diy solar

diy solar

DIY Solar forum dodging geo-political context?

Daniel972

Israeli solar electric from scratch.
Hi. I am in a process of research, and planning for parts to my first simple DIY Off grid Solar work shed here in Israel.

The main shopping site for DIY solar in Israel offers equipment that is
A: Chinese. ( I want from any other location )
B: Out-dated and / or Untested (also from China, and one very unknown brand only.)

DIY Solar Forum as it is set up now is very good if you are in shipping proximity of the American continents, and possibly Australia.

However: If you happen to be European or African, things get way harder.
Israel has got a few Companies that make and market their own specialized "black box" Solar equipment, but it's not really targeted towards Off-grid, DIY, or home stead building.
I do plan to get in touch with Solar Pioneers, that I've read about here in Israel, but:

Is there any chance of seing a split DIY solar forum, that take geo-political considerations seriously when going to buy your D I Y Off- Grid Solar set up?

Last edited:
Watts don't care what continent you're on. Most discussions here apply everywhere. Issues sourcing equipment, especially PV, isn't unique to your region. It took me weeks to find a good local source for panels and I live in Colorado. It's like these retailers don't want to make themselves available to anyone but commercial installers.

I don't know if 100% of the materials in my panels are made in USA. They are assembled here.

99,9% of all electrics come out of china.
eu or us may slap their label on it, or assemble it, but bottom line it will come out of china

same goes for 99,9% of medication btw, good luck geo-poltical contexting that

I think that trying to avoid any Chinese equipment will be very difficult, no matter where you are in the world. Victron equipment (which is also very good) used to be all manufactured in the Netherlands, but I'm not certain that is still the case. In the U.S., I think most PV panels now come from S.E. Asia, but I just read that they are largely manufactured in China and laundered through S.E. Asia countries to get around U.S. tariffs.

Half my Victron equipment was manufactured in India. Not great, I would rather it be manufactured in The Netherlands or in the US, but at least it isn't made in China. I've sent enough of my money to China already.

Reality is that the Chinese are willing to manufacture stuff that most other countries aren't willing to or make it so expensive to do so that it doesn't make economic sense.

I don't think @Daniel972 said, but if he is planning to go with LFP batteries, you pretty much don't have any choice but Chinese. Even if a battery is assembled somewhere else, the cells will be from China.

eu or us may slap their label on it, or assemble it, but bottom line it will come out of china

Not true. Solar Edge f ex is Israeli but sadly proprietary. Sunpower is from Singapore, Rich Solar I believe is from India. I also believe there is Australian tech out there. For my Solar shed I can settle for cheap AGM batteries. I am also able to solder tohether my own MPPT solar charger if I have to, possibly also a Lead acid balancing system, however, this will not change any world order.

To change things on a global level we need to try and find the "good" stuff locally. We need to use our personal currency where it can make a difference. Invest in initiatives like the brittish Faradion, etc. DIY solar forum can help to make this work for example by splitting itself into geopolitical zones. Supportimg Chinese Autocracy Tech is quickly leading us towards Global extinction event #6

Half my Victron equipment was manufactured in India. Not great, I would rather it be manufactured in The Netherlands or in the US, but at least it isn't made in China. I've sent enough of my money to China already.

Reality is that the Chinese are willing to manufacture stuff that most other countries aren't willing to or make it so expensive to do so that it doesn't make economic sense.
Victron is a highly respected brand. Thanks for sharing this. It's news for me! India is a democracy. Sadly, many European countries seemingly have forgotten how to make businesses grow exponentially, and that is what's needed to create true change.

Last edited:

I guess if you are lumping Taiwan into China. TSMC is the largest semi manufacturer in the world.

I don't think @Daniel972 said, but if he is planning to go with LFP batteries, you pretty much don't have any choice but Chinese. Even if a battery is assembled somewhere else, the cells will be from China.
I wonder If one can glue together LFP cells in your back yard. Batteries aren't that Hi-tech still.

I don't you'll find much interest here.
Most people here seem mainly interested in the technical aspects of making it work.
I don't sense much interest in the broader geo-political implications but your point is well taken.

I don't you'll find much interest here.
Most people here seem mainly interested in the technical aspects of making it work.
I don't sense much interest in the broader geo-political implications but your point is well taken.
To me, finding relevant long lasting electric DIY friendly equipment that works together without collapsing world economy and bringing our species to the brink of extinction is a highly technical aspect.

Watts don't care what continent you're on. Most discussions here apply everywhere. Issues sourcing equipment, especially PV, isn't unique to your region. It took me weeks to find a good local source for panels and I live in Colorado. It's like these retailers don't want to make themselves available to anyone but commercial installers.

I don't know if 100% of the materials in my panels are made in USA. They are assembled here.
Actually Watts _Do_ care where you are:
1000px-World_Map_of_Mains_Voltages_and_Frequencies%2C_Detailed.svg.png

In the USA / Canada / Mexico / North Latin America, you need a 120V / 60Hz inverter. Elsewhere that can be 230V /50Hz.(or 60 Hz)

Actually Watts _Do_ care where you are:
1000px-World_Map_of_Mains_Voltages_and_Frequencies%2C_Detailed.svg.png

In the USA / Canada / Mexico / North Latin America, you need a 120V / 60Hz inverter. Elsewhere that can be 230V /50Hz.(or 60 Hz)
I may be missing your point, but the math says WATTs don't care. Generally, the same load running at 115V drawing N amps will draw N/2 amps on 230V. I.e., the watts are the same either at 115V or 230V. Or did you mean something else?

Hi. I am in a process of research, and planning for parts to my first simple DIY Off grid Solar work shed here in Israel.

The main shopping site for DIY solar in Israel offers equipment that is
A: Chinese. ( I want from any other location )
B: Out-dated and / or Untested (also from China, and one very unknown brand only.)

A premium product, with presence in Israel.

I think that trying to avoid any Chinese equipment will be very difficult, no matter where you are in the world. Victron equipment (which is also very good) used to be all manufactured in the Netherlands, but I'm not certain that is still the case. In the U.S., I think most PV panels now come from S.E. Asia, but I just read that they are largely manufactured in China and laundered through S.E. Asia countries to get around U.S. tariffs.
its not, its india now, however components are still chinese

I may be missing your point, but the math says WATTs don't care. Generally, the same load running at 115V drawing N amps will draw N/2 amps on 230V. I.e., the watts are the same either at 115V or 230V. Or did you mean something else?
This was in reply to another members reaction to my post. I did not interpret his "All watts are equal" as a mathematical thesis, or even a physics theory, because we are designing highly specialized systems, all according to our specific whereabouts.

Last edited:
I guess this seems to be a mostly political / philosophical issue. You certainly have a right to have strong feelings about such things.

I'm not sure this is the forum for such a discussion (and certainly not this subforum), and as @45North said, I don't think most of us are interested.

As for me, I'm going to unsubscribe to this thread and ignore it.

Back