diy solar

diy solar

DIY solar generator trailer

Hobbydarren

My attempt at a portable high capacity solar generator trailer.

66EA2A44-DDF5-4A7E-AE0E-59B5E5CFF81C.jpeg
The panels slide in under one another for travel.

8492B66D-CBFC-42CF-862B-E948B3D19197.jpeg

Internals are currently Six lead acid 100AH batteries, 2 x Renogy Rover 60 amp charge controllers and a Gopower IC 3000 inverter charger. I went with the go power unit as it allows me to run my AC on a smaller generator. It was the only one I could find that would allow a 1200 watt generator to run my AC by making up the remainder from battery power.

CE16F189-5047-46AE-AB30-9C3069A5C3ED.jpeg
I now have switches to choose solar inputs, either from onboard solar or two sets of two 445 watt bifacial panels. I just plug these panels in when parked on my hunting property. Still have to mount them somehow. As well I have heated lithium batteries from Alberta Lithium that I will be installing shortly. I use my camp late during the colder months of hunting season here in Alberta so hoping these heated batteries will work as advertised. Will try to post after revisions.

Looks good. In the first picture is that showing the two outer panels slid out as far as they go? If so then you may have shading issues. Unless the trailer is aiming perfectly straight at the sun, the center panel will likely cause a shadow on one of the two slide-out panels which will reduce your solar, possibly considerably. You should try to get the two slide-out panels to move out far enough to avoid any shadow from the center panel.

Looks good. In the first picture is that showing the two outer panels slid out as far as they go? If so then you may have shading issues. Unless the trailer is aiming perfectly straight at the sun, the center panel will likely cause a shadow on one of the two slide-out panels which will reduce your solar, possibly considerably. You should try to get the two slide-out panels to move out far enough to avoid any shadow from the center panel.
They do go out a bit further though most of the time I won’t be using those 300 watt panels. I’ll be hooked up to four 455 watt panels mounted remotely. Those only get used when building deer blinds and such in remote locations. The rest of the time I will be using the other panels and parked beside my rv.

was that an old generator trailer/housing repurposed or all from scratch? looks very professional btw!

Used to be a light plant or light tower. Thinking of putting the tower back on with a small wind turbine on top. Actually thinking of selling the whole thing and staying over in an enclosed trailer. Any interest. Go Power IC 3000 hybrid inverter charger, Renogy 60 amp charge controller, 6 125 AH sealed lead acid batteries and 3 300 watt panels, on damaged but still puts out full power. Still have the tower, could discuss including six brand new unused heated lithium batteries for the right price but that’s be pretty steep, lol.

Back