diy solar

diy solar

Do all-in-one systems exist for DIY Solar Generators?

Capitalism

While MPP Solar/Growatt all-in-one boxes exist for those who have large-scale systems, they're really heavy (6kg/15 lbs), loud, and just generally bulky. Although one can DIY your own solar generator, that still involves a milk crate of wires and boxes. With LiFePo4 cells now available at ridiculously cheap prices, for those of us who want to build a compact 1-2 kWh system but not spend $1/watt-hour, are there any small scale all-in-one modules which include MPPT, inverter (and optionally a BMS)?

Last edited:
search on amazon:

ECO-WORTHY All-in-one Solar Charger Inverter Built in 3000W 24V Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter and 50A Solar Controller for Off-Grid System​

IS this what you mean?
This is not a recommendation, I have no idea if it's junk.

That is what he was describing: bulky, heavy (he said 15lbs and this one is 20lbs ?) and presumably loud.
I have wondered the same thing btw and I think the field is young.
This reminds me of 1982 and building a computer from scratch (286 cpu, 20mb hard drive) had to source all the parts. It seemed hard at the time.

reminds me of 1982 and building a computer from scratch (286 cpu, 20mb hard drive) had to source all the parts
And cost $3000
What's so great about an all-in-one anyway? Shorted out my inverter, my fault. Buying just an inverter, not the whole megillah.

The search term for units like that would be "inverter chargers" or "solar inverter chargers".

I don’t see anything like you are asking about. I cannot even find the mpp 800W model that Will did a review on a few years back.
I’m certain nobody makes one that has a BMS built in.
Maybe you could ask some of the manufacturers if something like it could be designed? There might me a market for it.
But, don’t expect it to be less expensive than a store bought solar generator, because essentially, hat is what it would be, minus the cells… and enclosure.
If you want this, most likely it would be far more expensive than an off the shelf unit…

I think when building something like this if you have an all in one it kind of puts you at designing around it and enclosure that it will fit including batteries. To me its best to do combination of components that 1) fits your budget 2) is best fit for your case/enclosure 3) best of best component combination.

This would be a really interesting project. I absolutely don't have the skills to do it. I would say someone should, but I feel like solar generators have really come down in price since they came out and idk if they're worth it to make your own.

Check out the Eg4-3000 all in one. I'm planning on integrating it into a48v 100ah portable. It's under $700.

Back