diy solar

diy solar

DIY Transfer switch

pda1

It like to make or maybe purchase a transfer switch so I can, obviously, manually quickly switch between solar (inverter) and grid and not have to shut down the appliance or device that's being used. I figure if I flip the switch fast enough there wont be any loss of power to the device.

For the moment I don't want to purchase the MOES switch but you can try and talk me out of it. Too many gadgets.

Thanks

Peter

It like to make or maybe purchase a transfer switch so I can, obviously, manually quickly switch between solar (inverter) and grid and not have to shut down the appliance or device that's being used. I figure if I flip the switch fast enough there wont be any loss of power to the device.

I don't care how much meth or crack you consume, you won't be able to do it fast enough.

How many amps? What voltage? Single or split phase?

I think you want and automatic contactor relay and possibly modify to have manual control.

I think you want and automatic contactor relay and possibly modify to have manual control.
Amps- no more than 10
Voltage- 120vac
Phase- single

Thought of using a 3-way wall switch (as used in a house)

Ok....please point me in the direction of one of those devices.

Ok....please point me in the direction of one of those devices.
https://www.progressivedyn.com/specialty/5300-series-automatic-transfer-switch/

PD53-100-Lc_outlined_med-res-768x804.jpg

I don't care how much meth or crack you consume, you won't be able to do it fast enough.

This one is fast enough, because turning one breaker on trips the other off:

Thought of using a 3-way wall switch (as used in a house)

Not sufficient isolation to be safe for either your inverter or the lineman.

A UL listed transfer switch or interlocked breaker has some testing behind it.

I have several Progressive 240/120v @ 50a ATSs - that do the daily switch to off-grid solar inverter and back to grid when the battery runs down.
These are mechanical relays and not fast enough for electronics... so I use several UPSs for computers, K-Cup (to keep its clock setting), TVs/Tivo etc

Last edited:
That's not true. I do it everyday using a Reliance Pro Tran manual transfer switch. Have never had an issue with my fridge, router, TV, computers etc. The only item that restart on a few occasions is a TV set top box.

Reliance Transfe Switch

Last edited:
Have no experience with it so cannot speak to it. What I would say though, is that the Xantrex would switch all circuits at once as opposed to the Pro Tran, where you can switch each circuit individually. This is to me the better option as it allows you to better manage your loads so as not to over your inverter.

Back