diy solar

diy solar

DIYing a Set of Folding Suitcase Panels

Just An RVer

No Step On Snek
I've seen a couple people here mention mounting two smaller solar panels on hinges to create a DIY suitcase panel. Main question: Can anyone who's actually done this speak to the durability and longevity of a DIY solution?

I want some portable panels to supplement my travel trailer's limited roof space.

I like the way this guy put bumpers and latches on it, but I wonder whether the frame would need to be reinforced if you were going to be handling it very often.

Well, you did say those with experience. And I don't have any. But those look ready to tip over if a gnat farts too close by. But I do think there must be some better examples out there and that conceptually there should be no reason you couldn't make something that would work. It might be easier to make something sturdy if you don't insist that the supports fold inside the panels. Some arrangement for some weights or stakes would be a good idea.

Its more likely to break getting blown over.
Yeah, securing the panels in place will probably be an issue for any portable panels of any size I'm not sure much can be done about that other than weighting them down. I have some 25 lbs sandbags that we use around camp when things get windy. That said, where I live, I think they could be at a pretty shallow angle most of the year.

I've had one of the Harbor Freight 100 watt kits with 4x 25 watt portable panels for a few years. They're somewhat smaller than modern 100 watt panels, but I've never had an issue with them getting blown around. They have plastic frames, so I don't use them in bad weather, anyway.

I DIY'ed a suitcase out of two 100 watt panels, but of course took it to the next level:

Hinged them on end so that they fold out like elongated wings.

A few reasons for that:

1) Lower profile. Mine never blew over, but it made it harder to do so. A pain to fold out, but....
2) That profile allows for improptu supports like thin pvc legs to be sturdier simply due to a shorter length

3) SHADOWS! This was the biggie. Ground-mounted suitcases, if laid down in grass or scrub, can later have shadows from them creep up over the bottom edge if you aren't paying attention.

But with the panels laying sideways more or less, the way panels are bypassed internally, having a ground shadow creep up over on just one long side more or less, instead of an upright mounting, can reduce the amount of degradation that shadowing will cause. (The upgright panel with ground shadow tends to shut the whole panel down, whereas if shadowed lengthwise, only half the production will be shut down)

If you get a solar nerd like myself pass by, and I see that, you'll get the nod of approval. :)

Tip: This applies to you single-panel weekend warriors too - lay it sideways.

Last edited:
Hinged them on end so that they fold out like elongated wings.

A few reasons for that:

1) Lower profile. Mine never blew over, but it made it harder to do so. A pain to fold out, but....
2) That profile allows for improptu supports like thin pvc legs to be sturdier simply due to a shorter length
3) SHADOWS! This was the biggie. Ground-mounted suitcases, if laid down in grass or scrub, can later have shadows from them creep up over the bottom edge if you aren't paying attention.
Thanks, Substrate! This is exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to hear.

If I use the same 100W 42x20 inch panels as the roof, oriented on the side,16 inch aluminum supports could hold the panels at any angle from 30° to 45°.

I was thinking of putting 4 100W panels in series. On the side, each set would be 7 feet long. This weekend I'll cut some cardboard the to the size of those panels and see how practical two 7-foot set-ups would be in real life. Assuming the modules in my panels are laid out the same as yours, and putting them on the side really does make a big difference in output with partial shading, I might leave them as individual panels, and just store them face-to-face with moving blankets in between when we travel.

42x20 suitcase? Sounds like my wife on a weekend trip.

I guess CIGS panels are out of the question? Roll them up.

No issues with stowing that much panel?

42x20 suitcase? Sounds like my wife on a weekend trip.

I guess CIGS panels are out of the question? Roll them up.

No issues with stowing that much panel?
I'm not opposed to CIGS panels in theory, but last I checked, they were more than three times as expensive per watt as glass panels but only about one third as space-efficient. They're certainly durable and convenient, but unless there's been some breakthrough recently, I just don't think they're the solution for this particular project.

I've got the storage space for four panels, either stacked flat or upright strapped against a wall, whichever they will tolerate better. That's one of the questions I had about durability. I didn't know which orientation was better for transportation, vertical or horizontal. In either case, I would separate the glass with something like a moving blanket. Anyone have any recommendations on transport?

You could easily put a couple of sand bags on the legs. That’s what I used to do.

I made a dual 100w flat panel setup that was very light. Sand bags held them well.

Butttt….the flexible flat panels suffered the inevitable fate of most all flex panels and died a very early death. ??

They are now expensive decorative window covers or plastic floor mats. ?

F550BF0A-74A8-489D-9DCB-916782072521.png528F9B52-7708-4F5F-BCF8-B15C3EEE9FCA.png

Last edited:
I need to mention that laying them on the side, rather than standing straight up, is a temporary suitcase style recommendation, not a quick-fix for a permanent install!

You could easily put a couple of sand bags on the legs. That’s what I used to do.

I made a dual 100w flat panel setup that was very light. Sand bags held them well.

Butttt….the flexible flat panels suffered the inevitable fate of most all flex panels and died a very early death. ??

They are now expensive decorative window covers or plastic floor mats. ?

View attachment 51196View attachment 51197
How long did they last before they died? What failed?

How long did they last before they died? What failed?
They lasted less than 1 year then would no longer produce anything over 5v. Even a replacement died an early death. They were not in full time use either. Az sun destroyed them quick. ? Waste of $300

Reactions: JGF
Thanks for your reply! If you don't mind sharing, what brand of panel were the ones that failed?

Thanks for your reply! If you don't mind sharing, what brand of panel were the ones that failed?
They were Suaoki 100w panels. Pure junk.:mad: I would stay using rigid glass panels A little heavier but will last a very long time. The picture from the OP shows a great ides for folding suitcase setup..

Back