diy solar

diy solar

DLG E-BOX 48100R, testing and tinkering.

Hello everyone, i'm planning to extend my small DIY off-grid system, i would like to add a Pytes E-BOX-48100R battery (currently i'm using 4x 12V / 30 Ah LiFePO4 in series). Maybe my question seems odd, but i haven't found this information:
can i use these type of batteries with a "dumb" solar controller and inverter? I'm using an MPPT charger which doesn't have CAN or RS485 (nor my inverter). Does this work, connecting the inverter and the charger directly to the battery (via busbars) and not connecting anything to RS485 / CAN?

Last edited:
Hello everyone, i'm planning to extend my small DIY off-grid system, i would like to add a Pytes E-BOX-48100R battery (currently i'm using 4x 12V / 30 Ah LiFePO4 in parallel). Maybe my question seems odd, but i haven't found this information:
can i use these type of batteries with a "dumb" solar controller and inverter? I'm using an MPPT charger which doesn't have CAN or RS485 (nor my inverter). Does this work, connecting the inverter and the charger directly to the battery (via busbars) and not connecting anything to RS485 / CAN?
Yes you can, what inverter you using? if your inverter can set voltage parameters you just need to set the parameters manually so you dont trigger battery bms cutoff, if you trigger battery cutoff voltage your battery will protect itself and read 0 volts until it detects current again.

This is my battery firmware version etc for reference.. (bought last week)

Code:
@
Command completed successfully
$$
PYTES_config>info
@
Device address      : 1
Manufacturer        : PYTES
Device name         : E-BOX-48100R
Board version       : SQBMSV15
Main Soft version   : SPBMS16SRP2203V1.5.4.C8
Soft  version       : V1.5
Boot  version       : V1.6
Comm version        : V2.0
Release Date        : 22-07-06
Barcode             : LC0B010402400434

Specification       : 51.2V/100AH
Cell Number         : 16
Max Dischg Curr     : -102000mA
Max Charge Curr     : 102000mA
Console Port rate   : 115200
Command completed successfully
$$
PYTES_config>
i have the same model. what's the latest firmware?

I picked up a third one of these and it is slightly different than my other two. The link 1 and 0 ports are side by side instead of vertical like my other two.

For some reason the new battery doesn’t seem to be communicating with the inverter. It syncs up with the other two, but eventually I get a fault due to the battery not communicating with the inverter.

The new battery is also at a very low SOC, I don’t know if that is a contributing factor.
Update:

I reconfigured the batteries so that one of my old ones was the master, the new one that wasn’t communicating with the inverter was the #1 slave, and my other old one was the #2 slave.

Everything is working now as the new one communicates with the other batteries but not the inverter. Perhaps the serial port was wired incorrectly or it is running a different firmware version? I don’t know!

It works in this configuration for anyone who may have a similar issue.

Yes you can, what inverter you using? if your inverter can set voltage parameters you just need to set the parameters manually so you dont trigger battery bms cutoff, if you trigger battery cutoff voltage your battery will protect itself and read 0 volts until it detects current again.
Thank you for your answer.
The inverter is a 400W Meanwell inverter (will be upgraded soon to 2kW), and the charger is a Powmr 60A MPPT, they don't communicate to each other. The charger charges up the battery to 55.6V max, so bms cutoff should not happen. The inverter turns off at 51V. I'm controlling the whole system with an ESP8266, i'm monitoring the PV voltage, PV current and the load so the bms should take care about charging and balancing the cells inside the battery. This whole system is running for about 3 months without issues, i only want to upgrade the battery from 48V/30Ah (4x12 V/30Ah in series) to a server rack battery, probably the E-box-48100R.
My plan is to connect the battery to the esp8266 via RS232 and this way i will know the SOC value from the BMS (currently i'm calculating the
SOC from charge / load difference over time).IMG_20221020_162516.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Guys,
I need some urgent help here, got 3 pytes batteries , 2 with the same soft Main Soft version : SPBMS6SRP2110V1.1

tried to update them both with the file here both are on ALM now... no idea what to do.
Both are reporting condition 4 - 100 percent

My 3rd one is with new soft

SPBMS16SRP2111V1.3.2

tried to pull that software down and use it but instead stuck the battery in:

BootLoader soft version: V1.6

Updata is ready!

Program start!

Any help will be gladly appreciated !
Did you get it out of bootloader. ?.. if so how.. I stupidly was messing around and put it into boatloader mode.. havent uploaded new firmware.. so kinda hopeing it times out.. have tried everything to reset it

Ok thanks for the guys on here for helping me out.. but

WARNING DO NOT ENTER BOATLOADER UNLESS YOU ARE UPLOADING NEW FIRMWARE AS THERE IS NO WAY TO EXIT THE BOATLOADER UNLESS YOU DO.

There are also three versions of the battery, A, B, and C at the current time and firmware is unqiue to the model..

hi guys. anybody know what B.V.St and B.T.St means? (ref: console response after pwr command)
1674541732396.png

hi All,
hope you can help.
Has anyone faced a similar issue before?
I have a solis 5kw inverter and 2 x E-box 48100 R Pylontech batteries.
all good last summer, this december I decided to switch to dual tariff and use the cheaper rate to charge batteries when I noticed the charge current became heavily limited (4A). ~
No errors or alarms on inverter or batteries. But it seems that the charge / discharge current differs from the 2.
because one of them reaches 90+ SOC the other is 70 or less they won't charge/ discharge at the same rate. I tried charging / discharging them separately and work just fine, it's when the 2 batteries are connected they just don't work together.

Attachments

• chart 2.png
    chart 2.png
    888.8 KB · Views: 38
  • chart.png
    chart.png
    66.4 KB · Views: 37
  • chart 3.png
    chart 3.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 37
hi All,
hope you can help.
all good last summer, this december I decided to switch to dual tariff and use the cheaper rate to charge batteries when I noticed the charge current became heavily limited (4A). ~
No errors or alarms on inverter or batteries. But it seems that the charge / discharge current differs from the 2.
because one of them reaches 90+ SOC the other is 70 or less they won't charge/ discharge at the same rate. I tried charging / discharging them separately and work just fine, it's when the 2 batteries are connected they just don't work together.
Take a look at the manual and set your batteries up that way. I’ve noticed if they are not configured correctly you either get an error or you get an incorrect or uneven SOC.

Stagger your + and - between the batteries, the master should have the communication cable configured to it as well as the main + and - to the inverter.

Take a look at the manual and set your batteries up that way. I’ve noticed if they are not configured correctly you either get an error or you get an incorrect or uneven SOC.

Stagger your + and - between the batteries, the master should have the communication cable configured to it as well as the main + and - to the inverter.
thanks for responding. I will connect both + and - from inverter to master battery.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    2.6 MB · Views: 25
And make sure the link 0 port is open on the master as well, I think it states that in the instructions.
Yes, Master Link1 connected to slave Link 0.
Master Link 0 free. I've added a picture above ...
the problem is , individually master is SOC 9%, slave is soc 94%. They are scheduled to charge tonight but not sure why the master auto charge doesn't kick in as it's below 10%

Last edited:
hi All,
hope you can help.
Hi @bogdann05 please take a look at the battery cell temperature when this happens. I think the batteries with old firmware restricts the charging and discharging current heavily, under cold temperature.

Hi @bogdann05 please take a look at the battery cell temperature when this happens. I think the batteries with old firmware restricts the charging and discharging current heavily, under cold temperature.
Hi Jutkko,
thanks for replying, I have the latest firrmware installed which has the charge settings for temperature.

Yes, Master Link1 connected to slave Link 0.
Master Link 0 free. I've added a picture above ...
the problem is , individually master is SOC 9%, slave is soc 94%. They are scheduled to charge tonight but not sure why the master auto charge doesn't kick in as it's below 10%
They are never going to balance with that kind of SOC deviation. You need to charge each one individually to 100% to get back in balance.

They should be pulling pretty even current under load. Use a clamp meter to see what kind of current is being pulled from each. The best practice is actually how you had them wired initially, pulling from the positive of one battery and negative of the other. Look at @Will Prowse videos showing this 'diagonal' approach. Any more than two batteries I would suggest using a bus bar.

They are never going to balance with that kind of SOC deviation. You need to charge each one individually to 100% to get back in balance.

They should be pulling pretty even current under load. Use a clamp meter to see what kind of current is being pulled from each. The best practice is actually how you had them wired initially, pulling from the positive of one battery and negative of the other. Look at @Will Prowse videos showing this 'diagonal' approach. Any more than two batteries I would suggest using a bus bar.
Hi themizz,

Thanks for responding. I've done that as well.

Charged them separately, after 2 or 3 cycles it ends up as shown. I had them monitored and gathered charge and discharge levels and current for a few days and logged all the data. I am waiting for an answer from Pylontech. Was wondering if anyone in this forum experienced anything similar and was looking for some help.

Back