diy solar

diy solar

DLG E-BOX 48100R, testing and tinkering.

Fantastic research! I wish I had this info in January.

So you managed to successfully get the battery communicating with 1x of the Schneider XW Pro...Something I thought was impossible without XanBus. Interesting....

*brain starts smoking*

Fantastic research! I wish I had this info in January.

So you managed to successfully get the battery communicating with 1x of the Schneider XW Pro...Something I thought was impossible without XanBus. Interesting....

*brain starts smoking*
No, I got it working with both of them. I think there is still room for Schneider to fix things to coordinate splitting the charging load, but for now setting manual limits on the Insight seem to produce acceptable results.

We'll see how this all works once I add the SCCs to the mix.

Looking to pick 6 of these up since they are the best bang for buck when it comes to UL listed batteries for California.

I've gone about 25% of the rabbit hole as you have gone and glad someone else is ankles deeper than I am.
The biggest miss with these seem to be the 50 amp max. Going to have to wire up some bus bar shenanigans with OCP to meet the pull requirements of 2 LV 6548's. Great job so far!

Looking to pick 6 of these up since they are the best bang for buck when it comes to UL listed batteries for California.

I've gone about 25% of the rabbit hole as you have gone and glad someone else is ankles deeper than I am.
The biggest miss with these seem to be the 50 amp max. Going to have to wire up some bus bar shenanigans with OCP to meet the pull requirements of 2 LV 6548's. Great job so far!
I'm currently sorting out bus bars myself.

IMG_2359.jpeg

Hi @mnd ,sorry for the novice question, but what cable are you using for the rs232 console access? Is it possible to wire rj11 on one side to rj45 going into a laptop?

Hi @mnd ,sorry for the novice question, but what cable are you using for the rs232 console access? Is it possible to wire rj11 on one side to rj45 going into a laptop?
I'm not aware of any mainstream laptops that still ship with serial ports and can't think of any that ever shipped with RJ-45 serial ports.

I grabbed an RJ-12 cable from my hoard and an RJ-45 to DB-9 and adjusted the pinout to work with the USB to DB-9 adapter.

I'm not sure why DLG didn't just use the standard "Cisco" RJ-45 serial pinout but it's easy enough to sort out.

I suspect DLG will sell you a cable, if you feel like paying for one.

Last edited:
Hi @mnd , I think this question is related to what you are seeing in the console access. I have 4 of these running in parallel into a Deye, I have BMS CAN comms to the Deye, however, there is a discrepancy in the Current reading being displayed. The inverter reads the Battery Current directly (presumably via a CT or Shunt). The Current is also being displayed via the 'LI-BMS' screen on the Inverter which is showing basically 25% of the value shown on the 'Batt' screen. DLG is saying the BMS is only commuicating the Current of the 'master' battery to the inverter and this is by design. Does this seem right and make sense to you?

Also, did you say you upgraded the BMS firmware? If so, are there any enhancements? Version info?

Hi @mnd , I think this question is related to what you are seeing in the console access. I have 4 of these running in parallel into a Deye, I have BMS CAN comms to the Deye, however, there is a discrepancy in the Current reading being displayed. The inverter reads the Battery Current directly (presumably via a CT or Shunt). The Current is also being displayed via the 'LI-BMS' screen on the Inverter which is showing basically 25% of the value shown on the 'Batt' screen. DLG is saying the BMS is only commuicating the Current of the 'master' battery to the inverter and this is by design. Does this seem right and make sense to you?

The current I'm seeing on the Schneider matches with what I see on the console of the battery, if I sum the "Curr" column in the "pwr" command.

The inverter charge current matches what the BMS is asking for (confirmed by using the RS485 low voltage protocol), which scales based on the number of batteries connected; 50A for one, 100A for two etc. (Be aware of this if you daisy chain more than two batteries as you can exceed the rating of the cables and connectors!) Later in the charge cycle the BMS ramps down the current and the inverter tracks.

In my setup, since I'm testing with two XW Pros, each inverter provides half of the current.

Also, did you say you upgraded the BMS firmware? If so, are there any enhancements? Version info?
All six of my batteries appear to be running the latest firmware.

I've ordered another six batteries and a "DLG 1U Hub" which can talk to seven strings of six batteries each. Two strings is about all I have room for but I'll report results of using it. I considered rolling my own, as I've got all the CAN protocol specs, but decided that I don't need yet another project.

@mnd it appears the BMS is limiting these to 100 amp discharge no matter how many are in parallel, are you seeing this as well? I have 4 going to a bus bar and the BMS is reporting 100 amp max discharge to the inverter.

@mnd it appears the BMS is limiting these to 100 amp discharge no matter how many are in parallel, are you seeing this as well? I have 4 going to a bus bar and the BMS is reporting 100 amp max discharge to the inverter.
That's not what I'm seeing here.

RS485 "LVP"
Bash:
$ .build/lvp_test  -a 0x12 -c 0x63
System Charge/Discharge Management Info
 1: 57.500 V    Charge voltage limit
 2: 47.000 V    Discharge voltage limit
 3: 12.5 A      Charge current limit
 4: 300.0 A     Discharge Current limit
 5: 0xc0        Charge/Discharge Status
        7 Charge enable                             1: yes
        6 Discharge enable                          1: yes
        5 Charge Immediately                        0: normal
        4 Full charge request                       0: normal

Schneider Conext Insight
1652926344268.png
(I'm not sure what to make of the difference between "Charge current limit" vs. "Maximum Charge Current")

The BMS doesn't know about connection topology and should simply sum the Master+Slaves when reporting Discharge current limits.

Are all four of your batteries connected via the link ports?

does anyone have software that works like a battery monitor? I would like to have more information about cells.
Christian

does anyone have software that works like a battery monitor? I would like to have more information about cells.
The serial console lets you query cell status, but the RS485 interface doesn't have any of that info available.

Supposedly dlg is releasing software in the next few weeks that will allow you to monitor the BMS. @mnd wouldn't the rs485 interface have to have that info since my deye can read BMS data from that port or from the can bus port

Supposedly dlg is releasing software in the next few weeks that will allow you to monitor the BMS. @mnd wouldn't the rs485 interface have to have that info since my deye can read BMS data from that port or from the can bus port
I analyzed the BMS firmware with reverse-engineering tools (Ghidra) and looked for all the supported RS485 commands, which I documented earlier in this thread.

My plan was to pull that info from the console, since the output it produces shows some concession to machine parsing (command response info starts with "@\n" and ends with "$$\n"). I wonder if their software will be doing the same thing?

Is there a reason these units aren’t getting more attention? It seems like a UL listed server rack battery is what a lot of people are after. I’m on the verge of either buying 6 of these or 6 of the eg4 that are now UL, but these can communicate with SMA while the eg4s cannot.

I think it's because everyone is now fixed on high-voltage batteries. The fact that high-voltage batteries are only batteries of the same type connected in series is ignored.

I analyzed the BMS firmware with reverse-engineering tools (Ghidra) and looked for all the supported RS485 commands, which I documented earlier in this thread.

My plan was to pull that info from the console, since the output it produces shows some concession to machine parsing (command response info starts with "@\n" and ends with "$$\n"). I wonder if their software will be doing the same thing?
I am in contact with Pytes in the Netherlands - nothing is known about the software there. They sent me Hyperterminal with which the monitoring should work - but that's just the command input. Are you already further with your program? I would be very interested
Christian

Back