diy solar

diy solar

DIY spot welder

Wow. Thank you so much and I will need this...when I get a new solenoid. I should have tested it first especially with such a banged up box. I put 12 Volts to it and no click. I further tested for continuity at the load terminals and found none. So returning this one to Amazon and waiting for a replacement.

Newbie question coming. Does the solenoid have to be grounded for this application? It appears that you have attached the grounding plate to the neutral side of the battery.

I was wondering why he used only one screw terminal. Thought circuit was completed to one of the heavy terminals.
No, that couldn't be, both end up at +12V.
Could well be the coil is from one screw terminal to bracket.

"returning"
If not yet returned, try, try again!

I was perplexed as well.
One secondary wire is all the old Fords used to engage the starter. (what that solenoid is made for) The solenoids were grounded through the mounting ears on the fender to complete the circuit. His solenoid is bolted to the negative terminal.

Would another 4s LiIon pack be enough to energize the welder?
Enough?
Sure ...

I suggest calculating out length of cable as a resistor, engineer the current you want.
Have you seen what some people have managed to do shorting battery packs (even through the fuse)?

It appears this solenoid version uses a common negative, which saves wire. So to test the relay action you need to attach both switch wires to the solenoid, but in production you can use the main ground for the pen for the switch negative. Ie where the solenoid attaches to the battery negative.

You can replace the Lead Acid battery with 4 LifePo4 or Lion cells, probably works as well or even better!
Definitely much smaller and lighter.
I used an old AGM battery only to give it a use in life!

Wow. Thank you so much and I will need this...when I get a new solenoid. I should have tested it first especially with such a banged up box. I put 12 Volts to it and no click. I further tested for continuity at the load terminals and found none. So returning this one to Amazon and waiting for a replacement.

Newbie question coming. Does the solenoid have to be grounded for this application? It appears that you have attached the grounding plate to the neutral side of the battery.
I re-tested the solenoid after connecting the grounding plate and it is good. So now on to making the connections for the foot switch. It is becoming clearer with your coaching.

I got everything connected. The solenoid clicks once when I press the pedal without the pens engaged but when I try to weld something the solenoid goes into rapid fire. I get just a very small spark from one of the pens but nothing that would melt a strip. The battery is good and when I test the pens I get 14.2 volts. Ideas??

I got everything connected. The solenoid clicks once when I press the pedal without the pens engaged but when I try to weld something the solenoid goes into rapid fire. I get just a very small spark from one of the pens but nothing that would melt a strip. The battery is good and when I test the pens I get 14.2 volts. Ideas??
Check your wiring, sounds like maybe a short somewhere.
Either that or your battery voltage is dropping so much as to not keep the relay closed and the battery is end of life.

Checked wiring and voltage. In addition to the bench battery I cabled to my truck battery which is new. Could it be that my 6 Ga welding cable cannot carry enough amps to melt the strip I am testing?

Rapid fire means relay is dropping out. Make sure positive and negative for coil are routed all the way to battery.
If still dropping out, likely battery doesn't deliver enough to do spotwelding. But you could try dry cell or power supply just for coil.
Is it a 12V, not 24V coil?
Is battery well charged?

Thar she blows! Just needed a better battery. I connected a BMW 3S I got from Battery Hookup and wowzee. Thanks to all who have contributed to my education on this project. That’s what makes this a terrific forum. Help rather than scorn. Many hand claps and Bravo!
Now to see if I can make up a 12Volt 18650 pact to use with the welder, and a gantry holder for the pen.

Congratulations, please post some pics of your results ....
BarkingSpider is the da man,

That timer module that is mentioned in the video is good to have. David P used one like that in his build too.
I have all the stuff for the build except nickel, dunno if I should get 10 mm or 15 mm.

Wow, what exciting things you guys are doing. I just recently went to the school of welders, since childhood I wanted to teach this profession. I hope that in a few years I will also do this...I wanted to ask you when you were studying to be a welder, did your parents scold you for not choosing that direction? It's just that my parents always wanted me to go to college in economics or some other nonsense. And I chose the profession of a welder, so they were agitated. And how did your parents react when you told them about what you want to become? Maybe, of course, I'm talking a little off-topic, but I'm interested to hear your opinion.

Back