diy solar

diy solar

DIY walkable solar

I have a large driveway, that would offer a LOT of space for panels if they could be driven on, although I can see a lot of technical hurdles with this!
Technical hurdles you say:

Don't be stupid...

A roof (where you can do stuff under the solar, whether it is a house or shade structure) or ground mount (if you have room) makes a lot more sense to me when compared to solar on the ground where you do stuff (drive, park, foot prints, snow, leaf piles) on top of and blocking/shading the panels.

A roof (where you can do stuff under the solar, whether it is a house or shade structure) or ground mount (if you have room) makes a lot more sense to me when compared to solar on the ground where you do stuff (drive, park, foot prints, snow, leaf piles) on top of and blocking/shading the panels.
I'm running out of room. I'll take whatever I can get. If I don't have to remove the trees that give me my privacy.

A great way to have shit performance and life is to destroy a solar cell's ability to radiate 80% of the solar energy converted to heat vs. the 20% converted to juice.

A well ventilated panel in full sun on a mild 75°F day is going to have a cell temperature in the ~115°F range. Stick them on a surface that is hot is a great way to make them REALLY hot.

This is a significant reason why flexible panels don't last long - they're always stuck to something hot.

A great way to have shit performance and life is to destroy a solar cell's ability to radiate 80% of the solar energy converted to heat vs. the 20% converted to juice.

A well ventilated panel in full sun on a mild 75°F day is going to have a cell temperature in the ~115°F range. Stick them on a surface that is hot is a great way to make them REALLY hot.
The trick is to use the driveways hydronic snow melting system in reverse, and capture the heat while cooling the panels.

What no ideas? A forum full of science nerds and no ideas, really ?

This is a significant reason why flexible panels don't last long - they're always stuck to something hot.

I think heat sink of the ground would dissipate it

Need to walk on it.

1663903233253.png

Rocking and rolling want to stay in the center of the ship not fall off the side.

If it didn't break my wallet, I'd definitely buy it.

Me too.

Is there really a problem walking on standard flexible solar ? Like barefoot low impact.

As usual followed by a Google search I can never think of anything first ever ! "And if you have to, do it with your bare feet. This will help prevent cracks that may spread over time." https://www.conserve-energy-future.com/can-you-cut-flexible-solar-panels.php

Maybe this, maybe for once just once I think of something first maybe just once !!!

I just did and one ever thought of this >>> I don't get is why do they wear shoes on Star Trek?

The star trek ships are just like a boat there is nothing bad to step on. No one goes outside to track in dirt because of that whole vacuum of space thing. Everything on the ship is carpeted and clean. On a clean climate controlled carpeted futuristic starship the whole shoes and socks thing is as pointless as wearing gloves all day.

Anyway the thing I noticed is these flexible panels seem IMO to be over rated on output, is this true ?

False advertising? >

200W, 16 cells,
Item Dimensions LxWxH41.73 x 10.91 x 0.01 inches

That is 0.294 m^2, so 290W of sunshine lands on it. It produces 200W, 68% efficient.
Pretty impressive!

mounting the photovoltaic cell above obstructions such as trees or walking people seems popular.

if material science proceeds and a transparent and resilient material can be found, i shall celebrate.

as a pedestrian, an illuminated low albedo walkway gets hot and is undesirable compared to a shaded high albedo walkway which is cooler. toasty feet.

road based photovoltaic induction charging of electric vehicle is ultimate engineer challenge ?

maybe it could be good for race car which like to have warmer tires to grip the road, as the dark photovoltaic material will absorb light into heat.

maybe coolant could be pumped behind the photovoltaic panels and provide district heating.

a notable issue with photovoltaics intended to be traversed, is the shading issue.

if an electric car is above the photovoltaic panel, the shading reduces power output.

if mounted above the traversed path, shading is mitigated.

ok but it would be pretty rad to have a solar induction EV lane.

Back