Venus/GX device to speak to the Daly/JBD BMS. link

I am using the exact same cells and JBD Bms. I'm still putting things together for actual commissioning, but so far both have had no issues with my testing.

I'm already working on ordering for my second build, so I spoke with JBD In china about a new 200A BMS with heating functions. I don't know much about how it works, but it's supposed to be good according to JBD.

If you're going to order from China, you might send @Jenny Wu at Docan a message to see if she can get the newer BMS.
Nice to hear! I already sent an email to Jenny Wu to check the stock.

Nice to hear! I already sent an email to Jenny Wu to check the stock.
Please let me know the latest prices plus shipping. I'm driving back to California next week and will be purchasing the same batteries.

Hi @Manu

I currently have a Victron based system with BYD B-Box battery and I'm 'upgrading' to a similar 16s LiFePo4 as yourself...

Are you planning to configure the Victron to use the Battery as dumb? or integrate the Victron with your BMS to control charge/discharge rates, etc?

I am currently waiting for my pack + parts to arrive, but I chose a Seplos BMS (16S 150A with CAN+LCD+USB) - mostly because the Seplos with CANBUS interface can emulate Pylontech batteries and should integrate nicely with Victron.

With the Daly/JBD BMS, the easiest option is propably to configure the Victron to treat the battery as a dumb lithium battery. There is also the option of installing a custom serial driver in the Venus/GX device to speak to the Daly/JBD BMS. link
I was planning to customize the Victron appliances to use the recommended LiFePo4 setting of the cells datasheet and let the BMS do the balance work.

But I'll take a closer look at your Seplos BMS and JBD driver !!!

I was planning to customize the Victron appliances to use the recommended LiFePo4 setting of the cells datasheet and let the BMS do the balance work.

But I'll take a closer look at your Seplos BMS and JBD driver !!!

this thread is a great resource for choosing LiFePo4 settings.

A benefit for me of BMS-Inverter integration (CANBUS/Serial) is that it should be able to manage charging current based on cold conditions, etc... my current BYD battery lives in an uninsulated attic that can get down to 5 degrees C at times. The current victron + BYD manages this by limiting charging/discharging current until the battery temperature increases.

I am hoping that the Seplos with CAN connection to the Victron will work in a similar way... I have not tested this myself yet however.

Please let me know the latest prices plus shipping. I'm driving back to California next week and will be purchasing the same batteries.
I got a quote last week from Jenny Wu for 16 cells to rural Washington state. 16* 110+412.5 shipping + 5%paypal fee =2281.12
I have a quote for 32 also, which just improved shipping cost basis.

I am new to the forum, and I am looking to build a similar 16s system, and I got this quote last night from Jenny Wu at Docan for shipping to the UK-For 16 cells EVE LF280K, the total is 110*16+451.4USD( by sea DDP)=2211.4USD, add Alibaba transaction fee.
There would be UK duty and VAT on top of this, so I am not sure of the exact cost all in, but I would guess over £2000 GBP to a port, where I would have to pick it up.

A benefit for me of BMS-Inverter integration (CANBUS/Serial) is that it should be able to manage charging current based on cold conditions, etc... my current BYD battery lives in an uninsulated attic that can get down to 5 degrees C at times. The current victron + BYD manages this by limiting charging/discharging current until the battery temperature increases.

I am hoping that the Seplos with CAN connection to the Victron will work in a similar way... I have not tested this myself yet however.

I read a lot of good information about the links you provided.

The driver for JBD seems working fine with Victron : https://github.com/Louisvdw/dbus-serialbattery/wiki/Features

So does the Seplos BMS : https://community.victronenergy.com...-100ah-energy-storage-battery-compatibil.html

I am trying to source the Eve LF280K with the new terminals that improve high amperage connections. I see only one person in the DIY Solar threads that recieved some with shipping dammage from the factory. I've checked with three differnt Amy's and they have the old style in stock. Trying to contact the factory hasn't panned out so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Last quote for the original style that I recieved yesterday was up 30% and they said to expect higher prices yet.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20220301-015946_Google.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220301-015946_Google.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 23
This sounds like it might have been where your last quote came from (based on the "expect higher prices" comment), but in case it wasn't:

Did you received the Seplos BMS ? I think it make a lot of sense to use it with Victron devices, I just miss the bluetooth feature and hope a passif BMS is enough for this setup.

Where did you ordered it and how much was it ?

Did you received the Seplos BMS ? I think it make a lot of sense to use it with Victron devices, I just miss the bluetooth feature and hope a passif BMS is enough for this setup.

Where did you ordered it and how much was it ?
seplos website, 215 for the 200 amp 48v model

I order from Ali Express - "Minerals Official Store"
Ordered 17 Feb. Received 1 March to the EU
16S LifePo4 150A BMS + Data Cable + Display - EUR €197.07 delivered (approx USD $220).
I did get a customs claim with this - but for only about €5.

the package arrived fine & looks in good condition - but it will be mid April before my cells arrive so I can't give any feedback on functionality yet.

My intention is to use the Seplos CAN (Pylontech) -> Victron GX CAN. This should manage charge/discharge rates, incorporating cold temperature charge/discharge limits, etc. My battery will be in an attic that definitely gets below allowed charge/discharge temperatures at times... not often enough to warrant heating/moving the batteries... but BMS temp control is important to me and this pushes me towards the CAN approach.

Hello,

I'm planning to build a 16s LiFePo4 battery (14kwh) for my home solar setup: Victron MultiPlus-II 48-3000 VA 35-32 GX + Victron SmartSolar MPPT 150/70 + 10 solar panels (355Wc).

I was previously looking for LTO cells but my mind switched to the beauty of the LF280K cells and its 6000 promised cycles.
I also built a recent new build with EVE LF280K cells. Although in my case whilst using 16 cells I went the 4s 4p route with 4 x 12v batteries in my bank.
Also using the Victron multiplus II.

Your link above to the LF280K cells appeared to show on my android device the lesser cycling LF280 cells for some reason! Hopefully your supplier is legitimate and you don't get sold the lower cycling cells.

Here's the EVE link and scroll down to see the comparison between the two different models LF280 and the LF280K

Back