diy solar

diy solar

DIY vs solar contractor?

8-ball

so I am almost ready to put my system together I have ordered over $14k worth of equipment for my place and my plan is to put it all together in the next 1-2 weeks. Then once it’s all done I am going to have an electrician friend come and basically make sure I wired everything correctly, maybe add a transfer switch in case I ever hook to grid. Also my brother is very familiar with solar and has put together systems before and he is going to fly in from Florida and help me.

However I bought a few panels from this company a while back for a different project and they didn’t have any issues selling them to me then. Now I email and request a quote for 8awg PV wire and they will not sell to me because they say solar has to be installed by a certified solar installer. What the hell? Wouldn’t that totally defeat the whole DIY forum. I know we have to get things permitted and everything but I live in the country and basically have no neighbors so I’m not really worried about permits plus I will be completely off grid. As it is now I’m off grid and run a generator for power. The cabin was wired by an electrician so I am not worried there but what’s the deal.
DA96343A-08F7-4778-83F3-667FF50BB8AD.jpeg

Attachments

• 2CFE1116-1F8A-480E-B0EC-DD753330126F.jpeg
    2CFE1116-1F8A-480E-B0EC-DD753330126F.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 10
I would not answer their question. I would reply politely communicating that you have no interest in their referral program, and would just like the quote you requested.

See what they say. If they want to try and shove their referral program down your throat, move on to another supplier.

Just my cynnical 2cents.

I actually just ignored them all together and ordered with another company. But I was just curious isn’t solar able to be done DIY as long as you get permits?
That depends on your local authority and your build. Take Will for instance, he is not violating code and does not have to get the systems he's building permitted. It comes down to whether youre building "permanent structures" and whether or not youre grid-tying, among other things. I'm not an expert on the matter.

Last edited:
I recently pulled copies of the NEC 2020 article 690 from my local library and 690.4 General Requirements (C) "Qualified Personnel" must perform all installation and wiring. The definition is in Article 100, which requires the individual to have passed some type of safety certification.
...only stating what I read.

I just completed everything myself recently. It may be different for every state/ town but I am willing to answer any questions.

very strange,
I bought about $2700 of ironridge racking from their store near Dallas about 3 weeks ago for my DIY ground mounts. not a question asked, very helpful
maybe all the quotes go off to bureaucratic hell corporate pukes

I recently pulled copies of the NEC 2020 article 690 from my local library and 690.4 General Requirements (C) "Qualified Personnel" must perform all installation and wiring. The definition is in Article 100, which requires the individual to have passed some type of safety certification.
...only stating what I read.
I came across this issue when I was building my system but I also read that they use the OSHA definition of Qualified Person - "Qualified means one who, by possession of a recognized degree, certificate, or professional standing, or who by extensive knowledge, training, and experience, has successfully demonstrated his ability to solve or resolve problems relating to the subject matter, the work, or the project." That's a pretty loose definition that can apply to all kinds of situations.

In my area you do not have to certification but as Rennit stated, if you do the research and know what you're doing it's okay. They also require all the sizing and specs up front before issuing a permit. Then they check if it was followed correctly and tested by their electrical inspector.

That PV wire is dangerous stuff. I don’t blame them for not wanting to sell it to some DIY hack ?.

I would guess they are trying to sell your job to someone for a referral fee or to market direct to the installers by getting their contact info from you.

There are MANY of us here who have DIY’ed both permitted and non permitted installs. As a rank amateur I have built stuff for myself to code and passed inspection from some less than friendly AHJ’s.

Good choice to ignore them and take your business elsewhere IMHO.

very strange,
I bought about $2700 of ironridge racking from their store near Dallas about 3 weeks ago for my DIY ground mounts. not a question asked, very helpful
maybe all the quotes go off to bureaucratic hell corporate pukes
Yes it seems like it depends on what your ordering. Wire is a no but they will sell you inverters and panels and racking and all kinds of other stuff. I am in California which makes it worse I know. I have a love hate relationship with this state. Originally from TN.

Yes it seems like it depends on what your ordering. Wire is a no but they will sell you inverters and panels and racking and all kinds of other stuff. I am in California which makes it worse I know. I have a love hate relationship with this state. Originally from TN.
I was in California once and ordered chili on my hot dog. The waiter asked if I had a permit for producing methane gas.

That is just an issue with CED. They are technically trade only. My Graybar was a little easier to work with when I explained I was buying everything for the electrician to save some time and money.

I live in a free country, and can do what I like on my woman's land.
Obviously I don't live in the western nanny states.
obviously as your name suggest you do not live in Britain either, what free country do you live in? is there even such a thing as a free country?

obviously as your name suggest you do not live in Britain either, what free country do you live in? is there even such a thing as a free country?
Almost all of Asia is free from such oppression, I'm in Thailand at the moment.
Until 2 months back I was using grid tie for over 2 years and winding my meter backwards in the day, meter reader didn't care.
Now I've moved to off grid.

Back