diy solar

diy solar

DIY VS Traditional (8K versus 30K)

NotJohnWick

We pay every 2 months for electricity $250.00 to $300.00. Summers here in (Anaheim) Southern California the cost with AC and a large pool can go up from $400.00 to $500.00. I looked into solar a while back and couldn't save me much. One guy tried to sell me a system for $30,000, crazy. I can do one for less that $5,000, I would have to hire an electrician. So maybe $2,000 to $3,000 more. The house is a one story house about 1,500 square feet with standard roof tiles. The house was built in the 1950's, roof still good. Anyone with experience have a better idea, the best route overall weighing DIY versus conventional Solar company?

if your doing DIY, the first thing you need to do is meticulously plan out all of your expenses. Total them all up... then take that number, and multiply it by 2.3. That is the minimum your project will actually cost lol

I didn't plan very well (as my wife will be happy to explain!) BUT I did keep records - 3 yrs and counting. After US tax breaks, my 95% DIY off-grid system (including DIY 18650 battery bank sized for 80% DOD, conduit, permits, UL/ETL components, ATSs, and so on) cost $2.64/kw of PV. After losses at 20% (mostly inverter) I get 1.165kwh/year of useable power per kw of PV.

Its impossible to make estimates in a couple of sentences with no specifics but the numbers I'm listing are based on my spreadsheet of expenses and actual power produced. Some key things that affected these numbers are
1) 10-15%? went for higher cost (ETL/UL) components
2) 6% went toward the required electrician per the city for phase one - I doubled things after that on my own 100% DIY.
3) 3% was wasted in 'wrong purchases'.
4) No 'good friends/sources' for discounted/free stuff - all purchased straight-up on eBay, Amazon, Solar suppliers - like IronRidge rails on the roof.
5) Took significant personal time - maybe 30weeks @ 40hrs a week spread over 3 years for all the DIY work - most of that was in the battery build.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mia
Back