diy solar

diy solar

Diy workshop solar system: How to do this, but connecting to existing electrical system?

lillo9546

Hi guys,
I'd like to connect the existing electrical system coming from the general electricity of my home, with a solar panel system to my workshop, which will be producing energy for my workshop, but, when the energy will be not avaiable cause it's night, and I am still working at the workshop, I could still rely on energy coming from my traditional home electrical system.
Which would it be the structure for this system, keeping in mind we are not using battery storing atm, but may be in the future, so we need to build with elements that would allow off grid in the future?
Also, it would be cool to have a dashboard which tell the total amount of energy used, and, in percentage, how much elecricity we have used from solar system and how much from traditional home electrical system. Is this possible?

Video reference

Hi guys,
I'd like to connect the existing electrical system coming from the general electricity of my home, with a solar panel system to my workshop, which will be producing energy for my workshop, but, when the energy will be not avaiable cause it's night, and I am still working at the workshop, I could still rely on energy coming from my traditional home electrical system.
Which would it be the structure for this system, keeping in mind we are not using battery storing atm, but may be in the future, so we need to build with elements that would allow off grid in the future?
Also, it would be cool to have a dashboard which tell the total amount of energy used, and, in percentage, how much elecricity we have used from solar system and how much from traditional home electrical system. Is this possible?

Video reference
What you are discribing is very possible. It’s easiest to do using an All in one inverter (or AIO) An AIO has everything that you need in one box to connect your supply from grid, your batteries and your solar panels together. In addition to the incoming power supply (grid and or generator) batteries and solar panels you will need the appropriate wires and breakers and or fuses appropriate for the wattage and voltage of the system you chose. The first thing you must do is determine how much energy you will need. Type energy audit or power audit into the forum search and you will find extensive help in this process. Once you have a handle on how much energy you will have the parameters you will need to begin the design of your system. Their is much to consider that will influence the right equipment for you such as building codes, budget, space, safety etc. but first you need to know what you want to have your system do for you.

thanks
What you are discribing is very possible. It’s easiest to do using an All in one inverter (or AIO) An AIO has everything that you need in one box to connect your supply from grid, your batteries and your solar panels together. In addition to the incoming power supply (grid and or generator) batteries and solar panels you will need the appropriate wires and breakers and or fuses appropriate for the wattage and voltage of the system you chose. The first thing you must do is determine how much energy you will need. Type energy audit or power audit into the forum search and you will find extensive help in this process. Once you have a handle on how much energy you will have the parameters you will need to begin the design of your system. Their is much to consider that will influence the right equipment for you such as building codes, budget, space, safety etc. but first you need to know what you want to have your system do for you.
requirement are 0.5/1 kwp solar system.
Budget is better to spend less, but on quality/price stuff.
Avaiable Space is 20m2, on the roof.
I could buy stuff keeping in mind future battery implementation.

Hi Lillo9546, your solar shed plan is very doable. Reminds me of my first big solar build for me, though now a days it seems so small, back in the 80’ for my workshop shed. The shed was a detached 20x20 shed that did have a single 110vac line feeding it from the house about 40ft away. I had Solarex VLX53 solar panel array spec’ed at about 1kw, 48 gell cell battery bank, Trace charge controller, and a Trace 2012 modified wave inverter. Over time I upgraded the batteries, charger controller, battery monitor, inverter, … The key to making this a viable solar or standard AC powered shed was the Transfer Switch. With the transfer switch cut into the shed’s power distribution box, I could choose to power the shed from the power company or from my solar system. I set up the transfer switch to be actively enable/energize off the solar system when the solar system inverter was turned on. Otherwise if not activated then the default of the transfer switch was to the power company. This shed project of yours is a great way for you to try out solar and see if it is something you want to do more of or not. I recommend starting with a system that you can afford within your budget. You can always upgrade/expand along the way as you can afford it and you find yourself being addicted to the solar bug.

Lastly, having the shed solar powered is a huge plus in times of no power. In 1989 I was out in my solar shed when Loma Preita earthquake hit. I was running on my solar system and it was in the evening. We were about 7 miles from the epicenter so we got a good shaking. As I was working and watching the World Series the shed started shaking and twisting. Once the earthquake stopped I went outside to find the entire south valley region, 100s of homes, dark without power. My shed had lights, TV, communication radios fired up, etc. So from my shed became a beacon for my neighbors since I had power and was able to let them know what was happening in this time of emergency. So please do build your solar power shed system. Solar power is a lot of fun!

Back