diy solar

diy solar

DIY solar generator questions

Mike Jordan

Solar Enthusiast
I want to build a DIY solar power station in an ammo can, or tool box. I have a DIY 4s10p Li-ion 18650 pack that I would like to use. Is there a small SCC that would work with the higher voltage of 4s Li-ion?

Last edited:
From what I have read, many people working with Li-ion go with 7S just to make is simpler to find voltage compatible equipment. Is this for a DC only system or is 120VAC in your plans (charging or inverter)? Problem with that for your batteries is that anything smaller than 2000W is going to be 12VDC and your battery pack would be way too small for a 2000W inverter.

I have a 7s2p set of 60A LiNMC cells (25V, 120AH) that fit in a 40mm Grenade Ammo can (I certainly hope that is not a bad omen). I was originally planning on using them in a Van RV conversion, but lost my nerve so I got an 8S set of 280AH LiFePO4 cells for the van instead.

I have been kicking around the idea of using them with a 2 kWh All-in-one (solar, shore power inverter/charger) for a DIY power source also. Energy density of these cells is really high.

battery.jpg

I did find this 600W 24V inverter. I have read positive comments about XYZ-INVT products here on the forum. Perhaps this might be of interest to you? The 600W unit would draw ~ 26A to generate 600W output. Not an all-in-one so you are still going to need some way to charge the batteries.

-Edit-

The low voltage disconnect at 19.5V is too low for lithium batteries in my opinion, so that is a concern. Surge capability is also nil so don't expect to run a motor or microwave oven from one. For small fans, lights, charging a laptop/phone one of these would do the job.

Last edited:
Yep, but I already have a couple of 4s built for another purpose. I thought I would give them double duty

Back